Akunin

Firearms

18 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

.( i built one cat dozer i customized took blue ribbon at model convention. i made the mistake of selling it)  . painted all detailed up with back grounds and all

Ironic you brought up Cat dozer , look inthe fixing Equipment thread , I worked on the real thing today , CatD3 radiator / water pump job , wish it was a model at home , LOL 

• Like 1

Firearms guys!!! Talk about firearms😆.

I've been able to buy .22 and 9mm at my local Fleet store. Not every day but just about every week. I had a good supply but I'm padding it some more. And they're not raping us either, charging the same as before. The other !!!!  in town tripled his price and only idiots are buying from him.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

LOL...yeah..back to the thread focus..sorry...

22lr...I honestly don't know how much is on hand...there's even several of the old winchest white boxes (550 count I think) that you used to see out on open shelves.. have price stickers of $11.97 on them.

The last 22 I purchased was back in I think May...the wife wanted one of the Ruger SR22s..a girl friend of hers has one...so I bought one at normal pricing..last of two they had at the LGS actually..and he had a 5-pack of the 100count CCI blazer on the counter.. I asked him if there was  a limit..he just smiled and handed me the entire box of 5...and we called it a day.. I believe those were still at the $8.xx/100

Thought that would be the last of any new ammo come my way and I've not been shopping at all, but I did a favor for a good friend..he had come down with Covid so I covered an audio gig for him but had the client send the payment to my bud..it was his gig.. I knew he needed the $.

week later I come home and there's a 2,000rd black box of 22lr on my front porch...said it was the least he could do.

i had picked up a couple case of 9mm back first of the year before all this crazy started ($140/bulk 1,000rd CCI brass)..so prices were great..and then when April started to show the supply hit, I got the call from a bud who is credentialed CWP training and retired deputy..so he is able to buy at police price from the cop shop..he called me from the store to tell me that he was holding the last 1,000rds they had and they said they had no idea when any more was coming in... he asked me if I wanted to split that with him..it was already a couple $ more a box but still at $14/50 PMC 124gr brass.. I figured..ok..fine  get me 500rds..and that boys was the last I've seen of 9mm  and at current panic prices...they are welcome to keep it.

my AR15 and AR10 supplies are in good shape, shy of a sustained war scenario (grin). as is my 45acp and I think I've got about 800 rds of 40 in various flavors for the old duty smith 4006.

With all the campaign promises of gun control, magazine capacity, etc.. I focused last Fall on adding whatever mags I thought I might want if we entered another Clinton era style ban...so even my lowly Ruger 10/22s have a number of 15 and 25rd mags now.. my AR platforms...well, got about 3 times what I would normally have planned to own in mags for those...and I doubled the mag count on my Sig M17 as those 21 rd mags are just plain evil in the sight of gun grabbers...so I figured they were worth the price of admission.

• Like 2

Does anyone have any experience with the 'Clay Canon'? Just saw one in a store and after looking it up on utube I've started to consider it. Thoughts?

20201204_221513.jpg

And just because I've grown fond of bullpups, I thought I would share while it was still legal

20201124_090241.jpg

• Like 5

Making your own rifle stock ain't as hard as you'd think.  For years this has been on my list of things I've wanted to accomplish in my lifetime.  One thing that has kept me from doing it was the time involved and the cost of a decent piece of wood.  Being retired all I needed to do was to find a piece of dead tree.  Keim Lumber in Charm OH has a very nice selection of reasonably priced pieces of lumber and for $38.00 I found a piece of Ambrosia Maple large enough to make 6 rifle stocks two of which would be nice wood, too decent having a few worm holes and two fair quality with only a small amount of striping and more worm holes.

This one was made using the decent wood having some marking and a few worm holes.  The only power tools used were the drill press, band saw and  few passes down the barrel channel with a table saw.  Rifle is my Savage FVSR in 22LR.  Scope is a BSA 3-12 Mil Dot side focus Midway clearance special from a few years ago.

20190227_084437.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Two of my buddies hunt till dark , Kim owns the land adjacent to my neighborhood  , it was too wet for him and he came back early soaked , Bill stood till 30 minutes pass sunset and could have shot a hog but waited and it didn't  developed >>>>>  Kim shoots and unusual gun , Model 721  , it was a military 30-60 sniper rifle , it had a scope on it that  went the length of the barrel , he took it off , had some work done to accept a modern scope and re-scoped it , he bought it from a guy that shot competition long range with it , it has a trigger job done to it and it is smooth as can be as I shot it this evening  , if nothing else it looks cool 

xroZv%%iQNyyUypYoy3P1Q.jpg

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Two of my buddies hunt till dark , Kim owns the land adjacent to my neighborhood  , it was too wet for him and he came back early soaked , Bill stood till 30 minutes pass sunset and could have shot a hog but waited and it didn't  developed >>>>>  Kim shoots and unusual gun , Model 721  , it was a military 30-60 sniper rifle , it had a scope on it that  went the length of the barrel , he took it off , had some work done to accept a modern scope and re-scoped it , he bought it from a guy that shot competition long range with it , it has a trigger job done to it and it is smooth as can be as I shot it this evening  , if nothing else it looks cool 

xroZv%%iQNyyUypYoy3P1Q.jpg

I hunt with a Remington model 722 made around 1954. .257 Roberts. I believe the 721 was the long action and the 722 was short action. Both are precursors to the 700. Mine is very accurate and has a great trigger.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Freedomflyer said:

Picked up this Browning White Gold Medallion .325 WSM with Leupold 4.54.5-14x50mm stainless scope.

