Akunin

Firearms

On March 29, 2020 at 9:41 AM, Fishfiles said:

I got a question for you'll  gun guys :  Are  Hy-Shocks fragmenting bullets  the same type of bullet as what is called  Black Talons ? 

Bumped ^^^ I'd like to know myself .. 

8 hours ago, Loosemarbles said:

I bought a smith&wesson MP 40cal. It was one of the worst pistol I ever owned. I couldn’t hit a bull in the butt at 10 yards. Smith& Wesson makes good firearms. I got a lemon and left a sour taste in my mouth. So I bought a Sig p250 40 cal and a Sig p226 9mm. Both are very accurate. 

24BF8CC9-4A2B-45B7-B4BA-CFF37E20BF6F.jpeg

Yah I’d say you got a lemon too, I have a M&P Shield in .40 cal and it is very accurate and fun to shoot. Takes any ammo I put in it. 

I've never been much of a fan of any of the poly-tupperware pistols of the past decade...the long trigger pullls/resets I guess are more noticable to an old 1911 guy  who is used to a crisp trigger with very short reset. But it is what you are used to.. I've been shouldered-up with excellent shooters/LEO who out perform me with their M&Ps so I certainly don't knock anyway's choice..just glad good folks are armed, trained, and capable and leave it at that.

my wife likes her M&P 9mm compact, she shoots well with it and the gun is certainly more accurate than I am capable of being with it.

without a doubt though, the older Sigs..ie P2009 and the 226...have enabled me to shoot tighter groups on those style platforms (DA/SA) trigger systems...not as good as my 1911s when running drills, but certainly nice to have the higher capacity.. I think the old  Sig model 2009 was the first time I had gotten into a double stack mag that gave me 14 rds in hand and a very good shooting gun, even though that slow motion decocker messes with your head (grin).

When I first tried the new striker fired platform, it was on a friends Sig P320 and I was not impressed. trigger felt gritty, squishy, just not good in general.and that was after hundreds of rounds.. I tried a new one at the local store..it felt even worse.

So I was surprised when I got my hands on their M17..which I assumed was basically the same assembly..but it's much better..and I have a couple guys that own 320s and they both immediately notice how much better the m17 trigger feels.  As a 1911 guy I'm not unhappy with the M17 trigger at all..short reset, good smooth pull.

now... I've talked triggers just to make the point that it can make such a different in a persons ability to get on target consistently, then add to that what I've said in the past about 40cal...at least for me, i find that the 40cal recoil, snappy as it is, tends to magnify all my bad trigger habits..if I'm pushing, etc.. it'll show up on paper all the more when I run 40s vs 9s or 45.

so I'm saying this to gently suggest that it might not be your gun so much as the gun fit to the shooter that's causing accuracy issues.. a small shorty like the shield, little palm swell gap fill on the hand grip, lotta recoil from a 40 in that size package etc...I'd cut yourself and the gun a bit of slack when it comes to being able to group at 10-15yds on that platform.

Those SigP320s with the gritty Trigger feel you mentioned they should go to Sigs website and check out the free trigger assembly replacement program that they have to get the updated new style Trigger at no charge. It Will be the same Trigger that you experienced with the M17. My P320 came with this new trigger assembly

Edited by 01RUBY500
  • Like 1

good to know...thanks....I'll let my buds know, one of them dislikes his 320 to the point where he's trying to sell it.

My father in law just went up in the hills in North Arkansas to turkey hunt this week.  Those hill people trade everything, and sure enough, he comes home and asks me yesterday what a "Savage in 6.5 creedmore and a Smith and Wesson SW9VE"  are worth. 

I was digging out a generator at the time, and wasn't familiar with any Savages or that particular model of S&W, so I told him that I wasn't sure off the top of my head, wondering what he was up to.

He replied that he'd traded his 14 foot john boat with trailer and electric start 15HP nissan AND his JM Marlin 336 in 35 Rem for those two guns.

I got sick at my stomach.  That Marlin was a NICE rifle, and that pistol can be had new for $280, and I'm guessing the Savage is an Axis or other cheap rifle. 

He knew better than to trade with those hill people.  They get the best of you every time.....

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

oh my gooodness!!!!!  how horrible...the boat?!!!?!!

years back... Sandy Hook gun panic buy and market shortage time frame...I was fine on  firearms and ammo, but a guy wanted one of my vintage amps really bad and I wasn't really in the mood to sell it...he found my secret weakness and offered to trade "some guns" for some guitar amps.

we wound up settling on me letting him have one smaller amp that I had $250 in...worth about $450 on the market, for an old 1943 Remmington Rand 1911 that he had been able to secure as a result of his time as a Sgt in the Corps

you are likely right on the Axis budget line version...they can be a good value for the price but they are in the budget market fer sure.

I'm not familiar either with the Smitty Sigma model...but it looks to be a $200 offering?  ouch.

• Like 1

Yeah, that JM marked 336 was made in the early 70's, was in excellent condition, and the 35 Rem chambered guns have been bringing $500+ lately.  

