Akunin

Firearms

Bowfishing is fun! I began in the late 70s shooting carp in the river and I got pretty good at it. During the 80s we began to see fall salmon runs in the river, lots of them... and no one knew or even suspected that they were there. I used to fill the smoker with salmon using my bow as soon as the run began, then I'd jump in with waders and fish 'em with my steelhead rod & reel for fun. 30+ pounders were common and they stripped line off like a runaway train!

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, retro said:

Bowfishing is fun! I began in the late 70s shooting carp in the river and I got pretty good at it. During the 80s we began to see fall salmon runs in the river, lots of them... and no one knew or even suspected that they were there. I used to fill the smoker with salmon using my bow as soon as the run began, then I'd jump in with waders and fish 'em with my steelhead rod & reel for fun. 30+ pounders were common and they stripped line off like a runaway train!

Nice  !!!!  I am glad you have experienced bow fishing   >   reeling in on anything 30+ pounds  on a pole is fun ----  carp are plentiful and get big down here , but have not caught on well as a eatable >  @SamUK could tell us more , I have heard carp fishing is  big in the UK , they have Carp Master like we have Bass Masters 

• Like 3

On 9/11/2020 at 11:51 AM, sled_22 said:

Anchor point is where hold your hand against your head to look down the sights of the bow. If you don't hold your hand in the exact same spot every time you shoot, your pin placement and arrow placement will be inconsistent. Many factors play a part, release strap, clothing, glasses/contacts, etc.

An example of the difference it can make, hold a finger out in front of you and point at something, then close one eye. Now open the other eye and close the first. (hopefully you have both eyes).  your finger will be pointing else where because your line of sight moved. Same principle with a bow. You have to keep your line of sight down the arrow consistent. Lots of practice is usually required or adding tools to your bow to help correct tendencies.

Sled

yep...consistency is my challenge..and it's on me, cause I just don't take the time to go out back and practice..cooler weather is coming and I'll see if the grandkids will rekindle their interest...2 grandaughters were all about bows when a couple movies had come out..but when they realized how much work it was and that it wasn't going to be like the movies...they kinda faded on their interest.

I don't currently hunt, so there's not been motivation to make sure my shots are going to be true..and I sold the jon boat last year so I don't have a gigging/bowfishing rig at the moment..so that bow is also living in the closet along with my hunting compound and my old recurve.

I do enjoy targe fun, but just haven't dedicated the time to it..maybe this Fall.

• Like 1

i got a long bow, bear, best i remember an my guns, i shoot from my rt. eye also i have a blind spot in that eye, center, but i'm still accurate. more than most, some of the shooting, is from instinct point an shoot, dont look through the site's. gotta admit the long bow, was hard to let go an arrow, in a tree. too many branches., or not enough trimming of branches, beforehand.

On 9/13/2020 at 7:03 PM, Fishfiles said:

Nice  !!!!  I am glad you have experienced bow fishing   >   reeling in on anything 30+ pounds  on a pole is fun ----  carp are plentiful and get big down here , but have not caught on well as a eatable >  @SamUK could tell us more , I have heard carp fishing is  big in the UK , they have Carp Master like we have Bass Masters 

carp is under estimated, you should see some of the lures, over in england, they would make cat fishing easier. i have ate older catfish, the trick is to clean out the mud vein. next to the spine. i dont know why it is called that, has nothing to do with mud, suppose it like that with carp, cod fish, or so. the skin on a cat fish, i can do without, but i like the skin on salmon, go figure. cosco, salmon must be flavored -rite. the vascular doctor said i must eat least 3 oz of it., a week. bet i can swing more. i used to eat mackerel out of a can. once i found a tiny crab, bought an inch or so in diameter, musta got cooked good, it were orange. should have ate it, with my crackers.

i found sardines, an big red, make your burps so bad, that some will near pass out. 🙂, just wanted to tell ya, in case you do this. put a whole new meaning on fish farts.

Edited by LedFTed
  • Haha 1

pics are likely hard to see, but these are my compounds...nuttin expensive , as I don't deserve serious rig.

the hunting bow is an old 90s Martin Phantom...bottom of their serious line of bows back then and I had to get into that level at least to get into a lefty.

there's a quick release flip up you can barely see there on the shelf..it works pretty well and it's been so many years I can't remember what the actual brand of that site was.

