Akunin

Firearms

My latest foray is a Form 1 suppressor. 

Long story short, friend of mine had a rimfire suppressor for his 10/22 and Ruger 22/45.  Wife shot it and liked it.  I, of course, liked it too.

Ordered one like it last fall.  Wait time on a Form 4 (commercially manufactured) suppressor now is 9-12 months, so it's still in "NFA jail".  Hopefully will get it sometime this summer. 

In the meantime, I discovered you can make your own suppressor using a Form 1.  Doesn't really save you much money, but the wait time for ATF approval is a hair over a month, and you can legally build yourself a can.

So I filed for a Form 1 suppressor.  The ATF has a really crappy website, but you can do the application online.  Still requires the $200 tax stamp, you fill out the application online, get fingerprinted, and put in the info on the suppressor you intend to make.   When you key in all the info, you get a cover page emailed to you, and you put that cover page in the regular mail to the ATF, along with two sets of fingerprint cards.  Assuming you pass the FBI background check, in about a month you get your approved Form 1 and tax stamp emailed to you, and you can build a can.

Most of you  have probably seen "oil filters" and "solvent traps" for sale online, that are....pretty much an unfinished suppressor.  You ask how they can sell them?  They are unfinished.  Were a person to convert one into a suppressor (drill the center) then one instantly becomes a felon.......so, if you want to do it, pay the fee (which is utter BS, an infringement, etc, etc, etc) and do it the legal way.  $200 isn't much money these days.  In 1934 a $200 fee was basically a "poll tax" intended to make suppressors, machine guns, and other NFA items unaffordable to all but the wealthiest Americans (about $4K in today's money, and that's using BS government doctored inflation calculators, which drastically understate inflation).  I figure it's only a matter of time before the congress critters figure that out and jack that rate to the moon.....

Anyhow, got my Form 1 approved, ordered a stainless steel tube that was threaded, with stainless end caps, and solid stainless "cups"  that were not drilled.  Found another guy who makes a jig to assist in drilling holes perfectly centered and picked that up. 

Got the holes drilled (9/32 drill bit in my drill press), and then "clipped" the cones with my dremel which supposedly helps with sound suppression.  Last step was to send the tube off to have the info from the Form 1 engraved on it (maker, city, state, caliber, serial number)

Took it out and fired a few rounds and it's NICE.  It is not "Movie quiet" (none of them are, that's myth) but it does take the sound of a 22 down to that of a loud pellet gun.  One does have to use target/std vel ammo that will not break the speed of sound, or there is a sonic boom/ crack, but with CCI Std Vel it's very pleasant to shoot without ear protection.

The biggest benefit of this is getting the wife and daughters to shoot.  While men, in my experience, tend to go full on ape at loud "boom"s, women tend to shy away from loud reports, and most don't like wearing uncomfortable ear muffs or plugs.  My eldest daughter especially just didn't like shooting because of the noise.  With a suppressor, they all like it and think it's extremely fun.

Total cost still wasn't cheap, but for an all stainless can that I had in hand within about 6 weeks, start to finish, I'm happy with it. 

$200 tax stamp

$175 for parts

$40 drilling jig

$30 to get engraved

Of course, were one to do more than one, the drilling jig could be reused over and over again.  Kinda sad that the $200 "exercise your right" tax is the most expensive part of the equation......

Anyhow, if anyone wants to try this, just make sure and do your research.  The NFA laws, like most nowadays, are complicated and full of "gotcha!"s that could get you into trouble quickly.  That said, if you do your homework, it opens up a whole nother side to enjoyable shooting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

did you happen to see the video on you-tube of the diesel truck mechanic that got visited from the ATF and local sheriff cause he was purchasing large quantities of the diesel fuel filter that they use , he was also into guns and says he happened to look at a video on how to make one , so he filmed them while they were going thru his shop  

Just now, Fishfiles said:

did you happen to see the video on you-tube of the diesel truck mechanic that got visited from the ATF and local sheriff cause he was purchasing large quantities of the diesel fuel filter that they use , he was also into guns and says he happened to look at a video on how to make one , so he filmed them while they were going thru his shop  

Yep, if you order parts, and don't have a Form 1 application, good chance you'll get a visit.....

Worth doing, but not worth risking a felony by not doing it the legal way.

I got a chest rig (pouch) for my SAR activities.  It's a Hill People Gear SAR Kit Bag V3.  In addition to putting the things I need in easier reach, it allows for a more concealed carry on the times I care about that.  The large pouch on the front is either for my radio or for my GPS, haven't figured out which I'd rather keep there.

1.jpg

2.jpg

• Like 3

Does anyone have any idea what a 1931 Mosin-Nagant Russian rifle might be worth or if that is something that anyone would even want? I've done a little research and it's not like they are really rare. There were like 37 million of them made, chambered in 7.62x54mmR cartridge. Asking for a friend.

These used to be a dollar a dozen so to speak but the value in recent years has gone crazy.  Why, I don't know.  I know a guy that loves them buying then customizing them like people do with the 1022.

Might have to do with the lack of Mausers or Springfields out there.

1 hour ago, Freedomflyer said:

Does anyone have any idea what a 1931 Mosin-Nagant Russian rifle might be worth or if that is something that anyone would even want? I've done a little research and it's not like they are really rare. There were like 37 million of them made, chambered in 7.62x54mmR cartridge. Asking for a friend.

My son is pretty much an expert on those if you could provide a picture and estimate condition.

• Like 2

I will see what I can doI will see what I can do, He is a nervous Nellie And all concerned about sending pictures. If I can get some all just PM you.

Thank you

1 hour ago, Freedomflyer said:

I'll start by saying, I don't know much at all about Mosins.

