Akunin

Firearms

My latest firearm story , a little back round first , I have a 32 Barretta , my neighbor asked me if I knew where to get some bullets for a 32 , so I told him about my honey hole and he went and bought two boxes , later he told me thanks for the tip and said there were 8 more boxes of 32s - 50 in a box hollow points for $19.99 on the shelf  , so when I went I bought 5 boxes , should have got all 8 , mad at myself for that cause they were gone yesterday ---

any ways this is the story , I only had one magazine for that 32 and wanted a couple of more , so I looked for a few days and finally found some genuine Barretta magazines and ordered two , the listing said 13 shot , when they came in it was written on the bags , Barretta 32 10 shot clip , I looked at the invoice in the package  and it said 10 shot too , I contacted the seller and they said don't worry about it , I filled the mags this last night and they do hold 13 , I think I know why that happened the way it did 

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

My latest firearm story , a little back round first , I have a 32 Barretta , my neighbor asked me if I knew where to get some bullets for a 32 , so I told him about my honey hole and he went and bought two boxes , later he told me thanks for the tip and said there were 8 more boxes of 32s - 50 in a box hollow points for $19.99 on the shelf  , so when I went I bought 5 boxes , should have got all 8 , mad at myself for that cause they were gone yesterday ---

any ways this is the story , I only had one magazine for that 32 and wanted a couple of more , so I looked for a few days and finally found some genuine Barretta magazines and ordered two , the listing said 13 shot , when they came in it was written on the bags , Barretta 32 10 shot clip , I looked at the invoice in the package  and it said 10 shot too , I contacted the seller and they said don't worry about it , I filled the mags this last night and they do hold 13 , I think I know why that happened the way it did 

Must have ordered those on ebay....lol

yeah Jeep...even my wife doesn't know how much is on hand..she has never asked...only on occassion throughout the years when there's  a panic,  would she ask me  "do we have enough ammo?"  I just smile softly and say "yes, we're fine"  and that's the end of it.

one of her sisters married a yank and they live up in Conn...so they have "never needed a gun"  mindset...then last November as they watch all the news and riots..now they want a gun..first time in their lives..ok..that's fine...but she gets the phone call... "ask your husband what kind of gun we should buy and where can we get bullets!!!"   I just sigh..they expect a full gun class training and getting up to speed on the firearms industry and current panic in a 5 minute phone call..oh and they also wanted me to help them understand solar generator systems as they were looking at some emergency gimick web advertisement...again..this is the state of unpreparedness of so many folks..sorry..don't meant to turn this into a zombie prepper forum thread...there's other forums for that I know...but short is, I'm still enjoying my firearms shooting sports hobby, still training, just running a lot fewer rounds...all the toys are fully accessorized where I wanted them to be, all have  many extra mags and full capacity mags where applicable, parts and knowledge to maintain and repair, etc

• Like 4

Yes indeed, best to diversify. I can usually find ammo for at least one of the four pistol calibers or four rifle calibers. The two shotguns are well stocked. I try to stay at the couple hundred rounds level, for every caliber I own...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bighanded said:

yeah Jeep...even my wife doesn't know how much is on hand..she has never asked...only on occassion throughout the years when there's  a panic,  would she ask me  "do we have enough ammo?"  I just smile softly and say "yes, we're fine"  and that's the end of it.

one of her sisters married a yank and they live up in Conn...so they have "never needed a gun"  mindset...then last November as they watch all the news and riots..now they want a gun..first time in their lives..ok..that's fine...but she gets the phone call... "ask your husband what kind of gun we should buy and where can we get bullets!!!"  

I've had several of those phone calls.  I see it as a "Glad they finally sortof understand now" opportunity.  I have them come over and we look at things and explain this and that, talk about the mindset of a home invasion and the proper tool for the job, etc.  I then accompany them to a few of the local places and turn them over to some of the very knowledgeable people behind the counter.  I encourage them to sign up for a few courses but I always let them know that I'm there to help.  Again, I'm just pleased that a few people who didn't see some of the reasons are now seeing it.  We don't talk about the purpose of the 2A, but more about what is driving their decision.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Nanook said:

Yes indeed, best to diversify. I can usually find ammo for at least one of the four pistol calibers or four rifle calibers. The two shotguns are well stocked. I try to stay at the couple hundred rounds level, for every caliber I own...

I've had to diversify the TYPE of ammo within a caliber.  For example, 9mm.  I have normal acp, Critical Defense and even spent on the Critical Duty (LE or Responders) rounds.  I felt I had the minimum amount I required as things started to get hard to find, but I still buy when I see something for anywhere a decent price.

