Akunin

Firearms

2 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Dad has a Ruger #1 in 257 Bob.  Don't think he's ever fired it. LOL

I would be happy to shoot it for him.😉

lord knows...my gun safe looks like the scratch n dent section at an appliance store.

most of my guns were purchased used, and even then, they were fairly well kept by previous.

but I carry mine, wear em when working on the property, etc...sweat, dirt, scratching.

pretty much the same as my truck.  I have guys at the office that have pickups that are always spotless, have never set foot off pavement, etc...mine tends to look like it got in a tussel in a ground war somewhere deep in Mexico.  But I can tell you most every dent, and the great adventures/memories associated with them.

• Like 1

as per what fish^^^ said, i got my hands on a winchester model '94, 30-30 just the other day, paid $ 400.00+ box of ammo, claim has it, its never been fired ?, i'd argue it has, as the ammo gate has scratches on it, who owns a 30-30 and never shoots it ?.

• Like 1

on another note, i finally bought and installed a koplin gun boot and mount for my trx450fm, installed in yesterday, i think it will work great, both the boot and mount cost me right over $ 99.00 bucks, very happy with it so far. have not taken any pic's yet ?, but surely ya'll know what a gun boot looks like on atv's..right ?..lol.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shadetree said:

as per what fish^^^ said, i got my hands on a winchester model '94, 30-30 just the other day, paid $ 400.00+ box of ammo, claim has it, its never been fired ?, i'd argue it has, as the ammo gate has scratches on it, who owns a 30-30 and never shoots it ?.

I doubt this firearm works.  Want me to take it off your hands?

27 minutes ago, shadetree said:

on another note, i finally bought and installed a koplin gun boot and mount for my trx450fm, installed in yesterday, i think it will work great, both the boot and mount cost me right over $ 99.00 bucks, very happy with it so far. have not taken any pic's yet ?, but surely ya'll know what a gun boot looks like on atv's..right ?..lol.

I've been chewing back and forth on how to carry my rifle from cabin to tree stand.  It's not a difficult ride and I could always sling it cross body, but I'm going to hear how you feel yours travels and possibly pick one one.  I've been eyeing those.

47 minutes ago, WonderMonkey said:

I've been chewing back and forth on how to carry my rifle from cabin to tree stand.  It's not a difficult ride and I could always sling it cross body, but I'm going to hear how you feel yours travels and possibly pick one one.  I've been eyeing those.

I've been using one since the 80's and they are great.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, WonderMonkey said:

I doubt this firearm works.  Want me to take it off your hands?

haha..u wish !. i bought it from a very well known guy who deals with a ton of guns as a hobby, chances are, it does work !..lol.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, WonderMonkey said:

yeah, my marlin has a sling, and thats how i was transporting it over my back, but on rides, it gets bounced around a tad, so i went with this gun boot, can't go wrong for the price, bought it from rocky mountain atv, model is koplin IV.

• Like 1

yeah, my marlin has a sling, and thats how i was transporting it over my back, but on rides, it gets bounced around a tad, so i went with this gun boot, can't go wrong for the price, bought it from rocky mountain atv, model is koplin IV.

Thanks, I was going to ask you which model.  I like the boot over the cradle that I see all over on front racks.  If I order it, I'll name it after you.

17 hours ago, shadetree said:

Gonna need pics!  30-30 ammo right now is a tough find, so you probably got the gun for $350 and the ammo for $50 LOL.

That's a deal on a Winchester lever even if it's well used.   Lever gun prices are nuts these days.

• Like 1

my old model 94 used to ride in a scabbard mounted on the front fork of my Trail 90.  you can see the softside scabbard on the bike in this picture

my 94 has that front sight "shroud"..no scope.

I keep a small supply of the red tip Leverevolution ammo.  Supposedly give me an extra 50yards?  I dunno..deer around here from a stand...100yd max..and inside that range is where that 30-30 really works so well.

Hondas.jpeg

3 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Gonna need pics!  30-30 ammo right now is a tough find, so you probably got the gun for $350 and the ammo for $50 LOL.

That's a deal on a Winchester lever even if it's well used.   Lever gun prices are nuts these days.

ask, and you shall receive !., gun was 400, paid 20 bucks for the box of hornady 30-30, 150 gr, 20ct of ammo.

IMG_1683.JPG

IMG_1684.JPG

IMG_1685.JPG

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bighanded said:

my old model 94 used to ride in a scabbard mounted on the front fork of my Trail 90.  you can see the softside scabbard on the bike in this picture

my 94 has that front sight "shroud"..no scope.

I keep a small supply of the red tip Leverevolution ammo.  Supposedly give me an extra 50yards?  I dunno..deer around here from a stand...100yd max..and inside that range is where that 30-30 really works so well.

Hondas.jpeg

yep, my winchester also has the shroud on front sight. no scope, as these are top ejection only, that is the one thing i don't like about it ?, but other than this, 30-30 is a great brush gun. i hunt in nothing but wooded area, so great for this. 100 yrds is about dead on for these guns, anything over this is a hit-miss chance. i use 150 gr ammo.

those old rifles, design, have stood the test of time as a solid tool for the common man.

I am glad to own one.

congrats on your new acquisition!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WonderMonkey said:

Thanks, I was going to ask you which model.  I like the boot over the cradle that I see all over on front racks.  If I order it, I'll name it after you.

do not use front rack mounts that are sideways !. this is a big no no when it comes to riding in brush.

1 minute ago, Bighanded said:

those old rifles, design, have stood the test of time as a solid tool for the common man.

I am glad to own one.

congrats on your new acquisition!

ty !. i now own both a marlin and winchester, winchester gun safe now has a kid to hold after its name..lol.

• Like 1

Just now, jeepwm69 said:

Model 94 Antique.  Made 1964-1983

https://www.gunvaluesboard.com/i-have-a-winchester-94-30/30-with-saddle-ring-and-scroll-etc...-2596526.html

Nice looking rifle.  Winchesters are my favorite, but I like Marlin lever guns due to the side ejection. 

But a 94 Winchester is THE lever gun to have if you only have one.

agreed !. i could not pass it up any longer, he said 400, i thought about it, then said....SOLD !..LOL. and yes, i love the marlin more because of the side ejection, this is the down fall over the winchester.

@jeepwm69 , can you tell what year is was made --. 3018080, i can't find it anywhere ?.

do not use front rack mounts that are sideways !. this is a big no no when it comes to riding in brush.

I can see how they would get hung up on passing "stuff".  I have clear paths to my stand, but I'm not always guaranteed to go to that stand in the future.

15 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

EEE53616-38A9-46EB-B004-8DFF63B79093.png

1967, wow, 3 yrs after i was born !..lol.

1967, wow, 3 yrs before i was born !..lol.

I'm getting old. 8 years after I was born!!!🙄