That was probably his 2nd nicest gun, behind only a 70 series Colt Government model, and he traded it off for two guns he could have bought cheap at any big box sporting goods store in the country.

gawd I hate to hear about things like this.

I know folks tend to want to unload old- school sometimes...dump a bolt or lever in favor of a hi-cap pistol, that sort of thing.

my old guns all came via my Dad..so they will never leave the family, even if they don't get used these days.

about once every couple years I pull one of his out just to enjoy shooting it... remembering as a kid him taking me pheasant/rabbit hunting or to the moose lodge turkey shoot and me running his old Winchester model 12 16ga..it's a good feeling to pull that thing out on occassion and toss some through it.

good memories not to be forgotten....that old gun likely wouldn't bring enough $ to make a good dinner/movie date night happen these days, but it's important to me.

Edited by Bighanded
spelling
  • Like 2

I looked up that S&W he traded for.  Looks like a cheap POS. Guy on the S&W forum said the trigger pull was "backhoe".  LOL.  Had he traded for an early N frame or something it wouldn't have been so bad. LOL.

yeah... you had me curious so I took a quick peek..and man...I guess they werre trying to hit the entry market and squeeze some of the Taurus biz out or something

what a shame..no.. a crime  that your pop came home with this deal... very sorry.

I like the term "backhoe"  with regards to the trigger ...that's funny.

• Sad 1

this dont have to do nothing with guns yet. when i was young, i got a epiphone guitar an amp., for christmas, i also got a shot gun some years later. H&R Topper 20 ga. single shot. my friend told me the guitar was only worth $100, an the amp $40. need i say i was lied to. my cousin told me the shotgun was worth $20. snookered the 1st. time. the guitar came later. snookered again. That guitar go's for 3-5 thousand. it was in good shape. the shotgun should have at least held its value, maybe more. i dont talk to either of those people much, if at all.

Edited by LedFTed

yep...original Epihones (before Gibson bought the name)  were excellent guitars and bring some $ for collectors.

once Gibson grabbed the name , they relegated it to being mostly gibson copies made in Malaysia via the Samick plant that also made many other brands in the same plant.

so guys that might not know, may have assumed you had a later model Epi and they weren't far off as to used value, but if it was a real deal, then , sorry that it's been lost to you.

As one of the larger collectors of vintage amps of certain brands in the country (I literaly led a national group of collectors and knew the original company owner, etc..)  I tended to find deals, swap n trade, and get good deals over the years, so by the time the gun for amp trade came my way, I was happy with the values of both items...but I did know what I had, what I had in it, what it should sell for, and how interested I was in owning the gun instead of the amp..so it was a decent trade.  But I've seen many folks through the years..or spouses, really loose out....my wife and kids know my amp collection hobby, have attended guitar shows, etc with me so they know the value of what is in my warehouse..so if I pass away unexpectedly, the wife will be able to pull some decent $ and call on several good friends in the collector group to help her get fair price for stuff and move it more quickly than an ebay thing.

As I approach retirement I'll continue to thin my collections out anyway...enough out there to buy a newer travel trailer and hit the road in better comfort than our old 26footer provides today.

I probably need to getr serious about selling my old 1979 honda CT90 too while it is still in great shape...but everytime I pull it out for a short rride, I remember how fun it is.

• Like 2

Just dawned on me I hadn't even posted a pic of my home defence yet. Took it to the range this morning and figured I better snag a pic since I got it all shiney again 

20200417_125036.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Akunin said:

Just dawned on me I hadn't even posted a pic of my home defence yet. Took it to the range this morning and figured I better snag a pic since I got it all shiney again 

20200417_125036.jpg

What is that ,  it looks like a toy 

Looks like a .223 bull-pup but can't remember what brand.

35 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

😄

IWI Tavor x95 bullpup 5.56

Here is the older model Tavor with Jerry Miculek having fun

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

lol, that chamber view indicator doesn't help though. fun to shoot and inside close quarters that bullpup sweeps corners very nicely

Edited by Akunin
  • Like 1

Anyone know what this Rifle is?  My son traded 720 rounds of .223 for it. New condition and never been fired. He took advantage of the ammo shortage. 

image.jpeg

Edited by 01RUBY500
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 01RUBY500 said:

Anyone know what this Rifle is?  My son traded 720 rounds of .223 for it. New condition and never been fired. He took advantage of the ammo shortage. 

image.jpeg

Mosin Nagant M44

Caliber 7.62x54r

Edited by PROV
  • Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 5:48 AM, _Wilson_™ said:

Bumped ^^^ I'd like to know myself .. 

No they are not the same. Black Talons were made by Winchester and I don't think are available anymore. The hydra-shock is made by Federal and is available. I keep either hydra-shock or Gold dot ammunition in my duty weapons

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 01RUBY500 said:

image.jpeg

that's a whole can o worms I best leave closed...cause the mindset of the guy in the pic on the left....good luck hippeeee

• Like 2