Akunin

Firearms

media always stirs things up...they want viewers hanging on every word, anxious to sit through the next commercial break. The media likes the "school yard fight" spectical thing...and they are complicit in much of the violence. Politicians are right in there with sending signals that it's ok to behave badly.but in the end, yeah, it's actually sad that the characters that these rioters choose as their poster-child to justify the violence, are not exactly the best role-models.

The idea that guys like Floyde should be where we spend lives, destroy business, terrorize the streets, etc...

I am fairly involved with my local LEO. Trained under some of their best, weekly meals with others, etc. I can tell you, we have some good folks and we have some that need to choose a different career.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I made it by for the Tuesday morning's shipping  ammo  sale , they have been getting a lot of ammo as of lately ,  this week I got a 200 box of 9mm  for $64 with tax , one bulk box per customer , thats  $.32 a shell , they had some 12 gauge buckshot this week , but only in 2 3/4 00 buck for $7.49 a box of 5 , the limit is 10 boxes  on boxes of shotgun shells , I am sorry I didn't get 10 boxes of them , I prefer the 3 inch 000 , but they would have worked ---- took a walk to the gun counter and they had 0 long guns , not one of any kind , and only 3 pistols in the whole store , 2 were western style revolvers and how ironic cause that seems  where we are heading , the wild wild west -----the former sheriff of Jefferson Parish has his own talk radio program ,  he said he was ashamed to say it but  ,   if you call 911 for a home invasion  ,  that by the time the sheriffs get there the incident is over , so you need to handle it yourself , I like him , he tells it like it is and not try to feed you a sugar coated turd 

• Like 3

16 buckza boxa 50 9's is reasonable. My last buys were $7.49 for Tula steel case at Rural King late June '20.  They don't raise their prices but limit sales.

Now that rumors are a floatin' about the Dems packing the Supreme Court, this shortage is going to last a lot longer.😬

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 56Sierra said:

16 buckza boxa 50 9's is reasonable. My last buys were $7.49 for Tula steel case at Rural King late June '20.  They don't raise their prices but limit sales.

Now that rumors are a floatin' about the Dems packing the Supreme Court, this shortage is going to last a lot longer.😬

I thought trump packed it before he left kicking and screaming like a child who dropped his ice cream.....

2 hours ago, TBRider said:

I thought trump packed it before he left kicking and screaming like a child who dropped his ice cream.....

Nope, he appointed a SC justice during his term who was approved by a vote of 52-48, exactly as the Constitution allows.  Had the democrats been in control of the senate, they could have blocked it, but they weren't.

Adding supreme court justices to change the balance of power is a power grab, pure and simple.  I would be against it regardless of who initiates it. 

I'm no fan of the GOP.  Corporatists are no better than statists.

TBrider, do you trust politicians to always do what is your best interests?  Honest question. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, TBRider said:

I trust anybody as far as I can throw them....tbh

Me too!  That's why I don't want people running .gov who would further impose "rule" on me, under the guise of it being in my best interest. 

Don't get me wrong.  I don't want anarchy or anything, but .gov has gotten way out of hand, and the worst thing about it is the people running it are the lowest common denominator of humanity.

So anytime someone comes to power who wants to further decrease individual liberty, I don't like it. 

Neither side of the uniparty is a good choice, but I tend to view corporatists as less intrusive than statists.....but they're both the enemy.  One is just a more immediate danger.

• Like 1

Hey fellahs, how long can I store ammo before it goes bad? Last summer I sorted out 2.5k rounds that were more than 10 years old and gifted them to a neighbor for a graduation gift. Should I have kept them?

7 minutes ago, retro said:

Hey fellahs, how long can I store ammo before it goes bad? Last summer I sorted out 2.5k rounds that were more than 10 years old and gifted them to a neighbor for a graduation gift. Should I have kept them?

Depends on how you're storing it. 

Relatively cool dry place without a bunch of wide temperature swings, 100 years it will probably all still go bang.

I was shooting 22LR from the 60's when I was a teen in the 90's.  Never had any problems with any of it.

I shot tons of surplus ammo in the late 90's/ early 2000's that was from South Africa, Guatemala, Australia, Malaysia, India, Portugal (point being I doubt if it was stored under less-than-ideal circumstances) and it all shot without issue.  The Guat was oftentimes heavily tarnished from a chemical reaction to the packing material, but it all went bang, all of the time.  Most of that was from the 70's and early 80's so was 30+ years old at the time.