39 minutes ago, WonderMonkey said:

I've had several of those phone calls.  I see it as a "Glad they finally sortof understand now" opportunity.  I have them come over and we look at things and explain this and that, talk about the mindset of a home invasion and the proper tool for the job, etc.  I then accompany them to a few of the local places and turn them over to some of the very knowledgeable people behind the counter.  I encourage them to sign up for a few courses but I always let them know that I'm there to help.  Again, I'm just pleased that a few people who didn't see some of the reasons are now seeing it.  We don't talk about the purpose of the 2A, but more about what is driving their decision.

agreed.. I actually did a blended course , mostly from NRA material, of basic handgun safety, basic CWP law, personal defense inside and personal defense outside the home, oh, and the Refuse to be a Victim (which does not focus on firearms).. rolled all this into a Saturday at the house for what started out as a god daughter who had her home robbed and was just getting her first handgun. Sent her to a good LGS where they could help her size her hand. Wound up being her mom, her brother, and his wife for an informal class and then some back yard range time..and yes, sharing my 9mm and 22 to get them started. I don't pretend to be an instructor, just family sharing knowledge and trying to get them up to speed..pointed them towards reference material..online state laws, Massad's legal advise, etc. and gave them couple names of long time close friends who are credentialed with the state to provide the CWP.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bighanded said:

agreed.. I actually did a blended course , mostly from NRA material, of basic handgun safety, basic CWP law, personal defense inside and personal defense outside the home, oh, and the Refuse to be a Victim (which does not focus on firearms).. rolled all this into a Saturday at the house for what started out as a god daughter who had her home robbed and was just getting her first handgun. Sent her to a good LGS where they could help her size her hand. Wound up being her mom, her brother, and his wife for an informal class and then some back yard range time..and yes, sharing my 9mm and 22 to get them started. I don't pretend to be an instructor, just family sharing knowledge and trying to get them up to speed..pointed them towards reference material..online state laws, Massad's legal advise, etc. and gave them couple names of long time close friends who are credentialed with the state to provide the CWP.

I think it's great that you take the time to do that.  It makes for a more comfortable and knowledgeable gun owner.  And really goes beyond that and makes them smarter in defending themselves and their family.

43 minutes ago, WonderMonkey said:

I've had to diversify the TYPE of ammo within a caliber.  For example, 9mm.  I have normal acp, Critical Defense and even spent on the Critical Duty (LE or Responders) rounds.  I felt I had the minimum amount I required as things started to get hard to find, but I still buy when I see something for anywhere a decent price.

yep..plenty of options in my tool box..although pretty much all ammo is gone these days, but I don't need to buy so it's a wash

380 is my every day carry...lil 1989 colt mustang that has been on my side for the last 17years when I've had my concert biz

45 is my primary pistol..so when I want to "dress up" a bit, then there's a springfield and a kimber 1911s in ultra platforms as well as some fullsize 1911s and I like the 10rd Chip McCormick mags..they work reliably.

9mm stays in stock here cause my wife likes her M&P9 but she also has a colt govt 380 for purse carry as well as her own ruger sr-22 which she loves.

all my adult kids seemed to wind up with 9mm, so that cal is no stranger here at the house.. I did move into a Sig M17 in 2019 basically cause I was curious about a strikerfire platform and I wanted a pistol with that evil 21rd magazine capacity just to ! off the gun grabbers. That pistol quickly got migrated into a FluxDefense MP17 brace...look it up..you'll be cranked at what they created.  anyway...that took the normal 9mm inventory level up a few thousand clicks as the new platform is a ton of fun to run..so I'm very happy to have a healthy inventory of 9mm ammo now that was purchased at 2019 prices.. (whew!)

there is still that one old duty S&W 4006 boat anchor metal gun, but solid reliable and I tended to keep a dozen mags for it (have those LEO only 11 rd...remember this was Clinton era gun ban times when only cops could have 11rounds..the same pistol had 10rd mags for civilian purchase...makes a lot of sense right?)...there's probably about 800rds of range brass and maybe a 100rds of quality defense loads still here for that gun although it's not been out to play in a long while

the S&W airweight 38spl snubby is my yard working tool..keep it loaded with snake shot and it's so light on the belt..probably only a couple hundred rds of that ammo..never intended to have a lot of that on hand.

long guns include the usual assortment of 12ga, Dad's old 16ga, with bird, buck in various, and rifled slugs..more than enough to survive zombie days

30/30 lever for deer ..around here, they are small and our woods tend to be thick..so 100yards is all we need..Lever-evolution rounds tend to help that little rifle get out to 150yds, but no real need.

5.56 on hand for both the ruger mini 14 and a decent AR15

and  7.62 for the AR10 when I want to reach a bit further out.

22s are for fun plinking..the wife has her own 10/22 and SR22 and I enjoy my ruger takedown and a couple near antique Mark 1 pistols..and try as I might to burn through the rounds on that, I know I still have at least 3 boxes of the old winchester 550rd you used be able to pull right off the shelf at a walmart..they have $11.97 price tags on them...it'll e a long while before I have to crack the seal on the 2,000rd plastic case stuff ..but again, that's about all I'm shooting for fun right now.

