Akunin

Firearms

5 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

The CCI quiets won't cycle my 10/22 with the can on it.  I had to buy a Ruger American Rimfire so I had something to shoot the quiets out of.😁

Our local Vances Outdoors sold the Ruger American on sale for $199 in January 2020.  I just left the dentist without crying so my wife bought me one in 22LR.  I am impressed.  Here's 5 shots at around 52 yds with CCI SV.   Best thing it doesn't suffer the dredded first shot flier like other 22s I own.

20200123_142020.jpg

• Like 2

Bargain!

I got a threaded barrel with green composite stock and no sights.

Was quite a bit more than that but I bought a few months ago during full nationwide firearm panic

• Like 1

good price...good solid basic rifle...and good shooting!

I can't get quite that tight at 50 with the 10/22 takedown, but not unhappy with it at all.

but anything beyond 65yards and it just starts to really open up on the groups.  

I have a small swing disc target ( 8 inch I think) that I can pitch at the 100yd mark and make it swing on every hit, but the holes are all over the place..and that's with the nikon scope on it.

I can only blame myself so much cause I can keyhole 100yards well enough with 223, and 308 platforms that I own. So I'm calling part of this on the platform..and so I just keep the distance shorter on the 22 and enjoy it for what it is.

From what I've seen on the TD 10/22's, they aren't the most accurate platform, but that makes sense given the design.

The Ruger American I bought just because I wanted a threaded bolt gun, and it takes 10/22 mags which I already have.  I'm not a fan of the hideous stocks they put on them, but then again if they had a pretty walnut stock on them I'd be scared to beat around on the Foreman with mine. 

Like I said, $199 is a helluva deal vs what I had to fork over for mine.

https://grabagun.com/ruger-8334-amer-rf-tp-22lr-18-tap-odg.html

Yeah, the 1022 was designed for something entirely different than itty bitty groups.   But, they are tops at doing what they are designed for.  As far as precision dropping off at longer ranges this could be the ammo.  If the bullet leaves the muzzle at supersonic speeds they tend to be accurate up to the point they go transonic.  A bullet leaving the muzzle subsonic will usually give tighter groups at longer ranges as long as you don't mind shooting it aimed like a field artillery piece.

Here's something odd.  I get quicker kills on squirrels under 50 yards with a 22 pellet rifle than I do with a 22LR.  A 14.3 gr pellet at 830 FPS MV knocks then right out of the tree and DRT.  The powder burner seems sometimes to poke a hole through them and they run off and hide and die later.  Now, my 17 Hornet just leaves little pieces hanging from the branches.  

• Haha 1

I have regular 10/22's for the kids.  Cheap, reliable, and simple.  They can be very accurate with a little work (and quite a bit of cash lol).  The takedowns, not so much.  The takedown design just isn't great for accuracy.

Picked up a Winchester 63 for Dad a few months ago (early father's day gift).  The 10/22 is a simple tool.  The 63 is a work of art. 

I'd hate to see what a new 63 would cost if they still made them.  They were discontinued in 1958 as the production costs were so high on them even back then.

Taurus made a cheap copy of them at one point, but it wasn't even in the same hemisphere as the originals.

The old Winchester 22's  (and old Remingtons like the 5-teens, Model 12 and 121) were just fantastically designed and built rifles.  I'd much rather have those than anything produced today, but the 10/22 does have it's place.  Great starter guns for kids to shoot, and beater guns for when you don't want to risk messing up a nice rifle.

have one of those FAT torque drivers.. I think that's what it's called.  the barrel seat adjust is at different levels for my wife's fixed stock, stainless 10/22 and my takedown model. But both are equally accurate as they are individually adjusted.

with the takedown, having a scope mounted on it, sure...it runs the risk of changing every time you break the rifle apart and put it back together. But honestly I've seen more variety when shifting ammo than I do with taking the rifle down and back up.

very enjoyable plinker..just not a long ranger..and that's fine.

• Like 1

I was actually looking to make sure that my FAT wrench was a 1/4" drive.  Have to order a dang T6 torx (TINY) bit to get the factory Ruger rail off of my RAR so I can put some different bases on it.

Don't know why they would use an oddball tiny torx like that, but my FAT wrench didn't have one that small, so having to order a bit.

34 minutes ago, 56Sierra said:

I really like that setup.

