Akunin

Firearms

36 minutes ago, TBRider said:

Those people are long time dead and they had muskets

True those people are gone , but they are the ones that paved the trails for the future generations to travel and weapons have changed --- I know  wouldn't want to be shooting musket balls at criminals with ARs  -----  seems the Foundering Fathers  had insight of  what could happen and it sure seems like is about to happen  , the de-arming of citizens and the letting loose of criminals from prisons , giving criminals more rights than citizens  and spreading illegals across the country untested for corona , which is going to bring about another stiffer lock down  , Steve Wonder could see that coming ---

• Like 3

tad morbid Prov ....but I understand your point.

I've always said, from a "prepper standpoint"  that I'm not a survivalist.. I have no desire to live in a Mad Maxx time..fun to watch on a movie, but not a lifestyle for me. (LOL)

that said, prepping is something that I guess I've done long before it was a thing.

living up on the hill in Ohio, power was shakey, snow wasn't cleared from our roads etc...having heat and other needs for a few days meant the difference between being miserable or cozy.

not to get offtrack from the firearms thread too much, just saying that along with food, and Lord!! toilet paper, things like that I didn't have to panic over when all this hit last year this time...we ate normal , we wiped normal. 

Firearms , mags, ammo have been stocked with the same mindset as I stocked canned veggies.

I'll admit that I could get caught up in the frenzie right now..watching so many folks in the midst of the panic, waiting in line at dawn  in hopes to get their 2 box limit "if" there is any, etc.

the "prepper" in me, went ahead long before this and grabbed those extra mags, those higher capacity items, and the rounds to make it through this dry spell, or, to hold my own if it comes to that point.

Back on topic - (sorry)...both of my 10/22 rifles run the BX15 and 25 mags perfectly and I particularly enjoy the 15s and would recommend them to anyone who wants just a tad more capacity before the round  count ban comes around again.

and for those that don't own and haven't had the pleasure of plinking with a little 10/22...you owe it to yourself ...they are still a budget value product.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

The way I see him , he is a  con artist , a crook and a puppet who is controlled by the ones he is in debt to  , he is not all there in his mind and body ,  clearly unfit to be President

Well, he's a politician.....pretty much describes all of them.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TBRider said:

So explain to me why does someone need a 100 round clip for a gun, I hunt up here in Canada, but I usually only take one shot to take down an animal, I have a 10 shot clip and barely empty them unless I'm after a pack of 4 or 5 coyotes,  but newsmax says that you folks need them in America to shoot down drones....? I just can't understand,  what good is a 100 round clip for other than killing lots of people in group settings or in a war...

The 2nd Amendment was written right after the colonies had waged war on the British Crown.  Armed men cannot be ruled. 

It isn't about hunting, and never has been.  It isn't even about defending ones home from criminals.  It's about having the means to fight against tyranny.  That is why the 2nd Amendment was written.  The Bill of Rights are not rights granted by government.  They limit government, not grant rights to citizens.

If you look at the millions upon millions of people who have been killed by nazis and communists in the last century, they had one thing in common; they were unarmed. 

If you get a chance TB, read Unintended Consequences by John Ross.  Might give you a different perspective in why a lot of people won't ever be disarmed in this country. 

I know you weren't a Trump fan, and when he was elected you had a lot of minorities, gays, etc who were scared that he would use government to oppress them.  The 2nd Amendment applies to ALL men, black, white, yellow, brown, straight, gay, rich poor.  Most of us here are terrified at the government overreach that we're already seeing with Biden.  A lot of people on the other side of the political spectrum felt the same way about Trump.  IF any of those fears ever come to fruition, people being armed is a deterrence to outright tyranny.

I gave some 5.56 to a coworker the other day.  He's a young black guy, voted for Biden, has always voted Democrat, but bought an AR15 to protect his home and his children.  The police in the town where I work are more or less useless, and honestly I can't blame them.  They make $10/hour, and are expected to deal with these gangs and drug dealers who have no qualms about hosing people down with illegal full autos.  That means people have to have the means to defend themselves, and when given the choice, no sane person wants to be outgunned by the opposition.  Easter Sunday there were a half dozen shootings in Helena AR where I work.  I watched one of them recorded on a security camera at a local shop.  Three guys on crotch rockets stop at a stop light, a newer black camero rolls by, sprays about 40-50 rounds of of the window.  All three bikes go down, then two more cars roll by also firing out of the windows at the bikes.  One crotch rocket rider jumps up and speeds off, and then after the cars are gone, the other two riders hop up and run off.  Probably 100 rounds fired, and everyone rides/ runs away. 