The PSE Wave is the typical budget bowfishing bow..and yes lord, I've accessoried is to where it is very VERY nose heavy.

between the zebco, and the green laser it was bad enough, but then I took an old surefire issue light (no, don't ask me how that item wound up back here in the states after the Army (actually the Navy) was finished with it...but it has a great remote cap switch.

that light and the laser both have their remotes taped to the front of the grip so I can select what I want for momentary.

if it wasn't that I am always aiming that bow down into the water, I'd be worn out trying to keep it up for a straight shot (grin)

I've got the Martin dialed down about as low as I can get it.. it's hanging around 58lbs right now, cause I'm getting old and tossing 50 on the range wears this boy out.

I've never tried bow fishing for anything other than flounder..in SC they license it on the gigging license...so my targets aren't "moving"..just laying there on the mud bank minding their own business (LOL)

and, yes, I'm a lefty..actually, like my Dad, I'm ambi.  But certain things I do left handed (I'm right eye dom)

I throw balls left, bowl  and disc golf( frizbee) right, shoot guns right, have a set of lefthanded golf clubs, but can shoot equally bad either hand (grin)

play guitar right...go figure.

bowsback.jpg

bowsfront.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

Better hang onto your ammo!  You priced 9mm ammo lately? 

49 minutes ago, shadetree said:

no..went way up ?..lol. i still haven't even fired it yet !!..lol.

21 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

It's going between .50 and $1 per round now, depending on what part of the country you're in.

Sold out everywhere, and people are hoarding it with the election coming up.

It might be time for me to empty out the old stuff and go get some "fresh"...

These are still available to me with a bit of wait for $8/box (50ct)

They are reloads but done by a craftsman. I have ran several boxes without a failure...

Before anyone asks they are not available... I am truly sorry. They sell to their current customers only and are busy enough...

20201013_122455.jpg

Edited by oh400ex
  • Like 1

Casting has become a lot more difficult to do (to save money) with lead wheel weights going away. 

That said, powder coating cast boolits has become a great way to shoot them without leading up your barrel.

I might have to look more into it since I just delved off into 300BLK (Rem 700) and that stuff is unobtainium now.  Even if you want to roll your own, you can't get the components.

I gave Shade a couple of boxes of 9 when he met me to give me old 350D tires a while back.

When Wallyworld sold off all their handgun ammo they marked it WAY down, and I'm friendly with my local Walmart sporting goods dept manager.  I watched the prices expecting a markdown, and wasn't disappointed.  Drove straight to the store and stocked up.

Any advice on purchasing a suppressor for a hunting rifle?

Edited by Goober

Yep looking at Harvester 300

does this remote purchasing method work okay?

Edited by Goober

That I cannot yet say.  From what I understand, you do everything online except the finger prints, but the suppressor itself must still be picked up at a local(ish) dealer who handles such things.

Fingerprints can be done at a retailer associated with silencer shop, OR you can have them done by local LEO and mail them in.

The background check can be quite lengthy as well, from what I've heard.

I haven't gotten one, just have friends who have them.  They make shooting MUCH more pleasant. 

I've been holding off hoping that the so called "hearing protection act" would gain some momentum.

yep...was really hoping the feds would relax on the whole suppressor thing..just hasn't happened.. I've enjoyed the 22cal that my friend has when he comes to my backyard range...and he also has one for his 9mm SPX.. Frankly that is still surprisingly loud..really, the only no-ear protection shooting we can do is with 22lr through that can..taking it up to the .223 AR rifle..just too dang loud and the 9mm..no...lotta money and Govt hassle for something that just isn't like the movies.

as for ammo..have to say I'm pretty happy with the 'Me' from 2018-2019...I quietly stocked up...a LOT...and can now relax and ride this panic out.

10 minutes ago, Bighanded said:

yep...was really hoping the feds would relax on the whole suppressor thing..just hasn't happened.. I've enjoyed the 22cal that my friend has when he comes to my backyard range...and he also has one for his 9mm SPX.. Frankly that is still surprisingly loud..really, the only no-ear protection shooting we can do is with 22lr through that can..taking it up to the .223 AR rifle..just too dang loud and the 9mm..no...lotta money and Govt hassle for something that just isn't like the movies.

as for ammo..have to say I'm pretty happy with the 'Me' from 2018-2019...I quietly stocked up...a LOT...and can now relax and ride this panic out.

