Fishfiles

Landscape work

On 2/4/2022 at 7:13 AM, Fishfiles said:

Buddy picked up the excavator today , I had it for 3 months or longer so I can't complain , got a whole lot done and did not cost anything  >>>>>>>> I should have never sold it 

still got about 8 trees to get rid of , will likely go with the stump grinder guy from this point >>>  ( did I mentioned I was stupid for selling that excavator ) 

Got a 2 more loads of Mississippi River dredge sand coming , the little tractor with the grate rack works great for finishing up the top soil  , I got that tractor about 11 years ago now , it is a 1972 Sears Suburban , 16 HP , transmission = 6 forward / 2 reverse , it holds 8 quarts of oil in the transmission 

Has been a fun project , kind of like Homestead Rescue LOL 

uA30J6fATBiPVe0Foo82oQ.jpg

PkMQIyz8RpSd+u+qx%ck1Q.jpg

l7CSQURZSs+YYPx9KUNNuw.jpg

A2HFiZLJQcae1qe+a5zMdQ.jpg

iAasj1auSZOC9ad2KG%bsg.jpg

fullsizeoutput_f5f.jpeg

i%8tT9wIQ3C0+eZNOJ2qiw.jpg

Love the pic of your tractor...that's how real men roll.. around the big city up the road, the boys wouldn't be caught dead on anything less than a shiney new top model rider..and of course are out there with their $60 cargo shorts and ArmourAll polo shirts etc.  my old Husqvarna has a ripped up seat that makes yours look like new. but we get the jobs done (grin)...nice work on the landscape by the way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bighanded said:

Love the pic of your tractor...that's how real men roll.. around the big city up the road, the boys wouldn't be caught dead on anything less than a shiney new top model rider..and of course are out there with their $60 cargo shorts and ArmourAll polo shirts etc.  my old Husqvarna has a ripped up seat that makes yours look like new. but we get the jobs done (grin)...nice work on the landscape by the way.

Thanks , the seat of the tractor is a Bobcat economy version replacement , if i remember right , it was about $75 at the time , about 10 years ago ---- I have a Husqvarna zero swing , I like them ,  it is going on it's 3rd season , one before it lasted 13 years , still have it , everything works but the engine lost compression on one cylinder ----   I put the three bin bagger on it last year and it is a leaf eating goat 

IMG_9029.JPG

2 hours ago, Bighanded said:

Love the pic of your tractor...

I don't think  mentioned , I have attachments for that tractor , plow , blade , row maker , cultivator , and a couple of other thingies , got the whole deal , not running for $300 

The engine had been changed to a 16 from a 15  and he was pull rope starting it by wrapping the rope around the pulley for each try ----I  put a generator/starter in it  and wired in a voltage regulator added a battery back in it , had a new stainless steel fuel tank made for it ---love it 

15 minutes ago, Bighanded said:

oh...so you do dress up to mow the lawn (LOL)

Went to get a vasectomy and was wearing a tuxedo , Doctor asked why so dressed up , I said " if I am going to be impotent , I want to look impotent !!! "   -----     it is a joke , LOL 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

, also clearing  a 100 yard shooting lane , got a feeder and a game cam 

When is the shooting lane going in?

• Like 1

I dropped that deformed pine this weekend and lucky it went good and never hit the live oak and took down the swings ---- it hit the ground  so  hard that the wife came running outside to see what happened  ---- don't know what happen to that tree , where it was damaged it was so juicy with pine sap , like the tree was trying to heal itself , when I burned that chunk it was insane-o el'flam-o, black sooty smoke and flames 6 foot in the air , should  have taken some pics 

FDsdHAaSTC68hO8rIj841w.jpg

o6VmzhGNTR6FYuZizBPCFg.jpg

• Like 2

Got a pretty good method to get rid of stumps going , bbq charcoal , a cut drum and a top from a old propane heater for a top  , the charcoal been reasonably  priced , goes for $30 for 40 pounds, 30 pounds was enough to take out this stump , cheaper than a stump grinder or excavator rental ---need to rack some meat during the burn process , LOL 

ls1xMJtUQJqi1kEtcmRRLg.jpgvFtJxqqNThGS8ddJfRp1oA.jpg

JZ0xnsrAQ0qdQNZUB4NNRw.jpg

UfnOY7bIT6GqN1tkQElXgw.jpg

XDH61YIIQnyHvt55agPgIg.jpg

• Like 2

That’s a great method FF. On big stumps i used to drill a bunch of holes in the stump and pour a box of powdered milk every month or so. Then i heap dirt over it to keep it moist. Fungus grows and eats the stump to nothing in about a year. 

