Akunin

Firearms

The Ruger Alaskan in my bike handlebar bag. Has a heavy frame to handle bear loads.

59FFEAB3-B31A-4A42-8601-41ABAB0A9441.jpeg

• Like 5

I have the Super Redhawk with 7 1/2" barrel. I have to imagine that Alaskan had a bit more palm slap to it. Strongest revolvers out there.

The bear loads leave a little sting behind...shoot two or three off every spring so as to remember where to put the sights...they hit a few inches higher than the normal 44mag rounds. 340gr @1300 something fps +P round, from Buffalo Bore.

• Like 2

Those are arse kickers. I've shot some 300gr and they shoot higher than my 240's. More muzzle flip.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nanook said:

The Ruger Alaskan in my bike handlebar bag. Has a heavy frame to handle bear loads.

59FFEAB3-B31A-4A42-8601-41ABAB0A9441.jpeg

I should have known that Alaskan , use to watch that show about the gun dealer store and they had that gun on , had the cute girl with the different name for a girl , can't remember her name Willie or such , I use to like that show , seems every time I like something on TV it disappears from the cancel culture 

• Like 2

I've consolidated calibers in the last few years.  I have a single stack 9mm (M&P), a double-stack Springfield XD9, and a Taurus Public Defender.  My wife has a Bursa Thunder .380.  My go to rifle is a Remington 700 .308.  I also have a lever action 30-30 that was given to me.  A few shotguns round that out.

Over 7 million first time gun owners in 2020.  Guess that's why you can't find ammo. 

The politicians will still come after them.  They best be careful.  They might not get them the way they want to get them.

• Like 3

On 12/27/2020 at 3:59 PM, WonderMonkey said:

I've consolidated calibers in the last few years.  I have a single stack 9mm (M&P), a double-stack Springfield XD9, and a Taurus Public Defender.  My wife has a Bursa Thunder .380.  My go to rifle is a Remington 700 .308.  I also have a lever action 30-30 that was given to me.  A few shotguns round that out.

yep...I try to keep things consolidated..been interested in things like 10mm over the years but keep passing it up...not just the gun, but the ammo, and with a cal like 10mm, then the temptation to get into loading my own, etc...don't really need another hobby.

I've long been a 45 man..1911s all around so that was all I worried about stocking...The wife and i both had small colt mustangs for conceal carry, so a bit of 380..but not a ton of range time..so typically I'd have about 800 rds on hand.

then she wanted an M&P 9...so I got her into that platform and added about 1,000rds for her...she shot maybe 400 of that and lost interest in range time with it...so that 600rds just sits in her box.

All my kids (son and 3 daughters and their hubbies) shoot 9mm so it was always around me..but I didn't really have a platform I wanted to get into.

then more noise from politicians about "high capacity" evil firearms..and so I decided about 18 months back that I wanted to have at least one gun in my toolbox that ! off the gun grabbers...granted my wife's M&P goes to 17rd mags...but I started looking at the Sig striker fired 320 series and with the new M17 version out there with a 21rd mag that "form fit" to the grip, it caught my eye.  When I found the good boys at Flux Defense and realized my options with the Sig modular system...it became an exciting choice (search youtube for Flux MP17)..bit painful to get completely configured with Delta optics and light, etc..but so glad I did.

so, for a guy that has always been happy with an 8rd old 1911 platform. I have to give full credit to the politicals for motivating me to get into a new platform that brings higher round count to the street.

anyway...if it had been just a pistol , and not even my primary caliber, I likely would have tucked 300-500rds aside for it and called it done. but once I saw how much fun the Flux brace made it, and all my kids were shooting the snot out of it... I went ahead and grabbed a case of ammo...then, believing that the market last yeas was as good as prices were ever going to be, I added inventory...and sooo glad I did...would I like to have double the round count that I do?...sure...am I grateful for the several thousand rounds of 9mm on hand...you betcha.

it's still not my primary daily carry caliber...maybe come a day when it's dangerous just to get in and out of the grocery store without being caught in a real gun fight..then i might suit up with the 9..but for normal times, 8rds (and a reload mag) of 380 or 45 should be enough to end an encounter at the gas pump, etc..if it isn't, then i'm already having a really bad day.

I will confess that there is about 800rds of 40 for an old duty pistol (Smith 4006) from those days and a little bit of 38spl for the snubby that is my snake gun.....22lr of course for several pistols and rifles...and we are still able to enjoy backyard practice with that, as I have "plenty"  of 22 on hand

In that case Ruby my wife was not proud of me twice....😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Last fall (a year ago) I bought a Mossberg 500 .410pump. Always wanted one as my old man had a .410 which I used as a kid. Bought it, used it twice & realized I don’t have the draw to it like I thought.. so gonna sell it to a guy I know... $400 good deal... 

51 minutes ago, Wheeler said:

Last fall (a year ago) I bought a Mossberg 500 .410pump. Always wanted one as my old man had a .410 which I used as a kid. Bought it, used it twice & realized I don’t have the draw to it like I thought.. so gonna sell it to a guy I know... $400 good deal... 

