Fishfiles

Landscape work

There was a 72 x 200 ft serve-a-tude that borders our property , it was going to be a street that was never put in 40 years ago  , we were able to buy it this past year , so I started cleaning it up , cut about 70 trees so far , I am loving my Husqvarna 450 saw , been using  my buddies' Bobcat T140 , man I love that machine ---- then  my old  Takeuchi which I sold a while back , I should have never sold that machine , it came back for a 2  weeks while my buddy is on vacation he is letting me use it , yesterday evening I got home right before dark and in 20 minutes I was able to dig up two stumps with it , he added a stiff arm thumb on the dipper/arm  and it helped out ,  man I have a lot of stumps  to dig up , wanted to do stump grinding to not disturb the ground so much , but it was going to cost a lot , got another 50 trees to cut down and up 

There is a nice little live oak , it has two branches that are just right for two  swings facing each other , the tree was clogged up with trees growing all thru it and vines choking it up  and covered in green algae and epiphytes , I cut those trees and pressure washed the trunk of the tree 

It has been a lot of work , but fun  

m1mgKAhcRCOs2CQg0uq0jQ.jpg

yTkDzsnlSJS9FhzzLaJQkA.jpg

Ma9omFQvTNy1osi29sxarw.jpg

RINzxKciQlSds5JpQTauKA.jpg

CrZvJkiJSWKKZUW6vzhPSg.jpg

• Like 8

Cool little backhoe machine to make things easier, can you drive that up to Michigan so I can use it?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, bcsman said:

Cool little backhoe machine to make things easier, can you drive that up to Michigan so I can use it?

Remember that Takeuchi was mine and I sold   , that was a mistake on my part , I rebuilt all the cylinders , changed a few hoses , new seat , paint job , serviced it , used it for about a year and sold it -------  had to do a repair today , was my fault , kind of , he had that crazy thumb on the dipper stick and it slide and pinched the hose , I had the fittings but was out of that size  hose , so had to go have one made , I  took the thumb off  till I am finished with it 

I dug up quite a few stumps today , also clearing  a 100 yard shooting lane , got a feeder and a game cam 

qdzGnXN2TYWgcvIrsvaWcQ.jpg

YjkgUiinSYKnxyQ6weH9yA.jpg

AJEbSUzSTHCtrglc72T3zQ.jpg

duTSpvgsT9Weg2EEmACvqQ.jpg

• Like 4

Picking away at it , dug up quite a few stumps , still have quite a few trees  want to cut down  want to come up with some kind of fire pit 

Already got a unwanted visitor  ,  from opening up a lane into the woods 

QqmHj0AnSG+nhXiwz7wdBQ.jpg

8kgHhOTJT9qodhVSaOUYPw.jpg

T4M4xdWeSUOhXmuxwC%ejg.jpg

• Like 2

soil looks good in the back fence area  , might have to do a garden this year coming , both my neighbors use to have horses , note the electric fence 

18bU5U7JTSKMZBEf+OEb3g.jpg

• Like 2

Just have to drill the vent holes for the smokeless trick ------- 

need to cut one brick on the top row ------  lesson learned , the fire rings at Tractor Supply come in three sizes , they are stacked one inside of  another , the guy was showing me that at the store , so , they are actually three different sizes , so , they can fit inside of one another for saving space in shipping , so I got the middle size one , if I would have gotten the biggest one , I would not have had to cut a brick 

1QvNp9pVS+6JFCxwvEYyMw.jpg

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Just have to drill the vent holes for the smokeless trick ------- 

need to cut one brick on the top row ------  lesson learned , the fire rings at Tractor Supply come in three sizes , they are stacked one inside of  another , the guy was showing me that at the store , so , they are actually three different sizes , so , they can fit inside of one another for saving space in shipping , so I got the middle size one , if I would have gotten the biggest one , I would not have had to cut a brick 

1QvNp9pVS+6JFCxwvEYyMw.jpg

Looks inviting. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 56Sierra said:

Looks inviting. 

Being you say that.  When your down this way again( which I believe you said would be soon ). You need to stop by and have some coffee and cookies.  Eh.  

It was a lot of holes to drill in the fire ring , used a step bit and it realy went pretty fast , seem to work cutting down on the smoke as I am burning wet fresh cut  pine in it ----   think it really needs cap stones on top the pipe , it would better force the air thru ---- I got a lot of pine to get rid of 

8knG+IrLQ8+jHpjJX+9JRg.jpg

fullsizeoutput_f2d.jpeg

5gVtvPV+QVKBDWEinKEIIA.jpg

Jt5Ju4yBQ6a6CYuXhtltmA.jpg

• Like 2

On 11/28/2021 at 10:55 AM, Fishfiles said:

Being you say that.  When your down this way again( which I believe you said would be soon ). You need to stop by and have some coffee and cookies.  Eh.  

