Akunin

Firearms

I just bought a Winchester 22 to give to dad.  One he's always wanted since he was a kid, but would never buy for himself.  Stopped by the shop this weekend to see if it came in (it hadn't) and they were sold out of just about all ammo.  What they did have they were selling loose in baggies to try to spread the limited supply around. 

I'm not buying at these crazy prices.  Not selling either, because they might not ever go down again!

I got a 325 pack of Federal .22 at Wally World this morning for $18. That's a fair price.

• Like 2

That is not terrible,  not a .22 round to be had around these parts.  Saw a brick of 500 about a month and a half ago 34.95.  Crazy.

4 hours ago, Freedomflyer said:

That is not terrible,  not a .22 round to be had around these parts.  Saw a brick of 500 about a month and a half ago 34.95.  Crazy.

I think the $34.95 / brick for junk stuff is the new norm for a while.   It's hard to find it even at that price nowadays.   My last purchases were June 2020 and got a 500rd box of Remington Thunderbolts for 20 bucks and February found 555? rd boxes of Blazer for 17 bucks.  Neither one of them are good for anything more than beercan at 50yd accuracy.   Prior to all this madness Target Sports was selling 5,000 rds of CCI Standard Velocity for $235 delivered.  Since my last bunch of CCI SV sold for 20 bucks a brick and I still had about 2k left, dummy me didn't get another case.

• Like 1

Wether it is true or not , I don't know , but I have been told by people who competition  shoot a lot , they say standard velocity .22 are more accurate than high power , they say stay under the 1280 mark -----  but with that being said , I know the .22s I have are temperamental with what bullets you are shooting , the Ruger 10-22 is terrible about ejecting low velocity  bullets  and my MP22-15 , which all the reviews and videos  say shoot anything , will jam with cheap bullets 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

Wether it is true or not , I don't know , but I have been told by people who competition  shoot a lot , they say standard velocity .22 are more accurate than high power , they say stay under the 1280 mark -----  but with that being said , I know the .22s I have are temperamental with what bullets you are shooting , the Ruger 10-22 is terrible about ejecting low velocity  bullets  and my MP22-15 , which all the reviews and videos  say shoot anything , will jam with cheap bullets 

As a generalization yes, that is true.  If a bullet transitions from a velocity over the speed of sound to one below the speed of sound instability occurs.  A centerfire round does the same thing.  That's why rounds like the 224 Valkyrie came out.  It would go a longer distance before entering the transonic speed.

I have found CCI Mini Mags to shoot very well at 50 yards.  They stay supersonic at that range.  I've never been confident enough to put my chronogragh out that far to see what the velocity is at that distance but on one lot out of one rifle I got over 1,400 FPS at the muzzle.

• Like 2

Kick my self every time I think or hear about .22 ammo thinking I should have bought it when I used to see it at Walmart for $8.37 for the boxes of 550. I have about 6k rounds of various brands but been so long since I've been out shooting that can't remember how the different brands shoot. I  did get a hold of a couple 100 round boxes of CCI a month or so ago,  they we only allowing 2 boxes per customer per day, bought them in the a.m. went back in p.m. (was going to go to different check out counter) they were gone. The bullets themselves are coated with some sort of red coating,  supposedly to help keep your gun barrel clean. Haven't had a chance to try them yet. They were $9.99 for 100, remember as a kid (12yrs old) going to the local hardware store, walking in on the creaky old wooden floor to the gun area and buying the (Expensive) CCI boxes of 100 for $1.19.  Can't remember what brand the cheap ammo was but it was $2.59 a brick, just over 1/2 a cent per round. Local farmers used to pay us kids .01 per gopher tail. (ground squirrels here)  Kept us out of trouble and in bullets to keep shooting. Benefits of living in small-town rural Montana, if the store owner and employees knew you and your parents and you weren't a problem kid, they sold to you even under age. Those were the days. Have an old Winchester single shot bolt action .22, very accurate I collected a lot of tails,  bullets lasted me a long time 😁

20210309_125440.jpg

20210309_125349.jpg

Edited by Freedomflyer
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, Freedomflyer said:

. Have an old Winchester single shot bolt action .22, very accurate I collected a lot of tails,   😁

67 or 47?

My first gun was a Winchester 47.  Dad gave it to me on my 10th birthday.  It was his first gun when he was a kid. 

And std velocity is absolutely the most accurate.  If you have older guns it is also recommended that you shoot std vel instead of high velocity.  Some of the older guns aren't rated for the pressures that modern hi velocity rounds have.  Old High Standard pistols can have the frames crack shooting high velocity.  Older rifles like the Remington Model 12 (pump 22) can have the bolts crack.  Smith and Wesson 41's (22 target pistols) suggest only std velocity be fired.

Only problem is, all the cheap ammo now is high velocity.  I grew up shooting Winchester Wildcats and Remington Thunderbolts.  $10/brick (500 rounds).  Even Sam's Club carried 22 ammo back then.  Buck a box (50) at the local hardware store.

• Like 2

My 10-22 and Marklll Hunter like Federal, CCI and Aquila. Remington green box don't cycle at all. Too much case lube. My M&P 15-22 likes most everything and is extremely accurate.   

47 minutes ago, PROV said:

My 10-22 and Marklll Hunter like Federal, CCI and Aquila. Remington green box don't cycle at all. Too much case lube. My M&P 15-22 likes most everything and is extremely accurate.   