That said, depending on the condition, originality, and probably a dozen other specifics, it might be worth quite a bit, or not a lot.

They do seem to have jumped in in price lately, from what I've seen for sale. 

For comparison, the M1 Carbines used to be dirt cheap, and they made about 6 million of them, and now you're doing well to find one for under $1K, and if you have an all original/ non rebuild, they get really pricey.

My suggestion would be to go to AR15.com or perhaps look for a Mosin specific board.  There are collectors for everything out there, and on the boards you can get an idea before you have some slimebag say "It's only worth $50" and then later you see it for sale for 10X's. that.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2021 at 9:57 AM, Fishfiles said:

I believe that's Boss Hogg (Sorrell Booke) on TV talking about gun control.

12 minutes ago, RubiDan said:

I believe that's Boss Hogg (Sorrell Booke) on TV talking about gun control.

That Carrol O'Conner as Archie Bunker from the 70s , show was called All in the Family 

9 hours ago, Freedomflyer said:

Son says without looking at it model 91/30 is going for around $400. That is the most common one. If it's a Finnish made model it's worth quite a bit more.

4 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

That Carrol O'Conner as Archie Bunker from the 70s , show was called All in the Family 

I guess I should have been more clear.  The man on the tv program doing the editorial (the one Archie was watching) at the beginning of that clip was the one that I thought was Sorrell Booke.  

Edited by RubiDan
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Freedomflyer said:

It has a U.S.S.R. stamp on it I think. I'll need to get another look at it.

IIRC the one I had was stamped Bofors steel.  I paid 90 bucks 30 years ago with a bunch of corrosive armor piercing ammo.  Used it successfully to knock down the poured concrete walls of a long gone chicken coup.😳  Sold it a few years later with no ammo at a profit. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

I made a score , was talking with a guy I go work for , he also has a MP22-15 , was talking about ammo and he told me he would sell me a box of 22s that are made for the MP22-15 ,  300 for $25 , so I meet up with him and got a box , fired off 30 yesterday evening ---- would guess finding some more is going to be a needle in a hay stack 

fullsizeoutput_e96.jpeg

That's some pretty decent ammo for a fair price.  It shoots good in every rifle I own.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 56Sierra said:

That's some pretty decent ammo for a fair price.  It shoots good in every rifle I own.

He told me he sold it to me for what he paid , and that was  before the ammo price increases and shortages , that's a buddy there -----  wish I had about 10 boxes 

That was pretty normal ma and pa gun shop prices.  For a while there I'd see them on sale for under 20 bucks. My Keystone 722 Varmint will almost always do 1/2" @ 50 yds with them.  Sometimes 1/4 -3/8".  My Remington 597HB does almost as good.

• Like 1

ammo still non-existent around here. I've not really been looking, but getting reports from friends and family.

I did stop at the larger local gun shop yesterday at lunch as I needed to update my hunting permit...getting ready to deal with some pesky coyotes.

anyway..they were looking good on their inventory of actual firearms..long guns and pistols..plenty to choose from and prices were only mildly inflated..more on the more desireable, but not what I'd call panic/gouging.

ammo however is still completely out..my bud there tells me that there isn't a particular day and they do get it direct from mfg so it just comes in as it comes.

I'm sitting on plenty so I'm not looking to spend money in that direction, but it's always interesting to see where things are during this mess.

the wife breaks out in a sweat, squeezes my hand and tugs me towards the exit when I tend to pause at the gun cases.

I still have a mild hankerin for maybe another larger capacity handgun...like a second Sig M17. I own one, but it has been transferred into the Flux Defense brace platform, which is fantastic, but the idea of a mag compatible sidearm..the Sig M18, not getting quite as good a review as the longer barrel 17..anyway...nothing needed, but I'll look forward to the days that I hope will return, when I can get back to enjoying the hobby more.

for now, hybernation is the rule.

Only real exception was helping my god-daughter prepare for her CWP..we dumped 150rds of Blazer brass 9mm down range couple weekends back and that's been all the shooting we've done here.  Those were $8.99 - $10.99 per box when I actually bought them. Replacement cost would be about $35/box now I guess?

Thankfully there's plenty more in my closet, cause I'm not in the mood to toss those level of $ at some gunbroker opportunist seller.

• Like 1

The CCI website seems to have some 22 available early in the AM fairly often.  Sells out quick, and isn't cheap once you figure in shipping and tax, but it is available fairly often.

• Like 1

good to know.

22lr is about the only range fun we've been having here. I'm sitting on about 5k so i've not been shopping for that either.

my 9 and 45 supplies are considered at healthy levels, if it was about waiting out this latest panic...ie maybe another year of hybernating, but if the politics drives the market to the ground, then I regret not having twice my existing inventory...but suspect most folks would say that.

556 and 762 , even 12ga buck n slugs were also part of my heavy stock up for days such as these, so I'm grateful to the "me of the past" for having made sure that the green cans were packed full and deep.

Right now, the rare trip I make to any store that "used to" sell ammo, is more about curiosity when I walk down those isles.

• Like 1

That is a nice one.  Nice price too! LOL

Nice wood will make any gun look pretty.  A few years ago I picked up a Marlin 39A.  At the time Numrich (Gun Parts Corp) still had some "Century Limited" wood in stock, and I ordered new wood for it.  Was under $100 shipped for the set.  Ended up being really nicely figured wood.

I posted about it on a shooting board, and another guy got some REALLY nice wood for his.  I saved pics.

First pic is the wood I got.  Other pics are what he got.   Someone on that board offered him $500 (iifc) for his, and he declined.

wood.jpg

prettywood2.jpg

Prettywood.jpg

prettywood1.jpg

• Like 6