• Like 3

I was trying to drill  holes , found it very hard to do in fresh tree stump , but then after the wood was burned it would drill easier , so that was what I was doing , I'd throw a bag of coals and lite them up after they burned out I'd blow off the stump with a blower , then drill some holes as deep as I could , then lite it up again 

• Like 1

I found a hand pump at the flea market for $20 , there is a water well capped off under the bricks , so it can be connected and pump water , might do it one day , but no need for it now ---- the bricks were free , from a ringer around the oak tree that died in the yard , I need to drop that dead oak tree , I am scared of it , might paid a professional to drop it 

fVbIeW%LQBKX6s9H9NzxQg.jpg

• Like 3

Tried to dig the 140ft power and water pipes  trench with the tractor and that wasn't working  , so I started digging it by hand with a sharp shooter and a axe , good thing , it is coming out clean , there are so many little and big roots , that digging it with a machine would have destroyed the yard , broke my second double headed axe , so back to a single edge , the handles for them double headed axes are like $30 and the break easy   -----  day  3 of the dig , 5 ft at a time 

I am putting 3 pipes in the hole , one 3/4  grey electrical pvc pipe for 120 volts for a light and a electric outlet , one white  3/4 pvc for water and a third 1/2 pvc for speaker wires and a surveillance cam wire  , I would stick the speaker wires and cam wire in with the electrical wire , but I did that to the shed and there is a bunch of static ---- so the Question is ?????  , do you'll use the same glue and primer for grey / electrical pvc pipe and white/ plumbing pvc pipe ??? 

I see I need to pressure wash that well pump shed 

XnwnB78VT9iAXJojRuc2Lg.jpg

w9lc1i4vQoSSyeQKA17SKg.jpg

A9DixY8ZT8SwLyFfJ09eNA.jpg

• Like 1

This is what you planned to dig with that plow we talked about ? Good call.... Kinda thought roots might be a problem...I'm not following the static issue ? Are you talking  the color of glue so it will be alike colors as appossed to white and grey ? 

Edited by _Wilson_™

3 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

This is what you planned to dig with that plow we talked about ? Good call.... Kinda thought roots might be a problem...I'm not following the static issue ? Are you talking  the color of glue so it will be alike colors as appossed to white and grey ? 

Yea , need to be sure the glue and primer is correct for the color PVC pipe ,  couple of plumbers told me to use purple primer and clear glue for everything , going to get the pipe tomorrow ----  plan on  using a vacuum cleaner and a sponge to suck the pull string thru the  pipe 

• Like 1

Ah! Okay i gotcha .... Some of t he off white PVC plumbing under my home is indeed purple... I think purple dye is used just so you can tell where it needs primered ?? but of corse  they have wet application etc etc ... I read just a bit ha! Never new picking out the right PVC glue could have so many choices.... Lol! One video showed a transparent PVC glue and primer.... Might be a new type of glue, but i couldn't say, nether did the spokesman in the video.... 

Ha! I like the sponge.. Vac deal Purdy slick idea! If that doesn't work (should be perfect) you could use compressed air and two sponges one at the beginning then thread the string in the other sponge and stuff it in the tube then push the air nozzle through the 1st sponge hold in in place and add air and shoot that sucker through the tubing  ... I think  that would work.. If y of follow my odd instructions... Lol! 

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 1

@_Wilson_™ I got a story about purple primer , I got two friends that are brothers , that are both , lifetime  plumbers and both ride 4 wheelers with us , well the younger brother is  Marvin whois an interior plumber for the most part , a new construction residential kind of guy , his brother is a commercial plumber that owns equipment and he digs and installs the underground plumbing , so Marvin   did my plumbing on the construction of our house , he did such a nice , clean  job that when the building inspector came for a final inspection and went to and looked at the kitchen sink first , he  never went in another room of the house , then handed me the inspection passed  sticker  , Marvin is very neat --- a few years back my pump in the well house went out and it was Sunday morning  , so I bought a 1 hp pump from HomeDepot to get me going , and plan was to get the 2 hp pump rebuilt , swop it later and keep the 1 hp as a back up , plumb it in with some valves so if the pump went out , it was just flipping a few valve and back on line --- I was doing the job by myself , so Marvin's brother Lance came over that morning as  we were going  to ride around noon , but I was working on the pump , so he helps me and I had purple primer , I wish I had a pic of the job he did , it was pitiful , there was purple primer dripped and splashed over every piece of white pvc pipe in the pump house , I remember telling him , thanks for the help , but you are the messiest plumber I ever seen ,  he said " nobody is going to see that " , I was like " I will , every time I open that pump house door I will think about you " , over the years all his crappy work  has been cut out and replaced , if was free and he got me going so I should not be complaining 

