catphe10

83 200e big red

Hello all, I just picked up an 83 big red. And I'm having a spark issue. I can only get it to spark intermently. I can go out and push the start button till the battery dies and not get one spark. Then go back to it after the battery is charged and it will fire the second I press the button. When it does start and run, sometimes it will run for 30 seconds sometimes it will run for an hour or more.  My question is what is moet lilly the problem? And how do I test to verify?  Thanks,

• Like 1

I would check the coil & plug.. have u pulled the plug & grounded to verify spark?

• Like 1

Does the battery pass a load test?

I suspect CDI, maybe pulse generator and or stator 

take CDI and heat to try and revive it—temporarily—sometimes heating with hair dryer for a few minutes is enough.

i heated mine in an oven for at least threes hours, no more than 200F. Let cool completely before you reinstall. Temp fix to isolate CDI 

use the oem parts finder at Rocky Mountain atv they have new CDI for $90

Edited by Goober
  • Like 1

my money say's either the stator is going bad ?, or the c.d.i. is going bad ?.

• Like 3

The pull starter will crank it faster than electric start, have you tried that with the plug out?

Well I think it was a combination of two items. The cdi and spark plug.

I replaced the cdi and it picked up the amount of times it would spark on the new plug, grounded to the block. But still wouldn't run with the current plug in the block. I replaced plug and now seems to run great. I tried the old plug grounded to the block again but still would not spark.

• Like 4

On 11/9/2021 at 11:19 AM, catphe10 said:

I can go out and push the start button till the battery dies and not get one spark. Then go back to it after the battery is charged and it will fire the second I press the button. When it does start and run, sometimes it will run for 30 seconds sometimes it will run for an hour or more. 

Sounds like a bad battery , that doesn't hold a load