That sounds like something we might just do while we are down here.

• Like 1

It would have been sweet if the Bobcat tracked loader was still here to use , suppose to have one here this week if the weather is right   , used the excavator to spread 18 tons of milled asphalt off the I-12 job , seems they can only reuse a percentage of the millings , completed a circle at the end of the street and a driveway onto the property  , those millings pack some good and it is like a highway after  it sets   -------   Then spread 16 yards of Mississippi River batcher sand to fill the tree stump holes and level it out , need a couple of more loads of sand  -----    Glad I have friends in the business , it would have cost quite a few dollars on equipment , materials and delivery fees 

e+4PBH0WRAmUxy8JzpRUgg.jpg

5vlVTjeFSvSCSe+wEoDC+Q.jpg

fullsizeoutput_f3f.jpeg

+gHr%Fb1SymcatQVeb+iLA.jpg

o%Q4VpQ2S+S3BklI74QwPQ.jpg

• Like 3

You're not kidding.  It costs a pretty penny to have an excavator come out and do work around here.

I need to blacktop my driveway too (potholes everywhere) but I'll end up having to pay full price for it.

Having connections is nice!

• Like 2

On 12/20/2021 at 9:34 AM, jeepwm69 said:

You're not kidding.  It costs a pretty penny to have an excavator come out and do work around here.

I need to blacktop my driveway too (potholes everywhere) but I'll end up having to pay full price for it.

Having connections is nice!

Are they repaving any highways or Interstate around you ? 

The going price delivered for milled asphalt around here is sold by weight ,  about $30 per ton which is just about the same volume as a yard 

In the old days they would recycle almost all of the asphalt , but they came out with a regulation that only a percentage of the old stuff can be recycled into the new highway when it is Interstate or even State highways , so there is always a lot of product shows up when resurfacing jobs crank up

milled is the best for a driveway , it will pack like highway  

This might have been the worst stump of  all the ones I have dug out , it was a double , maple and a pine together ----- got about 5 more that I want to takeout 

529HsbTrRG+SocnMEJW8kA.jpg

W11JIcaSRRuQe%LSDy0C9w.jpg

i65SWkdbQ6i0Z1A2FOrfwQ.jpg

N9ICEnM3TCm6O+sxoQK9Cg.jpg

RgUfXcNPRKS%t18jP%Wakg.jpg

Tannerite!

My house, built in 1947, has plaster walls throughout.  Most of the rooms have big cracks that have been repaired, from back in the 50's, when the neighbor, a retired Army General, decided to dynamite a stump in his yard and used about 5 times as much as he should have to blow the stump.  My grandfather said the stump went over treetop level (lots of 100+ year old oaks around here) and it busted walls in every house in the neighborhood.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Buddy picked up the excavator today , I had it for 3 months or longer so I can't complain , got a whole lot done and did not cost anything  >>>>>>>> I should have never sold it 

still got about 8 trees to get rid of , will likely go with the stump grinder guy from this point >>>  ( did I mentioned I was stupid for selling that excavator ) 

Got a 2 more loads of Mississippi River dredge sand coming , the little tractor with the grate rack works great for finishing up the top soil  , I got that tractor about 11 years ago now , it is a 1972 Sears Suburban , 16 HP , transmission = 6 forward / 2 reverse , it holds 8 quarts of oil in the transmission 

Has been a fun project , kind of like Homestead Rescue LOL 

uA30J6fATBiPVe0Foo82oQ.jpg

PkMQIyz8RpSd+u+qx%ck1Q.jpg

l7CSQURZSs+YYPx9KUNNuw.jpg

A2HFiZLJQcae1qe+a5zMdQ.jpg

iAasj1auSZOC9ad2KG%bsg.jpg

fullsizeoutput_f5f.jpeg

i%8tT9wIQ3C0+eZNOJ2qiw.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks Jeep , it been  a lot of work , but a good reward .....  added  .333 acre of land , 72.3 feet by 200 ft of key land 

Need a lot more fill than I thought   ------    Some pics after that last rain , might be the most I ever seen here , they said it rained 4 inches in one hour at one point 

fkJLo+QVRiudbFIAyGGxVw.jpg

sk1KRgKtQ22wgYjNI2Ii7Q.jpg

gunna take me a while to look over these pics but what I've seen i like!! 

Remember that Takeuchi was mine and I sold   , that was a mistake on my part

i sure do, and i to,d you! DON'T SELL IT...... lol! 

• Like 1

Got two more loads of sand since the last pic ---- 

Dropped 3 more pines using this snatch block method , it works good  , got them cut up and almost all burned , about ready to cut that damaged pine down 

AIWekP+NS++F9rGnqhYplQ.jpg

4KylfSybQ9WEphv4jLlhCA.jpg

• Like 1