20201205_222822.jpg

20201205_222832.jpg

20201205_222858.jpg

20201205_223012.jpg

20201205_222807.jpg

I had to look that caliber up.  Holy Bull Elephant!  That cartridge has nearly 4,000 ft lbs of energy 😳  Sure is a pretty combo too.

5 hours ago, PROV said:

I hunt with a Remington model 722 made around 1954. .257 Roberts. I believe the 721 was the long action and the 722 was short action. Both are precursors to the 700. Mine is very accurate and has a great trigger.

You and Kim would have a lot to talk about , he knows the history of the 721and the 722 , as he was rattling off yesterday and loves that gun , I got to shoot it yesterday and it is smooth , balanced perfectly , really light weight , feels good in your hands ,  the stock has been shaved down, smooth trigger as it had a trigger job done to it , he mentioned something about the bolt lengths , the scope is a Simmons Aetec , he said it is a 1,500 yard scope , I think I remember him saying they don't make that scope any more , 3x25x50something , the scope that was on it when he got it , ran the entire length of the barrel and was small diameter the whole way ---- that gun was bought from a old guy that shot long range competition with it and retired from shooting -----  

Thanks, yeah, not a very common caliber. Had to order the ammo online, as cant seem to find it around here. Not cheap, and with things the way thwy are it sure isn't going to get any better. Very nice gun, will probably rearrange my shoulder back to the shoulder blade 😃 It only weighs 6lbs 8oz. 

• Like 1

Ammo shortages?  Naaaa.  You just lookin in all the wrong places.

Fin Feather Fur is following Cheaper than Dirts lead on gouging. 

Screenshot_20201213-103549_Samsung Internet.jpg

Yah if you can find 9mm Ammo it will be at least double what it was or should be. Back in September one of my wife’s girl friends called saying she was at a local gun shop looking for 9mm Ammo for her new M&P Shield and they had some...having never bought ammo before because this was her first gun she wanted to know if the $100 they wanted for a box of 50 rounds was a ok price 😳. I told her to run out the door. That is the worst price gouging I have heard of. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I've been able to get 9mm still fairly often at our local Fleet store. They have had CCI Blazer, Federal and Browning - all 14.99/box 50. When they have had 100 rd boxes it's been around $38. They limit you to 2 boxes so everyone can get some. They are only 1 1/2 miles from my house so pretty easy to add to the stockpile. 

good to hear Prov..that's more what we'd call "normal" pricing.

Jan/Feb 2020 I was still buying 50ct boxes of Blazer brass, Federal, etc in 9mm for $10.99

my case (1k rds) purchase of CCI brass 115gr was $140 and free shipping.

my final purchase of the year was from the local cop shop..retired deputy friend called as he was standing at the counter early April...said he had hands on the last case of PMC brass and wanted me to split it with him $15/box.. I really wasn't interested, but he wanted to buy what he could and didn't have the $ to do the whole case, so I took my 500..glad I did now.

9mm isn't my primary but there's reason enough to have that caliber on hand...I think I'm sitting on around 4k give or take ok..maybe 4500 rds? 

I dunno.. I'm lazy about keeping good records...and sine we just aren't shooting much right now...I haven't really seen the green can stash since last Spring.

but $1/round?..!!  no thanks...if that's the new norm...then it'll be a while before I'm "normal".

Here in Minnesota our POS governor got caught slipping a million dollars into the budget bill for more gun control measures. Our Senate Republicans found it and are refusing to let it pass. It's only just beginning.......😠

• Like 4

10 hours ago, PROV said:

Here in Minnesota our POS governor got caught slipping a million dollars into the budget bill for more gun control measures. Our Senate Republicans found it and are refusing to let it pass. It's only just beginning.......😠

Makes me wonder what's in the federal Coronavirus stimulus bill that was passed without reading.

131987686_3269263359842243_7248333841133233872_n.jpg

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, 56Sierra said:

Makes me wonder what's in the federal Coronavirus stimulus bill that was passed without reading.

131987686_3269263359842243_7248333841133233872_n.jpg

I could tell you a lot of what's in it , but , we don't talk politics no more , so I would have to ban myself 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Winchester Alaskan 375H&H, another mod 70, Featherweight 30-06. Marlin 1895 Trapper 45/70, SKS, two Remington 12 gauge shotguns, 870 wingmaster & 1100. A couple 22 rifles-nylon 66, Rossi, some pistols, 44mag Ruger Alaskan, 1911 in 45, kel-tec 22mag. And of course...a couple of pellet guns to keep the squirrel population down. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Does your 44mag " Alaskan " model , load like a shot gun into  a feeder tube or does it use a clip , which I believe the older  style is called the 99-44 Deerfield Carbine --- both models pic'ed 

fullsizeoutput_dfe.jpeg

A .44 Magnum Alaskan is a revolver that has a short barrel.

• Like 1