Frank

2001 Honda rubicon 500

Is the gear inside the engine cases - the one the shift motor turns - getting jammed? If so, the failure is likely an internal Hondamatic issue.

2 hours ago, Frank said:

Yeah it jams slightly when it goes all the way to one side seems almost as if the motor keeps trying to force it because something isn’t reading right 

this might be a dumb question but if the angle sensor isn’t reading right would it do that ? And how hard is it to get to the transfer gear can I get to it by just opening the front of the motor or what is all involved 

and thank you guys so much for trying to help me I’m new to these Hondas so I really appreciate it 

the very front engine cover, which is the clutch cover DOES NOT need to be removed. the transfer gears to the electric shift motor is right next to the shift motor, driver front side, a few bolts, and the cover comes off. please read and understand the service manual b4 you go doing something you are not able to do !.

3 hours ago, shadetree said:

the very front engine cover, which is the clutch cover DOES NOT need to be removed. the transfer gears to the electric shift motor is right next to the shift motor, driver front side, a few bolts, and the cover comes off. please read and understand the service manual b4 you go doing something you are not able to do !.

I don’t see the option on this one to only remove a small cover it’s one big cover I’ll check a little bit more in the manual when I get back home but it doesn’t look like I can only remove one small cover 

5 hours ago, Frank said:

I don’t see the option on this one to only remove a small cover it’s one big cover I’ll check a little bit more in the manual when I get back home but it doesn’t look like I can only remove one small cover 

i just looked yers up, that model is different than the es models, most likely because its an automatic.