The idea that laws upon laws upon laws will stop criminals, who by definition, break laws, is just naive.  Gun control isn't about making people safe.  It's about control.  Always has been, always will be.  There were 7 million first time gun owners in the US last year.  People are realizing it is up to each individual to protect themselves.  .gov isn't getting it done.  I'll bet a whole lot of those new AR15 owners were people worried that Trump was going to use government to oppress them.  That is their right, and I applaud them for taking responsibility for themselves.

You hope they're never needed, but if they are, and you don't have them.........it's Warsaw circa 1940 all over again.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

Big' , I got one of them 10R22s , fun gun to blast away rounds out of , I use it for rabbit hunting LOL , limit is 8 per day but you never know when you going to come across a herd !!!! 

I picked up another wooden stock at a flea market for $10 , was think of refinishing it in black epoxy , it is on the bucket list , LOL 

fullsizeoutput_cfe.jpeg

Don't do that.  I have a black plastic stock you can have.  I much prefer wood.  I took the black plastic stocks off of my kids' 10/22s and replaced them with wood stocks.

• Like 1

I saw trump as a grifter and sex predator 10 years ago, him and Matt G from Florida... another fine republican

I guess when you get right down to it, do you trust the politicians in office now?  What about the politicians elected in 2022, and 2024?  You don't know who they are, right? 

So you don't know what kind of crap they're going to try to pull.  You could get a far right neo nazi skinhead who wants to lock up all black people.  You could get a far left commie who wants to recreate Stalin's USSR. 

Unless you 100% trust every politician in office now, and in the future, for the rest of your life, it is in your best interest to keep a means to deter them from treading on you.  An armed populace is that deterrent, regardless of which side of the aisle is in charge.

• Like 4

Those people are long time dead and they had muskets

They had the same arms as the people against whom they were fighting.  The founding fathers also had privately owned cannons, and privately owned warships. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bighanded said:

tad morbid Prov ....but I understand your point.

I've always said, from a "prepper standpoint"  that I'm not a survivalist.. I have no desire to live in a Mad Maxx time..fun to watch on a movie, but not a lifestyle for me. (LOL)

that said, prepping is something that I guess I've done long before it was a thing.

living up on the hill in Ohio, power was shakey, snow wasn't cleared from our roads etc...having heat and other needs for a few days meant the difference between being miserable or cozy.

not to get offtrack from the firearms thread too much, just saying that along with food, and Lord!! toilet paper, things like that I didn't have to panic over when all this hit last year this time...we ate normal , we wiped normal. 

Firearms , mags, ammo have been stocked with the same mindset as I stocked canned veggies.

I'll admit that I could get caught up in the frenzie right now..watching so many folks in the midst of the panic, waiting in line at dawn  in hopes to get their 2 box limit "if" there is any, etc.

the "prepper" in me, went ahead long before this and grabbed those extra mags, those higher capacity items, and the rounds to make it through this dry spell, or, to hold my own if it comes to that point.

Back on topic - (sorry)...both of my 10/22 rifles run the BX15 and 25 mags perfectly and I particularly enjoy the 15s and would recommend them to anyone who wants just a tad more capacity before the round  count ban comes around again.

and for those that don't own and haven't had the pleasure of plinking with a little 10/22...you owe it to yourself ...they are still a budget value product.

Being an old Boy Scout I have always been prepared like you. Generator, fuel, water, food ammo etc. Several times it came in handy due to storms. I have no desire to live in a Mad Max world when even your best neighbor comes unhinged.

TB, nobody NEEDS anything other than food, water and shelter. Why don't they take away cars to stop drunk driving? How about motorcycles that kill and maim thousands a year and on and on. In the 61 years I have been alive your rights as a Canadian have been seriously eroded. And that's too bad as I always considered you guys friends and neighbors. I use my high capacity mags at the range or prairie dog shooting.

This morning I scored on 400rds of 9mm and 200rds of 45 at regular prices. 😁

• Like 3

3 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

The 2nd Amendment was written right after the colonies had waged war on the British Crown.  Armed men cannot be ruled. 

It isn't about hunting, and never has been.  It isn't even about defending ones home from criminals.  It's about having the means to fight against tyranny.  That is why the 2nd Amendment was written.  The Bill of Rights are not rights granted by government.  They limit government, not grant rights to citizens.

If you look at the millions upon millions of people who have been killed by nazis and communists in the last century, they had one thing in common; they were unarmed. 