The Mossberg 500 platform is solid.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wheeler said:

I have a Mossberg 500 .410 -----  guns must be expensive up there , just looked up the receipt ,  was $259.99  

• Like 2

Just now, Fishfiles said:

I have a Mossberg 500 .410 -----  guns must be expensive up there , just looked up the receipt ,  was $259.99  

I got mine on super sale last fall.. paid $375. New at Cabelas up here like $500

all firearms here are expensive. I'm gonna list my Gen 4 Glock 22 (.40cal) for $500. I'll sell it no prob for that price. I paid that when I bought it 10 years ago...

• Like 2

Wheeler, can you use a handgun anywhere besides a registered range? I don't believe they can in Ontario. I was in your neighborhood quite a few years ago. Met some people on the road in Banff and ended up staying a couple days at their farm in Condor (west of Red Deer) on the way home. Pretty county.

2 hours ago, PROV said:

Wheeler, can you use a handgun anywhere besides a registered range? I don't believe they can in Ontario. I was in your neighborhood quite a few years ago. Met some people on the road in Banff and ended up staying a couple days at their farm in Condor (west of Red Deer) on the way home. Pretty county.

No Handguns here (all across Canada) can only be used at a Range. BUT... if you are a Trapper & apply & get approved you can carry one only on your trapline to dispatch an animal still alive in a trap. 

I've owned 2 handguns for years now. I love them, wish I could carry, but our government will never allow that.. so I basically just have a couple expensive paper weights...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Wheeler said:

No Handguns here (all across Canada) can only be used at a Range. BUT... if you are a Trapper & apply & get approved you can carry one only on your trapline to dispatch an animal still alive in a trap. 

I've owned 2 handguns for years now. I love them, wish I could carry, but our government will never allow that.. so I basically just have a couple expensive paper weights...

That sucks. Hard to believe it ended up that way. I'll do everything I can to try and keep them from doing it to us.

• Like 3

Sold the .410 for $400. Glock sale is pending for $550. Has trijicon sights, tool for removal, Blackhawk holster. 

• Like 1

Sold the Glock, Rangefinder, scope, AR grip & .410 tonight. (Plus Holley Sniper Distributor) 

all in all good day!

• Like 1

I was able to buy 500 rounds of 9mm this week at normal pricing from our local fleet store. Just bumping up my supply while I can. They got 3 shipments this week and even got 45 auto. 

IMG_20210118_153720.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I saw someone list 4K small rifle primers for $300, and it SOLD in a matter of minutes. 

NUTS!

• Like 1

We pay $7 a box for CCI 200s & 250s. So that’s $280 for 4K. All the crazy prices u guys are now starting to see with ammo & shortages ect, are the norm up here...

uh hu.... and not enjoying it, i stored up long ago, been hoarding every sence ... i feel for those who aren't prepared for what MIGHT be coiming. 

me, one of my soninlaws, and 3 of my close buds went to the public range last saturday..mostly cause we just hadn't all gotten together for a long while..did some lunch etc..anyway..it was just 22lr day and we had the place to ourselves..freaky..but not unexpected.between pistols and rifles I think my SIL helped me chew through about 160rds of various leftover partial boxes.. CCI, remmington gold, browning, ...nothing special, just nice time to visit.

I'm satisfied with my inventory level for all of my various tools/calibers...just mostly hybernating my range time for now...have certainly gotten calls from friends and inlaws that know I'm a gun guy...or they call my wife... "hey....where can we find a gun and ammo?!!!"  

I just sigh, at this stage in the game.. I can't even remind them that I had tried months and years back to set an example, tried to warn...no..gently advise...them to get a firearm for their home and a few boxes of ammo.

can't lie, all this panic around me does give me that lil urge to want to go buy a bit more...even at these stupid prices.. I can imagine 2 years from now we'll be saying "man I wish I had bought more ammo when it was only a $1 a round"..but for now, I'll take comfort in what's in the closet..and pray that there's never a need to have bought what I did.

• Like 3

After 2008, I got those calls.  When prices went down again I told all of my friends "YOU BETTER BUY NOW!"   They did.

I'll be danged if I'm going to watch people take 4 vacations a year, blowing all of their income on bread and circuses, and then say "Hey, you have any ammo you want to sell at pre-panic prices now that I feel the need for it?"

Nope, I sure don't.  You should have bought when the buying was good.  Instead, you spent all your money eating out and going on vacations. 

I actually had quite a few heated arguments with my best friend's (the one who died in 2007) little sister.  She has gone full "woke" and went so far as to accuse me of having "wealthy white male blinders" on when I questioned her unflinching "big government will fix all the world's problems" and suggested that politicians do not have anyone's best interest at heart except their own.......  Anyhow, her husband sent me a text a few days ago asking if I had any "extra ammo".   No sir, I sure don't.  You might want to thank your wife for the current panic and lack of availability.

• Like 7