Was looking for ammo this last Saturday, EVERY store I went into has zero .22 ammunition,  and 0 hand gun ammo,  very little long gun ammo, a bit of 300 win mag ammo nothing else.  I  have been buying as much .17 as I can get, they seem to have plenty of that. But 2 box limit per caliber per day. Nothing on the shelves anyway.  .17 is 14.00 per 50, .22 if you can find it is .26 per round. I too remember the Walmart days of 550 rounds for $8.38, what an idiot I was for not buying a buttload of it. I just got a rifle that was my father inlaws, a weird caliber, .325 wsm. Ordered  7 boxes of 20 rounds was over $500.00. I  have a friend at one of the sporting goods stores that told me he will start pulling some ammo for me, I  think thats one of the only ways a guy is going to get a hold of it is if you know  someone .

Edited by Freedomflyer
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Freedomflyer said:

I  have a friend at one of the sporting goods stores that told me he will start pulling some ammo for me, I  think thats one of the only ways a guy is going to get a hold of it is if you know  someone .

thats exactly what deal  i have going with a friends (Allen) at teds sporting goods.... another plus is it's a family owned local business .. my family has been dealing with for over 50 years ... my grandfather even gave them a trophy buck he shot  when he was in his late 40's still mounted on the wall, with a few other trophies from long time members of the community. 

image.jpg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Freedomflyer said:

Was looking for ammo this last Saturday, EVERY store I went into has zero .22 ammunition,  and 0 hand gun ammo,  very little long gun ammo, a bit of 300 win mag ammo nothing else.  I  have been buying as much .17 as I can get, they seem to have plenty of that. But 2 box limit per caliber per day. Nothing on the shelves anyway.  .17 is 14.00 per 50, .22 if you can find it is .26 per round. I too remember the Walmart days of 550 rounds for $8.38, what an idiot I was for not buying a buttload of it. I just got a rifle that was my father inlaws, a weird caliber, .325 wsm. Ordered  7 boxes of 20 rounds was over $500.00. I  have a friend at one of the sporting goods stores that told me he will start pulling some ammo for me, I  think thats one of the only ways a guy is going to get a hold of it is if you know  someone .

Ammo and components are almost 10 times the price of what they were a year ago.  Last time I bought .224 bullets they were 6 cents each for the Hornady V Max and 7 cents for the Nosler Ballistic Tips.  I bought 1,500 of each.   8# of powder was $184 delivered and CCI 400 primers right at $35.00 OTD for 1,000.  This was early February 2020.  

On 2/3/2021 at 8:49 AM, Bighanded said:

You can never have too much ammo unless you're swimming or on fire........

• Like 8

10 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

You can never have too much ammo unless you're swimming or on fire........

Preach

• Like 1

Can anyine tell me what the big difference between a Glock G20 gen 4 and a Glock G40 gen 4 is? Dont know much about Glocks. Thanks in advance. 

Nice! Beautiful bird and gun. Have never done any bird hunting but have access to some great property to pheasant hunt.  They don't allow anyone but family to hunt there and there are hundreds of roosters there. Just was never my thing I guess, I like big game, probably wouldn't have the skill to bird hunt, admire those that can and do.

I ended up making a couple of purchases. This last month,  Glock G40 10mm and a Glock 19 9mm. Going to pick up the 19 on Wednesday.  My 10 came with a nice supply of ammo, both came with holsters and extta mags. 

Edited by Freedomflyer
  • Like 3

Ruby , do  you have a pheasant mounted ---- check out this mount  

BvaRZfalR+mpul9dAv4Xsw.jpg

• Like 1

Never been a glock fan.  They were well made pistols, but ugly as sin to me, and the ergonomics are all wrong for me.  I prefer the 1911.  Just fits my hand better, and naturally points well.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Never been a glock fan.  They were well made pistols, but ugly as sin to me, and the ergonomics are all wrong for me.  I prefer the 1911.  Just fits my hand better, and naturally points well.

I'm a CZ75 fan myself.   Mechanical genius and accuracy too.

• Like 1

I get it, they are not the best looking guns, however they are very dependable in are real picky about the ammo that goes through them. In this day and age you take the ammo you can get.  And trying to find our munition around here is like looking for a needle in a haystack. I do like the 1911 and the feel of it but at the end of the day I would rather have 15 or 17 rounds in my gun then 8. As far as fitting my hand it fits just fine I have a very wide hand and was having problems finding something big enough, these 2 seem to fit the bill for me.

• Like 3

Oh, they are by far the most popular handgun made today.  They are well made, and reliable.  Just not my cup of tea. 

I do have smaller hands....and extra mags.  LOL

I have an old Ruger P85 if I want high capacity.  Grip is too big for me to really enjoy shooting it, but the plus is if I run out of ammo I can bludgeon someone with it since it's so dang big and bulky.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Ruby , do  you have a pheasant mounted ---- check out this mount  

BvaRZfalR+mpul9dAv4Xsw.jpg

That is a beautiful mount.  No I have never mounted a pheasant.