• Like 1

Finally made it to the pump house. 140 ft of ditch.  That last 30 has been hard.  Lots of roots.  That sharp shooter shovel really helped digging. Had got that at a garage sale for $5.  Looked like it was used one time.  I think it is going to be too sloppy to lay pipe and wire today.  I bet that ditch might be full of water this morning 

927DE448-345C-4E72-B8B6-04E22C53044D.jpeg

D212AB5D-AECF-4D15-8736-8CD54F6F4EAF.jpeg

• Like 1

Getting closer. One of these days.  Nothing glued yet.  Started to tap the water into the pump shed.  

B6EBE6AC-D329-4C33-B26E-E979839AD513.jpeg

6F781808-D2AE-4565-A615-44535474AE3D.jpeg

• Like 1

Did you use a trencher or dug with a shovel? I'm thinking about running some waterlines. Wonder how much it cost to rent one of those small trenchers from Home Depot or wherever I can rent one if the price is right.

• Like 1

No, he. Had planned on using a 3 point hitch tractor mounted plow, but with the roots .... I agree with him, could have damage the lawn / yard something bad. Fish been busy, but i agree with your other post i would not have liked a messy sloppy looking finished project... The hardy furness dealer from years ago... Wasn't much for doing a good job.... I'm just thankful for the new authorized hardy wood burner dealer.... Plus the fact i know that dragon so good i can do my own repairs... I say if a person sets out to do a job, least do it right...... Especially when working on someone else's property! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, riverc said:

Did you use a trencher or dug with a shovel? I'm thinking about running some waterlines. Wonder how much it cost to rent one of those small trenchers from Home Depot or wherever I can rent one if the price is right.

Dug it by hand . I called Home Depot about renting a Ditch Witch , with the trailer and insurance , they did a 4 hour deal for a little over $200 and a 8 hour deal for a little more than $300  

The price of the PVC pipe is pretty high , 3/4 pvc water pipe was $4.57 per 10 ft length , the 3/4 grey schedule 40 is $10.57 per 10 ft  

• Like 1

On 1/26/2023 at 11:45 PM, Fishfiles said:

Dug it by hand . I called Home Depot about renting a Ditch Witch , with the trailer and insurance , they did a 4 hour deal for a little over $200 and a 8 hour deal for a little more than $300  

The price of the PVC pipe is pretty high , 3/4 pvc water pipe was $4.57 per 10 ft length , the 3/4 grey schedule 40 is $10.57 per 10 ft  

Lol will use the tiller & shovel.Not worth spending that much on a trencher for what I want to do. Pipe getting pricey too oh well everything is.

• Like 1

Got the pipe in , rin made it hard still got to run the wire thru and connect the water supply to the well then get another load of river sand --- hit  the biggest root along the entire way 3 feet from the end , really fought the rain to get the job done ----  working on a pump and sump setup for the future , I got this pump at the flea market for $25 , got a float switch for it for $45 ( not in the pic )  , tested it in the barrel that is going to be the sump , going to bury it along the wood line , then make a screen cover to keep the leaves out , run a 2 inch pipe to the street ditch 

fullsizeoutput_10e8.jpeg

ZDE0D+W6RPaJ8wW3gcQNVg.jpg

zq%FCp6FQdyEE7KNHtSfIA.jpg

HRrxZ14wQ+ysRJA4QHNWUg.jpg

kAKV3gKNTyWVl9HcAuBMOw.jpg

ffZMK1WLRVK+8Oilc2uUOA.jpg

• Like 1

I got firewood now ------   Got a friend of a friend to down that dead oak tree for me , I was a little scared, and rightfully so as the video will show , LOL --- he also thinks that tree was hit by lightning , there is a line going thru it from top to bottom 

We gave him $200 and he said he is going to come back with his big saw and cut the stump  down low if I take a look at his EZGO gas cart that doesn't have spark 

I  hope that video below  goes thru , the wife has a video of the first drop on her phone , but it is a 2 plus minute video that needs to be edited 

XOBAt2%OT525hVjWcJtz%A.jpg

B+upaaxHT3aeEPPS8VIfCg.jpg

• Like 2