Fishfiles

Landscape work

Been burning in long pieces to minimize cutting , this stuff is hard to cut , it looks crystalised ---- the black lines thru the tree I would guess was from  lightning ,  at the top of the tree there are 5 lines , as the limbs get closer to the ground it goes to 4, 3 , 2 , 1 

Had something bad happen yesterday with the saw , the chain jumped off , so I put it back on and it was hard to move in one spot , 4 of the drive teeth got bent , so I stuck the new chain on it turns  smooth now , but I think I will just burn up my chain if I try and cut this wood with it , better keave it alone till I get a carbide chain 

Oj5Z14zfRiqqLyvIMf70Uw.jpg

S5ktNVoXSNCzwso9fdIQVg.jpg

1h4AYkx9TuiWmZRLSLMcxQ.jpg

AsWtkHaNS9apZRXSqT1zrQ.jpg

fullsizeoutput_10ed.jpeg

6vbPH9NQTWusAxuqCNEy7A.jpg

AB4CK2yETtuhefbPeUKqnw.jpg

6wBxUm7HQlaOgcxUOiZ+kA.jpg

Thanks @retro for the carbide chain recommendation ,  cut all this wood today  and the chain is still ripping chunks -------- I find it cam kick back a bit hard and you need to be careful , I went for the 1/2 chisel style ----  even took a bite out the big stump 

4DZz53GwQeaB8bZnuqL65Q.jpg

Pz4rmzvvSyOWMg%NwZoHFw.jpg

haHGvb+8RVW5PzOst2RcoQ.jpg

• Like 2

Before and after , almost there , hardest part yet to come , dealing with the stump and trunk 

I can better  understand now , why a tree company wanted $1,800 to do the whole job ----  

B+upaaxHT3aeEPPS8VIfCg.jpg

vJx684NmTNK8nBJbKl6YjQ.jpg

On 2/27/2023 at 6:42 PM, Fishfiles said:

Starting my next project , a restroom outside 

Ec7KI6tdTLWjzPvvEcs0Qw.jpg

Outside restrooms are everywhere!  You're a man!

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Outside restrooms are everywhere!  You're a man!

That building to the right is the well house , it is 400 feet deep , my well guy says it would take hundreds of years for the pee to get down that deep  ------   no matter how many times I tell them guys don't pee by the well house ,   they always do , and like Skynyrd sings " on the weekend we drink enough to float a battleship around " 

We get a lot of very " Dirty Girls "  around here , the wife bums out when they use the inside facilities , LOL 

• Haha 1

yep...lotta work and I'm only up for so much of it at my age.  

We get trees back in the woods that will fall across my riding trails...big trees.  I usually just cut enough of them out to clear the trail and leave the rest laying.

we had a 100ft pine right next to the house..was healthy, but really worried me as it would have very little way it could fall in a storm that would not take out the house or the garage etc.

two men hugging it couldn't reach around..it was that big.  I can usually drop a tree where I want it to fall, but this was too risky..so I bought in a contractor that had the big truck with the extendable cutting arm..goes up, grabs part of the tree, cuts it, brings it down, etc...til there's nothing standing tall.

cut n clean up cost me just under $3k...ouch...but it wasn't one of those that I wanted to trust a guy climbiing on a rope kinda thing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bighanded said:

yep...lotta work and I'm only up for so much of it at my age.  

We get trees back in the woods that will fall across my riding trails...big trees.  I usually just cut enough of them out to clear the trail and leave the rest laying.

we had a 100ft pine right next to the house..was healthy, but really worried me as it would have very little way it could fall in a storm that would not take out the house or the garage etc.

two men hugging it couldn't reach around..it was that big.  I can usually drop a tree where I want it to fall, but this was too risky..so I bought in a contractor that had the big truck with the extendable cutting arm..goes up, grabs part of the tree, cuts it, brings it down, etc...til there's nothing standing tall.

cut n clean up cost me just under $3k...ouch...but it wasn't one of those that I wanted to trust a guy climbiing on a rope kinda thing.

WOW , almost $3K ---  I feel a little better now  monetarily , but not physically , I am hurtin' ,   LOL 

yep.. I've had help dropping big trees in the past...usually around $800   and if it's hardwoods, then I take the time to cut it up for my own use..but big pine...naw...nobody wants to burn it in their fireplace...so haul it off..and brother, that's the work part of things.

I'm reclaiming some young wooded area right now to make more sunlight for my garden and to expand the garden.

hardwoods are 20-30ft tall, buit only a few inches around...the pines are 3x the diameter.