I think part of my problems with the Smith and Wesson MP 15-22 is loading the magazines properly  , they have to be perfectly staggered and pushed all the way to the rear of the magazine or it can jam when loading  ---- does yours have the blue spring , if not S+W will replace it free under warranty but you have to send it to them , read the early models had a different spring ,  the blue spring  suppressively makes it more friendly to any bullets 

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

I think part of my problems with the Smith and Wesson MP 15-22 is loading the magazines properly  , they have to be perfectly staggered and pushed all the way to the rear of the magazine or it can jam when loading  ---- does yours have the blue spring , if not S+W will replace it free under warranty but you have to send it to them , read the early models had a different spring ,  the blue spring  suppressively makes it more friendly to any bullets 

I have 4 mags and none have a blue spring. About 3 years old. When I load I depress the loading button only enough to get one bullet in at a time. I know some of the early models had a problem and you had to tweek the bolt guide rod a bit.

9 minutes ago, PROV said:

I have 4 mags and none have a blue spring. About 3 years old. When I load I depress the loading button only enough to get one bullet in at a time. I know some of the early models had a problem and you had to tweek the bolt guide rod a bit.

Not the mag spring , the bolt spring needs to be blue ------ I found the thread I had read it in  , here is a quote copied and pasted 

"Another thing to verify is whether your bolt spring is blue in color or not. The springs on the earlier models had problems, and S&W changed them out for the blue ones. If yours isn't blue send it in to S&W for a free warranty fix."

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Freedomflyer said:

67 or 47?

I need to look I am not sure

47 is a little more rare. The 67 was sold as the "boy's rifle" and had a cocking knob on the back of the bolt.

Both are excellent 22 single shots.

4 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

The 67 was sold as the "boy's rifle" and had a cocking knob on the back of the bolt.

Well,  you know your rifles, it is a 67, I "kilt" a lot of ground squirrels with it.

20210407_175220.jpg

20210407_175245.jpg

• Like 1

I had a pretty .22 that my grandmother bought me for my 18th birthday when I graduated high school , that I lost in my first marriage to the voo-doo princess , it was a Browning semi auto two piece break down , the scope stayed on the gun when  broke down  , it loaded thru the stock into a tube 

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=browning+.22+semmi+automatic&&view=detail&mid=65F2519420F6956A25BA65F2519420F6956A25BA&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=%2Fvideos%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dbrowning%2B.22%2Bsemmi%2Bautomatic%26%26FORM%3DVDVVXX

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Freedomflyer said:

Well,  you know your rifles, it is a 67, I "kilt" a lot of ground squirrels with it.

20210407_175220.jpg

20210407_175245.jpg

Well I'll be darned. After I saw that picture I looked in my gun safe and I have one. It was my mother's. Her brother bought it for her graduation in 1956 I believe. I haven't shot it in many years. The stock isn't as pretty as that one.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

47 is a little more rare. The 67 was sold as the "boy's rifle" and had a cocking knob on the back of the bolt.

Both are excellent 22 single shots.

Just saw a 47 sold online for 300 bucks....

Edited by TBRider

5 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I lost in my first marriage to the voo-doo princess

Oh Fish that's too bad, that is an awesome looking little gun, real sorry to hear that.

After I got out of college back in the 70’s I bought a Weatherby Mark XXII semi auto.22, it was a beautiful little gun. I sold it after about 10 years maybe longer, they were out of production by then, because it jammed too much for my liking, maybe why they stopped making them. Used the money to by a Ruger 10/22 that I still have and have tricked out. Wish I still had the Weatherby it might be worth something today and maybe it was fixable by a good gunsmith. 
Anyway here is the tack-driver Ruger. 

2430CC5A-ECFC-4DAB-9C27-BABF83712E9C.jpeg

• Like 3

I had the same problem with the Mk XXII and also wish I had kept it.  Built up a 1022 but was never impressed with the accuracy so it went bye bye.   Dummy me thought all 22lr  ammo was created equal.   What's really bad is I had been reloading CF for years and understood how much better a pet load was to get the best from a rifle.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, TBRider said:

Just saw a 47 sold online for 300 bucks....

If in good shape, worth it IMHO.  When you compare one of these old Winchesters to a modern 22.....there just isn't any comparison. 

A 10/22 with birch stock, cast receiver, and plastic trigger guard will run you about $250 now.  Compare that to a Winchester with polished blue steel EVERYWHERE, and a walnut stock.

Don't get me wrong.  I have 10/22's for the kids, and I even have a cheaper Mossberg 22 that I got for a sheer beater, but old guns made back in the 50's and 60's just stand out when you compare them to stuff made today.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 01RUBY500 said:

After I got out of college back in the 70’s I bought a Weatherby Mark XXII semi auto.22, it was a beautiful little gun. I sold it after about 10 years maybe longer, they were out of production by then, because it jammed too much for my liking, maybe why they stopped making them. Used the money to by a Ruger 10/22 that I still have and have tricked out. Wish I still had the Weatherby it might be worth something today and maybe it was fixable by a good gunsmith. 
Anyway here is the tack-driver Ruger. 

2430CC5A-ECFC-4DAB-9C27-BABF83712E9C.jpeg

10/22's are cheap, reliable, and have more aftermarket support than just about anything out there.  I was lucky and found some on clearance last year at Walmart for $124.  Got one for each of the kids.  I picked up a takedown for myself, which is perfect for ATV riding.  Broken down in the bag it straps to the front rack with no overhang.

Better get you some BX25's while you can.  Scum in DC are going to try to ban "high capacity" magazines again, and this time there won't be a sunset clause.

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, Freedomflyer said:

20210407_175220.jpg

20210407_175245.jpg

That's a nice looking 67A.  Looks like it has been well cared for.

Looks like Xiden is fixing to use the 2nd Amendment as toilet paper.  I suggest getting anything you want now.  Dark times ahead for gun owners in this country, and our country as a whole.

• Like 1