Akunin

Firearms

20 hours ago, Freedomflyer said:

Nice! Beautiful bird and gun. Have never done any bird hunting but have access to some great property to pheasant hunt.  They don't allow anyone but family to hunt there and there are hundreds of roosters there. Just was never my thing I guess, I like big game, probably wouldn't have the skill to bird hunt, admire those that can and do.

I ended up making a couple of purchases. This last month,  Glock G40 10mm and a Glock 19 9mm. Going to pick up the 19 on Wednesday.  My 10 came with a nice supply of ammo, both came with holsters and extta mags. 

The shotgun is a 28ga Browning BPS. I love hunting pheasant with the 28ga. My favorite is my Citori Feather Lightning Combo, it is a 2 barrel set with interchangeable 28 & 20ga barrels. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 01RUBY500 said:

image.jpeg

Now I think a set up like that would get me interested.  That is so cool! Beautiful, love the engraving how is it to get ammunition for it? The only shot gun ammo I see up here is 12 guage and it seems to be pretty readily available. Other than that not much on the shelves.😕

9 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Oh, they are by far the most popular handgun made today.  They are well made, and reliable.  Just not my cup of tea. 

I do have smaller hands....and extra mags.  LOL

I have an old Ruger P85 if I want high capacity.  Grip is too big for me to really enjoy shooting it, but the plus is if I run out of ammo I can bludgeon someone with it since it's so dang big and bulky.

LOL! That looks like a well built gun but does look a bit heavy. I know the Glocks aren't anything special to look at but the G40 10mm fits my hand really well,  my palm is a little over 4 1/2" wide so it's nice to not have my hand sticking below the magazine. 

7 hours ago, Freedomflyer said:

Now I think a set up like that would get me interested.  That is so cool! Beautiful, love the engraving how is it to get ammunition for it? The only shot gun ammo I see up here is 12 guage and it seems to be pretty readily available. Other than that not much on the shelves.😕

I have not seen any hunting ammo for any gauge in 9-10 months, but I still have 6-7 boxes left in my stash for this gun. Only thing that I can find sporadically here is 12ga target loads. I recently got about $400 worth of reloading supplies so hopefully that will keep me going until the ammo famine is over....that and the 1000+ rounds I already have loaded for each gauge. I shoot a lot of Trap, Skeet, & 5 stand competition and practice. I have a PW 800 Plus reloader that can do any gauge. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 01RUBY500 said:

image.jpeg

Ooh la la that is one purdy setup ya got there.  I found shooting the cheap Turkish O/Us allows me to blame the gun when I miss.  And I do often.😉

• Haha 1

lot of clay shooters in my area and with a guy at work being really into it and his son in youth club...I was really getting tempted to get into the sport 2 years back...I just knew I needed another hobby like a hole in the head...so I kept putting it off.

used to hunt pheasant, rabbit, deer  in Ohio when I was a boy with my Dad...those birds...man when they explode in flight right out of the brush in front of you...it'll make your heart jump...love it!

I still have the 16ga model12 that he used his whole life...full choke tight pattern. I wanted to make sure my kids, my grandkids would be able to experience that shotgun, so few years back when it was cheap, I made sure to stock up on bird/buck/slugs, as I figured 16ga just isn't a popular round anymore and I wanted to have plenty to feed it...glad I did.

my home defense shotguns are 12ga..actually have trained in several levels with one of them...so there is plenty of ammo for the 12...mostly buck and the rifled sluggers..remington and federal...I honestly don't know my inventory. I think there's 200-250 per 50cal can?...I think 8-10 cans on hand?...and there's a couple hundred of the 16ga.

but these days, me and my buds tend to keep it to just 22 for range fun.

and the endless Glock fan wars...I gotta admit I'm in Jeep's camp.  I'm an old 1911 guy..and advanced training has taught me fast mag changes..but to the point, if ya got 17 in hand, you don't need to change a mag (grin).

don't get me wrong, I've got a number of other platforms here in calibers other than 45acp.  And I sure never want to get in a "gun fight" where the perp is raining from higher capacity pistols/rifles and all I usually have on me daily is a little colt mustang 380..7 in hand, 7 more in the spare..that's a bad day.

I do own a Sig M17..that's 21rds of 9...but that unit quickly got migrated to the Flux MP17 brace module...unit is ridiculous to holster for carry, but it rides in a laptop bag very nicely.

many friends own glocks.. I've shot them, accurate. functional... I don't know that I've been on a factory glock trigger cause to a person and their guns, they all quickly want to do trigger mods..but then I'm not a fan really of any of the polypistol trigger systems..including the Sig striker fire..got spoiled with the SA 1911s

• Like 1

Man , I don't know what came over me , I went out in my 12 ft flat boat and took every gun I own and all the ammo , it was too much for the boat and it flipped over in the river , was 300+ foot deep and I lost everything but my sling shoot , do I have to worry about  sling shots going on the list for banning any time soon  ----   LOL 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Man , I don't know what came over me , I went out in my 12 ft flat boat and took every gun I own and all the ammo , it was too much for the boat and it flipped over in the river , was 300+ foot deep and I lost everything but my sling shoot , do I have to worry about  sling shots going on the list for banning any time soon  ----   LOL 