What you think about this one  I don't know about this set up , spill something in the bed with the gate down and it could be bad news 

LKKWPVm4Qn+TfIW3e98hVQ.jpg

the rear fender behind the light idea...super cool...not sure if it'd be legal in some states, but very nice.

the tailgate?...with me loading ATVs, heavy loads, and even the golf cart into the bed, yeah, I'd be worried something would get crushed...but for a basic hunt truck, that is really nice.

friend sent me pic of the center isle of the local cop shop yesterday...had cases of PMC M855 5.56 available..but at $649 a case... I had to just laugh as I felt my stomach turn.

he asked me if I wanted some regardless of the price...told him I had just recently walked away from a 45 cent/rd case price..so I wasn't about to bite on 65cents/rd.

good to see they had supply again, but at that price, no wonder it was still on their floor.

I do have the one older Colt A2 platform that performs better with the 62gr stuff and I've got a can full of that.  But more likely, if I needed to grab an AR15 platform, it'd be the newer carbine and std 55gr ball is gonna do fine in that for varmits and zombies anyway.

just thought you'd guys be interested to hear that supply does seem to be returning...just sooooo pricey at the moment.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Bighanded said:

friend sent me pic of the center isle of the local cop shop yesterday...had cases of PMC M855 5.56 available..but at $649 a case... I had to just laugh as I felt my stomach turn.

Do you or anybody else know of an online source for reasonably priced 5.56 or 223?  

Oh there are at least a couple guns in each room of the house to choose from, if the need arises...9mms, 41s, 44s & 45s in the handgun department. 22s, 308s, 30-06s, 375, 44mag & 45/70 in the rifle dept. There is at least one pump and one semi-auto - 12gauge hanging around. I would feel sorry for anyone attempting to rob this place, after the dog chewed on them, they would be in line for one of the above...

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, RubiDan said:

Do you or anybody else know of an online source for reasonably priced 5.56 or 223?  

nope...good to see some supply returning...mostly NATO.

but 65-72 cents a round for basic range ball 5.56?...hard to swallow having range fun at that price, let alone having to stock up the reserve inventory..so I'm mostly hybernated on shooting sports.

I probably should take a second look at the private sale of 1,000 rds at 45 cents. I've offered him $400, but he feels like he is offering me a fair price at $450...and in the end, that's $400-$450 that I don't need to spend on more ammo today.  I'm sure the zombies will eat me before i exhaust my existing inventory. (grin)

Definitely recommend shopping your local shops...especially if you have a law enforcement shop.

example, month back, the local shop had 9mm brass listed at $27/box of 50.  but they quietly sold me a case of it at $16/box of 50..so yeah, there is that much markup out there...so when I see these online big  shops with their super "daily deals"  trying to get $30+ for a box of cheapo as if the world is still desperate, well, I'll remember that when the market turns around...and I'll be willing to spend just a tad more with my local instead of going to the online boys.

that was pretty much my policy over the years anyway.

I'd see a Palmetto State Armory add for x$, I'd swing by my local shop and they might be $4/box more, I'd ask then quietly for a little love and they might knock $2/box off the price...still more than Palemetto, but I was happy to support my locals.

and then when it came time for that next firearm or accessory, I'd be at their counter and they knew I was loyal to do that.

I used to have more calibers of this and that, but in the last 8 years or so I've been consolidating.  Sure, you need certain classes of things for certain applications, but I have found comfort that I don't have to stock large amounts in five different handgun calibers and can just do two.  My wife and I both use the same caliber for handgun and I use a different for a specialized pistol that I carry outdoors sometimes.  It's been much easier keeping my stock where I like this way.

I hear ya Nanook.

I grew up in a pretty basic lower-middle class home. Dad enjoyed hunting..deer, pheasant and rabbit.

he did all of that above with an old old Winchester model 12 in 16ga... slugs for the deer of course..used to call them punkin balls.

anyway, that and a Ruger Mark 1 pistol were all a good man felt he needed in life in this great country of ours back in the 50s...and if he planned to plink on a Saturday , then he could swing by the Western Auto on his way home FRiday and buy a box of bullets...no worry about supply, about govt anti-gun pressure.

a 32cal old pistol made it's way into his hands during the MLK riots when we were living in New Jersey...but again, that was as far as firearms got for us.

I grew into manhood and responsible for my own family/household in the late 80s..by the time public opinion had turned, the Clinton AWB was upon me. so just as I was getting to the point where diaper funds were no longer needed and I might have some expendable income, it was tougher to find a firearm and even the wife was of the mindset that "we don't need a military weapon in the home"

She had clear understanding that the Ruger mini 14 shot the same caliber round, had the same capacity, but it was a nice wood stock rifle, not a scary black military killing machine!!!

so more years passed, more riots, more politicians telling us we should not be permitted to own anything more than a 5 shot revolver from 1800s firearm technology.