Wise man.  Doesn't go bad, not going to get any cheaper, and if you need it and don't have it......

The last couple of "panics" people called me wanting to know where they could get stuff, so while prices have been down, I've been reminding them.  Most took heed.

As for the cans, I'm about deaf, especially in my left ear (I shoot right handed, so left ear is towards the muzzle).  I'd LOVE to be able to quiet things down, but man they charge you $$$ and it's a lot of red tape.

I was talking to the old man a while back about it, and he said "You know, $200 in 1934 was an obscene amount of money.  Had .gov just tried to ban things, it would have likely been struck down by SCOTUS, so instead that put a prohibitive tax on all of the NFA stuff.  What they haven't done (thankfully) is adjust that tax for inflation over the years."

Only a matter of time before some unusually smart (like double digit IQ) politician figures that out, and jacks the tax stamp fee through the roof.

yeah, the have the models for tax..both in terms of the NFA as well as "sin tax" on cigarettes..they can apply that same game to ammo for example and keep pricing things to where folks just won't have the appetite to buy a case of 9mm at a time. That said, knew sooner or later the next match would get lit and we'd be back in the Sandy Hook gun panic mode again..didn't see it getting this bad..and it'll be a longer run this time.

so I did put a little extra pain on the wallet over the previous couple years (actually hit it a bit hard when they were convinced that Hillary would be crowned queen of the universe)..and I've lived through the Clinton ban...didn't want to get caught without those kinds of items.

so I ramped up on the higher capacity mags..even little things like the Ruger 10/22 rifle mags..getting multiple 15 and 25rd.

the AR15 and AR10 wound up with 3 times what I would have planned to own in magazines and ammo.

Was enjoying as recently as this past Janurary, buying deals from Palmetto State armory as an example: 1,000 rd loose box 9mm CCI 115gr $169 with free shipping and $40 rebate...that's where the market was...by April that same deal was $310, NO free shipping and No rebates..by July..out of stock.

I'm not saying I can supply my local boys through a Red Dawn movie event.. but I'm no spring chicken and what supply I do have, will certainly outlive me.

Have been very surprised at the number of friends..good friends, who have sat around more than one cup of coffee and listened to me and others talk about buying ammo and guns over the past years...and then find out they have 1 box of 50 9mm, or 80 rds of 223 for their AR...both of these conversations have happened in the past 3 weeks.

I won't be able to train as much as I'd like, but my days of much more aggressive training have been done for  a couple years now anyway...was doing some more serious stuff  and a 500rd Saturday wasn't uncommon...and I'd burn another couple hundred just getting ready for said class so that I'd not be embarrassed as I shouldered up with some serious shooters.

33 minutes ago, Bighanded said:

yeah, the have the models for tax..both in terms of the NFA as well as "sin tax" on cigarettes..they can apply that same game to ammo for example and keep pricing things to where folks just won't have the appetite to buy a case of 9mm at a time. That said, knew sooner or later the next match would get lit and we'd be back in the Sandy Hook gun panic mode again..didn't see it getting this bad..and it'll be a longer run this time.

so I did put a little extra pain on the wallet over the previous couple years (actually hit it a bit hard when they were convinced that Hillary would be crowned queen of the universe)..and I've lived through the Clinton ban...didn't want to get caught without those kinds of items.

so I ramped up on the higher capacity mags..even little things like the Ruger 10/22 rifle mags..getting multiple 15 and 25rd.

the AR15 and AR10 wound up with 3 times what I would have planned to own in magazines and ammo.

Was enjoying as recently as this past Janurary, buying deals from Palmetto State armory as an example: 1,000 rd loose box 9mm CCI 115gr $169 with free shipping and $40 rebate...that's where the market was...by April that same deal was $310, NO free shipping and No rebates..by July..out of stock.

I'm not saying I can supply my local boys through a Red Dawn movie event.. but I'm no spring chicken and what supply I do have, will certainly outlive me.

