Frank

2001 Honda rubicon 500

Hi everyone 

im haven issues with my 2001 Honda rubicon 500 will only go into 1 gear Then when I start driving it starts blinking fast where the  gear position shows I’ve replace the angle sensor preloaded it  I’ve checked all the wires Even tried a different ECM  I went through all the reset procedures a few times just to make sure I’m doing it right still nothing.  I took the shift motor off a couple times to check if it’s stuck it’s stuck slightly to one side I freed it up turned it roughly to half way point and re did the procedure same think took back off slightly stuck again  and I’m getting for five and six 

please help 

Edited by Frank

Welcome aboard. 

So what error code are you getting on the blinking (count the blinks on the meter when it starts flashing, should be short and long flashes)

The factory service manual is available free in PDF format in the toolbar at the top of the page.   It has troubleshooting for each error code listed in it, but report back with your code and we'll see if we can help you.

I forget to mention When I put it in D1 or in 1st then start it up it will stay till drive abit then just starts to flash  and spits and sputters and when I start it in Neutral it just flashes 

7 minutes ago, Frank said:

For some reason I it won’t let me open the manual for the 2001 too 2002 rubicon 

Can't see your videos, and when I tried to open the 01-03 it made me download it (said too large to open).

But there are few differences in the engine etc from the early Rubicons to the later ones.  Codes 5 and 6 are both related to the Angle Sensor. 

See if you can open the 05-up Rubicon manual, look under the Hondamatic section, and you'll find the error code list 2-3 pages into the Hondamatic section.  That will tell you how to check your angle sensor, wiring etc.

Did you use OEM parts when you replaced the angle sensor or is it Amazon/Ebay junk from chyna? 

Rubicons are very finicky when it comes to the electrical stuff on them, and aftermarket stuff rarely works.

That’s the same thing that it says when I try to open the manual and I tested the  old one was reading good and yes the old one was from Amazon  and I did the test on the wiring checked out ok on less I missed a step or something 

1 hour ago, Frank said:

That’s the same thing that it says when I try to open the manual and I tested the  old one was reading good and yes the old one was from Amazon  and I did the test on the wiring checked out ok on less I missed a step or something 

If you have anything in your system (Angle Sensor, shift motor, etc) that is not genuine Honda, replace it with an OEM part.  If you don't want to buy new there are places like powersportsnation.com that sell used OEM parts and stand behind what they sell.  In my experience, the price difference usually isn't enough savings for me to not just buy new.

Also, make sure your battery is good and that it is fully charged.  The electronics on the newer machines have to have a good strong battery to function properly.

Not sure what's going on with your videos.  I can hit play and hear background noise, but no picture.

I put the old angle sensor back on because it seem like it was good or is there a specific way of testing them maybe I’m not testing the angle sensor right 

I ordered a new OEM angle sensor but just in case I want to know how to test it

and as far as the shift motor goes I’m not sure if they put on a new aftermarket one or Honda

5 minutes ago, Frank said:

I ordered a new OEM angle sensor but just in case I want to know how to test it

and as far as the shift motor goes I’m not sure if they put on a new aftermarket one or Honda

It should say Mitsuba on it if it's OEM.  Do you have a multimeter?

https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda/31300-HN2-003?ref=61525500d30a5a9014e17fa80fb741677e9a7c0b

(note I link to partzilla because their webpage layout is superior to other places.  They are NOT the best place to order OEM parts)

Shift motor is the same 01-14, so I'd try to pick up a used OEM unit if yours appears to be aftermarket.

@Melatv is the electrical whiz here.  He might be able to help you more than I can.  The factory service manual shows you testing of the angle sensor and shift motor, but sometimes knowing how do the actual process isn't listed out or, in my case, needs to be dumbed down a bit.

hey i tryed all that still no luck the shift motor keeps jaming to the left side when you look at  it from the front of the bike thats with the new angle sensor and if i put the old one back on it slightly jams to the right side 

doe the angle sensor have to stay right at 0.8ohm?    on the one side and 1.2ohm on the other side  if its off just a slight bit will that cause it to do this ? the new sensor is reading a bit off too 

11 hours ago, Frank said:

hey i tryed all that still no luck the shift motor keeps jaming to the left side when you look at  it from the front of the bike thats with the new angle sensor and if i put the old one back on it slightly jams to the right side 

doe the angle sensor have to stay right at 0.8ohm?    on the one side and 1.2ohm on the other side  if its off just a slight bit will that cause it to do this ? the new sensor is reading a bit off too 

if the shift motor is jamming ?, this tells me you have internal issues with the transfer gears under the cover right there at the shift shaft.

On 11/20/2021 at 11:12 AM, shadetree said:

if the shift motor is jamming ?, this tells me you have internal issues with the transfer gears under the cover right there at the shift shaft.

Yeah it jams slightly when it goes all the way to one side seems almost as if the motor keeps trying to force it because something isn’t reading right 

this might be a dumb question but if the angle sensor isn’t reading right would it do that ? And how hard is it to get to the transfer gear can I get to it by just opening the front of the motor or what is all involved 

and thank you guys so much for trying to help me I’m new to these Hondas so I really appreciate it