She had become more acclimated over time and finally one day...after seeing ol Dianne Fienstien on the TV holding up an AR insisting on more gun control.. I just pulled my big boy panties up and told her I was buying an AR...she didn't push back...in fact, she now enjoys shooting the AR10, has her own collection of tools...10/22, M&P 9 compact for carry, Colt mustang 380, and a Ruger SR22. She's quite accurate on target..doesn't train enough on running the gun and doing drills, but she likes to plink the paper, ..more importantly , she is familiar with the manual of arms on various pistols, and long guns.

Honestly, while I enjoy the shooting sport, I'd be happy if our world never required me to think about home defense shotguns, front yard sweeper AR15s, high capacity pistols for personal defense outside the home, etc.

I didn't start this antigun political environment, I didn't start the whole "bad guy gets a deserved smackdown /shot by responding cops - lets' go riot"  mindset, I didn't start the whole "I am justified to steal from people and play the knockout game cause they are a different race than I am"  thing, but it is here..and so, yeah, invested in the tools, the supplies, many weekends of advanced training so that I feel I am capable AND  responsible for the choice to carry deadly force.  

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, WonderMonkey said:

I used to have more calibers of this and that, but in the last 8 years or so I've been consolidating.  Sure, you need certain classes of things for certain applications, but I have found comfort that I don't have to stock large amounts in five different handgun calibers and can just do two.  My wife and I both use the same caliber for handgun and I use a different for a specialized pistol that I carry outdoors sometimes.  It's been much easier keeping my stock where I like this way.

yep.  I truly have tried to keep things consolidated..."tried"...grin.

actually, when I started my small biz that exposed me to late nights and higher risk, I wasn't ready for a lot of gun stuff...so I grabbed a used little 32acp mouse gun from a friend..carried that for a couple years, realized it was useless in a gun fight, and little more than maybe a belly puncher, get off me tool.

upgraded to a Colt mustang 380 to keep the small conceal option.

but I wanted a larger home defense pistol, truck gun...and on paper at least 40cal looked good. So I grabbed an old duty pistol.. S&W 4006. Remember we were just coming out of the Clinton ban so 10rd capacity and in fact the 11rd mags for that gun are marked LEO only...silly times.

I like the 40, but it pretty much magnifies any bad trigger habits I have. There is about 800rds on hand for it and a few boxes of premium loads as well...so any of the family that eventually inherits it will at least have plenty of spare mags and some ammo to feed it.

but I'm a sucker for a purty 1911.  and that became my primary pistol platform...so inventory stocked up to cover my training classes etc....while some people would think having 1,000-2,000rds on hand makes me extreme gun nut, it's cause they haven't taken training classes or been involved in shooting sports where they blow through 500+ rounds on a saturday, let along the practice time to prepare for it.

while the wife likes her 9mm, and most of my adult kids wound up with 9mm platforms, I had not looked twice at adding another gun beyond my 1911s.

then the whole high capacity debate continued to heat up.. I found myself buying a few extra 17rd mags for the wife's pistol.

but I also realized that a day could come when we were returned to an AWB..and one that might not have a sunset date.

so 9mm got added. Again, if  I'm carrying, you'd still find me with just a 1911 on me...so a kimber ultra for example means I'm holding 7rds and a spare mag. But for normal life events, that should be good to get out of a mugging.

I chose to go with some higher capacity 9mm platforms simply because some politicals are telling me I shouldn't be allowed to have them.

other than some range time, they sit in the gun safe. Come a day when  pandemic, social unrest etc gets to looking like Venezuela, then, yeah, a trip to the grocery store might be good to have 20plus round capacity and spare mags to provide the cover to get out of the parking lot with the week's food supplies.

beyond that, it's a purely political driven response...had they not pushed, I would own more guitars instead of these guns.

1 hour ago, WonderMonkey said:

Now where's the fun in that?

You gotta have a 218 bee and a 257 Roberts around.  Just because.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

I have a .257 Roberts and it's a deer killer.😊

2 minutes ago, PROV said:

I have a .257 Roberts and it's a deer killer.😊

Dad has a Ruger #1 in 257 Bob.  Don't think he's ever fired it. LOL

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Dad has a Ruger #1 in 257 Bob.  Don't think he's ever fired it. LOL

I was talking with @shadetree just yesterday about people with guns that were never fired 

5 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Well that's true.  I'm all for having something just because you want/NEED it.