If you get a chance TB, read Unintended Consequences by John Ross.  Might give you a different perspective in why a lot of people won't ever be disarmed in this country. 

I know you weren't a Trump fan, and when he was elected you had a lot of minorities, gays, etc who were scared that he would use government to oppress them.  The 2nd Amendment applies to ALL men, black, white, yellow, brown, straight, gay, rich poor.  Most of us here are terrified at the government overreach that we're already seeing with Biden.  A lot of people on the other side of the political spectrum felt the same way about Trump.  IF any of those fears ever come to fruition, people being armed is a deterrence to outright tyranny.

I gave some 5.56 to a coworker the other day.  He's a young black guy, voted for Biden, has always voted Democrat, but bought an AR15 to protect his home and his children.  The police in the town where I work are more or less useless, and honestly I can't blame them.  They make $10/hour, and are expected to deal with these gangs and drug dealers who have no qualms about hosing people down with illegal full autos.  That means people have to have the means to defend themselves, and when given the choice, no sane person wants to be outgunned by the opposition.  Easter Sunday there were a half dozen shootings in Helena AR where I work.  I watched one of them recorded on a security camera at a local shop.  Three guys on crotch rockets stop at a stop light, a newer black camero rolls by, sprays about 40-50 rounds of of the window.  All three bikes go down, then two more cars roll by also firing out of the windows at the bikes.  One crotch rocket rider jumps up and speeds off, and then after the cars are gone, the other two riders hop up and run off.  Probably 100 rounds fired, and everyone rides/ runs away. 

The idea that laws upon laws upon laws will stop criminals, who by definition, break laws, is just naive.  Gun control isn't about making people safe.  It's about control.  Always has been, always will be.  There were 7 million first time gun owners in the US last year.  People are realizing it is up to each individual to protect themselves.  .gov isn't getting it done.  I'll bet a whole lot of those new AR15 owners were people worried that Trump was going to use government to oppress them.  That is their right, and I applaud them for taking responsibility for themselves.

You hope they're never needed, but if they are, and you don't have them.........it's Warsaw circa 1940 all over again.

Amen!!!!

• Like 2

On 4/8/2021 at 2:09 PM, Bighanded said:

purty!  curious as to how far out that bull barrel can go before the round itself becomes innarcurate?  my standard 10/22s tend to really open up beyond about 65 yards..and with ammo these days, I'm tempted to upgrade the barrel on one of mine to get at least some 100yd enjoyment, which is the minimum I start at with 556 and of course much further when shooting larger cal. But these days, I tend to stick to 22 for backyard fun...so, how tight is it beyond 50yds?

Never really experimented with it beyond 50yds. 

thanks Ruby

I'm still tempted. I've got 150yds on my property and I have access to 400yds when we are pushing larger calibers.

but the 22lr out of a short 10/22 ruger just seems open up too much beyond 65yds. 

I've got the torque driver etc and have worked with various ammo and adjustments to try and get the two rifles I have as tight as possible but in the end, you can spend the day chasing scope dials..it's not like 556 or 762... I can shoot once, dial it in a couple clicks and see the results move on the paper...eventually getting on center with good MOA. But the 22 beyond that 50yds just can get frustrating..so I can't help but be curious if I built out a heavy barrel rig just cause I'm bored right now with having to conserve ammo...and 22 is the one thing i've got plenty of that I don't mind burning through a bit.

Hmmmm..... just think, we too could experience this by not wearing our masks and not putting up a fight or having the right to put up a fight. 

Edited by Freedomflyer
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Own a musket for home defense, since that's what the founding fathers intended. Four ruffians break into my house. "What the devil?" As I grab my powdered wig and Kentucky rifle. Blow a golf ball sized hole through the first man, he's dead on the spot. Draw my pistol on the second man, miss him entirely because it's smoothbore and nails the neighbors dog. I have to resort to the cannon mounted at the top of the stairs loaded with grape shot, "Tally ho lads" the grape shot shreds two men in the blast, the sound and extra shrapnel set off car alarms. Fix bayonet and charge the last terrified rapscallion. He Bleeds out waiting on the police to arrive since triangular bayonet wounds are impossible to stitch up, Just as the founding fathers intended.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

13 hours ago, Bighanded said:

thanks Ruby

I'm still tempted. I've got 150yds on my property and I have access to 400yds when we are pushing larger calibers.

but the 22lr out of a short 10/22 ruger just seems open up too much beyond 65yds. 