Heck the Indian stuff came packed in ammo cans that looked like they'd been buried in the desert for a few decades.  Had a 1974 headstamp. 

Back then ammo was dirt cheap.  We'd spent every weekend blasting away.  Then ammo got pricey, I went back to school, and ended up selling a lot of stuff because I couldn't afford ammo anymore.

Wow, thanks Jeep! So it looks like the kid got lucky.

• Like 2

kid definitely got lucky !!

98% of my inventory lives in the green cans with good seal gaskets..most of it is boxed as it came from the store..ie 50rds, etc.

some is still in the bulk platic bag 1k rds loose, but even that goes into a can.

oldest ammo I have on hand would go back to about 1996 and I wouldn't be afraid to pull the trigger on any of it.

my inventory lives in the house with me, so no dramatic fluctuation in temps/humidity.

• Like 2

Funny story on old ammo. 30 years ago I was with my dad, & uncle who had ammo that was really old at that time. He was shooting it out of his Remington Nylon 66. My father & I never laughed so hard in all our lives! He went to shoot at a rabbit across from us.. we could literally see the bullets exit the barrel & drop about 15’ away!! U could have caught them with ur hand lol!! Other than that I’ve shot 10year+ ammo without issues. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Honestly I've had better luck shooting old ammo that I've gotten from Dad than I have some new production stuff.

Was out shooting mistletoe with the kids at Christmas, and the federal bulk pack 22 from Walmart was "bang BANG BANG pop, BANG bang bang pop"

No two shots sounded the same.

The old Remington 22's that Dad gave me as a kid?  He's still shooting it, and it is consistent, reliable, and accurate.

remington.jpg

• Like 4

I got 200 rounds of this 30-06 from my father-inlaw when he gave this old Winchester model 70 to my wife. Not even sure how old this gun is, anyone have any idea?

20210417_104810.jpg

20210417_114710.jpg

20210417_114718.jpg

20210417_114724.jpg

• Like 1

Easiest way to tell a pre-1964 model 70 is the serial number.  less than 700,000.  Another way is the extractor claw.  If it doesn't rotate as in Mauser 98 type it's a controlled feed and not push feed.  When stripping a round from the magazine the rim will slip up behind the extractor claw before it chambers.   With the controlled feed you can chamber a round with the rifle held upside down.

Beautiful rifle you have there.  The stock reminds me of a Fajen but it could be most anything.   Even original from Winchester. 

The two tapped holes on the left of the receiver make me think it once had peep sights on it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Freedomflyer said:

I got 200 rounds of this 30-06 from my father-inlaw when he gave this old Winchester model 70 to my wife. Not even sure how old this gun is, anyone have any idea?

20210417_104810.jpg

20210417_114710.jpg

20210417_114718.jpg

20210417_114724.jpg

I sent a pic to my buddy of your Winchester 70 , he was all over it , he wants to buy it , he shoots the Model 721 Remington 30-06 which is the sniper rifle of WWII , that he hunts with , want to sell it ??? 

I don't thinks so, it was a gift to my wife from her dad. I  can ask her but am guessing not. He had a boatload of guns he got rid of before we knew he was getting rid of them. Was pretty disappointing to find out, glad I was able to get that Browning .325 before it was gone too, almost lost that in the auction.  He was saving this 30-06 for my wife thank goodness.

I also have this little .22 nine shot revolver, have never seen one of these before either, does anyone know anything about it?20210417_125642.jpg

20210417_125547.jpg

20210417_125616.jpg

Here's my answer to them;; take away the guns to those that provide security for them. they will be singing a different tune after that....

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I sent a pic to my buddy of your Winchester 70 , he was all over it , he wants to buy it , he shoots the Model 721 Remington 30-06 which is the sniper rifle of WWII , that he hunts with , want to sell it ??? 

Model 721 wasn't made until 1948 so it didn't see WW2. 

The Pre 64 Model 70 is the "rifleman's rifle".  IMO the finest bolt gun made.  The late 50's were the pinnacle of workmanship (for factory production/ non custom guns anyway) and there is no finer production bolt action than the Model 70's made prior to the early 60's. 

The major design change happened in 64, but even in the early 60's models prior to 64, quality control as a whole slipped a bit.

Would love to see more pics of that model 70.  Stock is obviously custom, and the fact that it doesn't have sights would make it uncommon if it is a Pre 64 (special order or Target gun).