LOL!!! Couldn't use that one here,  our rivers here are like creeks or streams to you guys. In the summer can walk across most of them and only be knee to waist deep.  Snow melt run off. Now lakes? Took all mine out in a canoe while fishing and landed a big one that capsized the canoe, barely made it the shore.  Can't remember what part if the lake or even what lake for that matter, was so traumatized!!!!!😁😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, 01RUBY500 said:

I have not seen any hunting ammo for any gauge in 9-10 months, but I still have 6-7 boxes left in my stash for this gun. Only thing that I can find sporadically here is 12ga target loads. I recently got about $400 worth of reloading supplies so hopefully that will keep me going until the ammo famine is over....that and the 1000+ rounds I already have loaded for each gauge. I shoot a lot of Trap, Skeet, & 5 stand competition and practice. I have a PW 800 Plus reloader that can do any gauge. 

Reloading supplies are as scarce as a fart in the wind here.  Gone off the shelves instantly.  We Jaycee alot of 12 guage for some reason.  Time to round up a shot gun for the house. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, 56Sierra said:

I'm a CZ75 fan myself.   Mechanical genius and accuracy too.

I have a 75 I traded a M&P for. Heavy gun, no recoil in 9 mm. I haven't shot more than a dozen rounds from it. Intended to use it for competition but haven't embraced it yet.

Not too many months ago now , I was in Sportsman Warehouse in Slidell , the ammo section was totally blanked out , but the reload section was full to the tilt , went back there a week ago and the reload section is  pretty much nada , guess with the lack of ammo , people got into reloading , it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out ammo is going to get harder and harder to get with things the way they are right now with slow-joe  running the show for that other guy 

I had a 12 gauge reloader with some supplies , wasn't using it and sold it to a buddy ,  right before this ammo pandemic started , stupid mistake , worst mistake then taking all my guns on a 12 flat boat in 300 foot of Mississippi River water , LOL 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

I was waiting for the perverbial boat capsize post. 

• Like 1

They lost a B 25 Mitchell bomber in the river near Pittsburgh never to be seen again.  Your guns ain't never coming back.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Freedomflyer said:

LOL! That looks like a well built gun but does look a bit heavy. I know the Glocks aren't anything special to look at but the G40 10mm fits my hand really well,  my palm is a little over 4 1/2" wide so it's nice to not have my hand sticking below the magazine. 

It's pretty much like a holding a brick that has a barrel and accepts a magazine!

4 hours ago, 56Sierra said:

Ooh la la that is one purdy setup ya got there.  I found shooting the cheap Turkish O/Us allows me to blame the gun when I miss.  And I do often.😉

Nice play on words.  Not sure if it was intentional or not LOL.  Not that I'll ever have one, but I did look at and fondle a couple of them when I was younger.

28 gauge is about the ONLY ammo on the shelves around here.  Not many people shoot them so it's the one thing people aren't buying as soon as it hits the shelves.

• Like 1

And 28ga has never been very cheap. Always been almost double the price of 12ga. 

I had a nice 20Ga. that was lost in my first marriage , my Dad had given it to me , was a Ithaca 20 pump , bottom eject , ventilate rib and better quality all in-laid with pheasants and ducks ,  was a fine gun , very light weight and kicked like a mule for a 20  ---- when I was a kid , use to see a lot of 28 and 32 gauge  , have not seen any 32 gauge shells in years  

It was a little fancier than this pic , with the rib sight and the engravings were in laid with gold  ---- 

image.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Nice play on words.  Not sure if it was intentional or not LOL.  Not that I'll ever have one, but I did look at and fondle a couple of them when I was younger.

28 gauge is about the ONLY ammo on the shelves around here.  Not many people shoot them so it's the one thing people aren't buying as soon as it hits the shelves.

Glad someone caught it

13 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

I had a nice 20Ga. that was lost in my first marriage , my Dad had given it to me , was a Ithaca 20 pump , bottom eject , ventilate rib and better quality all in-laid with pheasants and ducks ,  was a fine gun , very light weight and kicked like a mule for a 20  ---- when I was a kid , use to see a lot of 28 and 32 gauge  , have not seen any 32 gauge shells in years  

It was a little fancier than this pic , with the rib sight and the engravings were in laid with gold  ---- 

image.png

My dad talked about an 8 ga that his dad had back in the 40s and 50s. No idea where it went. I know all of his old stuff my uncle took and sold years before my grandpa passed away. I just have a 99 dolllar single shot 410 from him that my uncle gave him in trade for all of his other guns.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 87Iroc said:

My dad talked about an 8 ga that his dad had back in the 40s and 50s. No idea where it went. I know all of his old stuff my uncle took and sold years before my grandpa passed away. I just have a 99 dolllar single shot 410 from him that my uncle gave him in trade for all of his other guns.

An 8 ga?  I'll bet that thing would tear your shoulder right off!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, WonderMonkey said:

An 8 ga?  I'll bet that thing would tear your shoulder right off!

Look back thru this thread , I linked a 8 gauge  being fired , a 6 gauge   , a 4 gauge and one even bigger 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Look back thru this thread , I linked a 8 gauge  being fired , a 6 gauge   , a 4 gauge and one even bigger 

I'll do that.