I've got the torque driver etc and have worked with various ammo and adjustments to try and get the two rifles I have as tight as possible but in the end, you can spend the day chasing scope dials..it's not like 556 or 762... I can shoot once, dial it in a couple clicks and see the results move on the paper...eventually getting on center with good MOA. But the 22 beyond that 50yds just can get frustrating..so I can't help but be curious if I built out a heavy barrel rig just cause I'm bored right now with having to conserve ammo...and 22 is the one thing i've got plenty of that I don't mind burning through a bit.

It could be the barrel, or the ammo. Try some CCI standard velocity first. If you really want to go big time get some Eley Tenex.

If you still aren’t getting consistent groups, closely check the crown of your barrel. 

rimfirecentral.com is the ATVHonda of rimfire shooting

• Like 2

On 4/9/2021 at 9:11 PM, Fishfiles said:

Big' , did you try some sub-sonic rounds ??? 

yep...the rifles cycle them just fine and I can even shoot without cans on my head if I want to. As for accuracy at distance..not a noticeable difference..bottom line, short rifles, small rounds, it's what it is...which is  a ton of fun inside 50yards.

Patterned my Mossberg today at 50 yards—Longbeard XR Turkey choke using Longbeard XR 12 gauge 3 inch 5 shot. The 3.5 inch pattern is tighter.

045F5679-C3A1-46C7-B5C0-0BE816F64E70.jpeg

Edited by Goober
  • Like 2

I gave an informal "class" for my god-daughter Saturday....went over all the laws and topics that the CWP instructor will cover, provided her the state.gov and other links...talked through scenarios in and outside home personal defense, etc.

then we did some range time out back. She has a new Springfield 9mm that will be her carry gun and she needed time on it..manual of arms, getting on target, etc...I walked her through shooting the qual for CWP in our state and then also had her do some multi-target simple drills against 4 different targets/positions. And I loaded a surprise snap cap in various places in her mags so she'd have to experience and resolve a FTF situation.

she did well, was pushing in anticipation of recoil, but when I got her to pay attention to that, her hits came right up where they should be..proud of her and glad one more of "my kids" will be better prepared in these ugly days.

cost me a couple hundred rounds of precious Blazer brass...but no question it was worth it to me....those boxes were originally purchased at $10.99 I believe,  mighta been less than that, but not more.

replacement cost would be stupid...so I'm not going to bother to even consider restocking that little bit we spent.

but yeah, checking the news this morning...the mainstream is finding every shooting/stabbing, etc it can dig up...the narrative continues to build towards new ban laws..and so the market will stay in panic.

I can only do what I can do... I anticipated times like these, stocked up for it, am able to do things like yesterday's training for a loved one...and now will just try and ride it out.

• Like 4

I picked up something for Dad this week.  He's always wanted a Winchester 63, but never bought himself one.  They have always been on the pricey side, but when you look at the design, it was obviously pricey to make. 

He said around 1955 (he would have been 16-17) they were giving one away at the midsouth fair in Memphis, to whomever could accurately guess the number of 22 shells in a jar.  He said he looked at that jar for hours, trying to figure out what to guess.

Anyhow, they stopped making them in 1958, and only the last two years had grooved receivers (for scope mounting).  I found one a few weeks ago made in '57, in really, really good shape for a 65 year old gun.  Came with a period correct Weaver 4X scope and mount. 

Wasn't cheap, but with the printing press running full speed at the fed, I figured what better use for my "stimulus" money? 

Dad was floored.  He said "Well I'll be damned" several times when he opened the case.  He later looked in one of his old catalogs and said when the gun was made, it retailed for $70.  The scope retailed for $9, and the mount for $2.

But "inflation is under control" according to .gov

Wasn't perfect, but was in excellent shape, which is ideal.  That way you aren't scared to use it and ding up a mint condition collectors piece.

https://www.shootingtimes.com/editorial/longgun_reviews_st_winchester63_200810/99527

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 56Sierra said:

Just when ammo prices were starting to fall.  Here we go again.   It's going to be a long summer.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/12/us/brooklyn-center-minnesota-police-shooting/index.html

You know, on the one hand, I'm real tired of a protest every time the police shoot someone.....with no details given until much later, when 1/2 of a city has been burned and looted.

On the other hand, when you watch videos like this, it's understandable.

https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-army/2021/04/10/army-lieutenant-sues-police-for-pepper-spraying-threatening-him-during-stop/

There are good cops, and bad cops out there.  There are decent people who are victims of police brutality, and there are scumbags who reap what they sow.

The problem now is, we as a society rush to conclusions based on the mainstream media without knowing any actual facts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1