I've dropped about 60 of the pines..easy enough to cut them..but then I have to cut them in a few sections and use the honda to drag em to the burn pile..it's that bending over stuff that gets old.

• Like 1

I had to  break out the rain gear for the fire I have going , we got bad weather moving in overnight , it started raining already  , I was  cleaning up along the fence and hammering down some used T-post in place  of rotted out wooden poles that are 60+ years old , was talking to my neighbor's wife yesterday that how I found out how old it is , the fence was barb-wire and electric at one time and there were cows and horses on this property ---- when I moved here , next door there were goats , horses , homing pigeons , chickens , ducks , etc  

NtegxEH5SxO6AgNhgqBb1w.jpg

• Like 2

Got some done on the outside outhouse 

The bricks and the stakes are temporary , going to either do some 4x4 in holes with concrete for foundations or maybe even concrete the whole slab --- that board against the house is anchored to the slab with lag bolts and lead anchors 

uTht1mU%QP+WWVhPGWQATg.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

The bricks and the stakes are temporary , going to either do some 4x4 in holes with concrete for foundations or maybe even concrete the whole slab --- that board against the house is anchored to the slab with lag bolts and lead anchors 

Looking Good.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

i don't think its a good idea to pour a concrete slab over those pipes ?, if you ever need to repair or replace any of them ?,,oh boy !..lol.

• Like 1

I like the idea—want one for our outdoors. If you’re on clay and get soil expansion, the point where the new deck attaches might work like a hinge. Then, the most likely break would occur at the hinge point. Leave yourself enough room to work if you get a break under there.

we would place concrete at least four feet deep to provide solid footers

Edited by Goober
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Goober said:

I like the idea—want one for our outdoors. 

This project is long over due for us.  Can’t wait. Can’t win with the wife.  She says it is a bad idea because she ain’t cleaning it.  But she constantly complains that there is dirt all over the tile floors. From people tracking in the house to go to the rest room.  

A big mistake we made when doing the house was . Should have had a outside rest room with a shower attached to a mud room entrance to the house.   I never knew what a mud room was till I started hanging out on forums with you guys from  up north 

Plan to put hangers on the pipes in case of ground subsidence one way or the other.  I have some free to me stainless hanger straps.   The ground is extremely hard here.  Was clay/sand to start with and over 120 loads of red clay/sand fill was brought in.  Did not require pilings under the slab like in New Orleans. This is a stress cable slab.  Or what ever the correct terminology is  ^^^^^^.

I would feel ok with a slab.  But it is so much cheaper and easier to just do a 3/4 plywood deck with maybe some stick tile. Going to put plastic under the floor to stop condensation 

Dug 6 - 24 inch deep holes , bolted 24 inch pieces of 4x4 Yellow Wood with 3/8 galvanised bolts , concreted each 4x4 in with a 60 pound bag , finished all that and moved in a few loads of sand and graded it all out , looks good and level , but did not take a pic , next move floor joices 

fullsizeoutput_10fb.jpeg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 56Sierra said:

Whatcha gonna do with that log?  Carve a toilet?

Did not think of that , good idea !!! >>> You sir ,  are an " A$$'seat " to the site !!!! >>>  And I do sincerely mean that , from the bottom my  bottom !!!  >>>  Instead of toilet paper , I can install a sand paper dispenser  , to sand the seat before you sit 

I threw it in the woods , could be some good firewood for someone , but not me , too  much work there , I tried a copy of slices and it did not chew well , kind of tough >> speaking of tough ,  if times get tough and they take away my gas stove , I know where it is  at , in the meantime it is seasoning 

• Like 1

Looking  for recommendations , I have heard so many different things about this next step ---

Going to put one piece vinyl on the floor , going to glue it down before the wall plate gets screwed down 

Been told to prime all sides and edges of the floor with oil based primer before screwing the wood down ---- others say don't do anything ---  others say do just the bottom ( facing down side ) and don't do the edges, so the wood can breath and not hold water ---- some say do both sides but not the edges 

I think it is going to out last me anyways , just hate to have someone in the future say " that was a Stupid MF that built this " 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

just hate to have someone in the future say " that was a Stupid MF that built this " 

You could always write in big letters with indelible ink, “Don’t squawk about my work, you wasn’t here to help!”

Edited by Goober
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Goober said:

You could always write in big letters with indelible ink, “Don’t squawk about my work, you wasn’t here to help!”

I was talking with a buddy and I was saying I need a custom sign , " if you wobbling  , pee outside " , lol