Have been very surprised at the number of friends..good friends, who have sat around more than one cup of coffee and listened to me and others talk about buying ammo and guns over the past years...and then find out they have 1 box of 50 9mm, or 80 rds of 223 for their AR...both of these conversations have happened in the past 3 weeks.

I won't be able to train as much as I'd like, but my days of much more aggressive training have been done for  a couple years now anyway...was doing some more serious stuff  and a 500rd Saturday wasn't uncommon...and I'd burn another couple hundred just getting ready for said class so that I'd not be embarrassed as I shouldered up with some serious shooters.

Back in the late 90's I got an AR and a MAK90, way before they were common.  Wasn't uncommon for us to go out and shoot 500-1K rounds on a Saturday.  AK ammo was $79/K and 223 was $100/K shipped, so wasn't like it is now.

When ammo went up, and I was in school selling plasma for beer money,  I sold them both off to a shop in NW Arkansas called "The Pawndarosa" LOL. 

Back then the Klinton ban was still in effect so decent mags were $40 for a used beater.

So when prices went back down, I told guys "Hey, prices are cheap, ya'll better be buying now"

I pretty much only buy stuff now if it's dirt cheap, which 99% of the time means Walmart closeouts.  When they stopped selling handgun ammo late last year I stocked up, and shared with friends (@shadetree got a little of it for his Beretta).

Last week I got some Winchester steel shot, 3" #2's for the womenfolk to duck hunt with.  Was marked down to $3/box and had a $2/box rebate on it, so you better believe I got all of that.  Shared one case with @basfnb for his kid.

I don't shoot much anymore, so haven't needed to buy much, but if I see a stupid cheap deal, I'm on it. 

• Like 1

yep...same manual of arms....always a good option.

and they were pretty decently priced back before this panic-demic.. I've not looked at anything gun related now for months..so no clue on availability and price.  My wife is good with the wall of green ammo cans in my closet right now..if she had seen them last year or the year before, she likely woulda had me go see a doctor..but I tend to keep that kinda stuff out of sight and she hadn't really paid attention...here recently I had stuff pulled out when she happened to come into my office and asked  "are all those cans filled with ammo?!!!"

I nodded..and then she asked "you think you have enough?"   

Probably not..was my reply.

I'm off the hook given how right I obviously was to spend the $..but she's made it clear I don't need to bring anything else home.

that said, it's a purty day.. I'm gonna go ride my ol 300, maybe trim some limbs...just something outdoors for a bit..ya'll have a good evening.

17 minutes ago, Bighanded said:

I nodded..and then she asked "you think you have enough?"   

Probably not..was my reply.

A wise man once told me "The only time you can have too much ammo is if you're swimming or on fire".

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

Jeep , if you want to still  practice with the feel of the AR and shoot a lot for cheap , a Smith and Wesson MP14-22 is a good choice , .22 LR 

Airsoft.

For training they can't be beat...

Done a few home invasion (indoor) scenario type drills and having a training tool goes a LONG way. Definitely true that it makes you better to go through the motions. This model is an AR that shoots airsoft pellets. It is metal, has weight in all the right places and feels like the real thing. For cheap training... can't be beat. It isn't the real thing but if you think the skill doesn't carry over watch this video. The young man in the video is a better shooter than all of us without ever touching a real gun. Video is worth a watch if you like firearms. 

20201014_173001.jpg

20201014_173032.jpg

20201014_173005.jpg

• Like 1

I watched about 10 minutes of the video , the kid is good , might watch more later 

• Like 1

Question,  what is a Browning White Medallion Stainless Steel .325 WSM Bolt action rifle with a Leupold 4.5-14 50MM scope worth?

Screenshot_20201101-172111_Chrome.jpg

31 minutes ago, Freedomflyer said:

Question,  what is a Browning White Medallion Stainless Steel .325 WSM Bolt action rifle with a Leupold 4.5-14 50MM scope worth?

Screenshot_20201101-172111_Chrome.jpg

Kind of an oddball caliper imo but other than that I’d say the scope used is probably worth 300 and the gun 1000-1200. I wouldn’t pay over 1500. 

22 minutes ago, Freedomflyer said:

Just talked to the owners brother, said scope was 1200.00 gun was 2500.00🤔

I believe it new. I’m also cheap.