Holistic

Question about buying a used non-running 2005 rancher

So, the aunts gave me a 2005 rancher to work on and come to find out it will not start at all. Not even a hint of starting. (it does crank) I've done all the basics like checking for spark, checking timing, checking the coil and i even went as far as putting a brand new carburetor on it. i asked them what they wanted me todo with it (sell it and give them cash or tear into it and see what happend) and they have yet to get back with me. So, i got to thinking about offering to buy it off of them. This is where my question begins. What price would you guys buy it for. (i know pictures would make this much easier, and i will do my best to get them tomorrow) So, let me list the issues that stood out to me on day 1.

Both the front CV-Axle boots are torn

When i got it, it did not come with an air filter on it (just the element that the foam slides on)

The O-Ring that seals the oil pump port on the valve cover was severely torn (which leads me to believe that it wasn't getting good lubrication to the valves)

The motor is really muddy (they told me they only used it for farm use and changed the oil yearly)

Upon checking the oil its black. (not "we change it every year" black either)

95% of the seat cover is completely gone (only the foam is revealed)

it didn't come with the airbox lid

and the front right and rear wheels don't hold air.

I was thinking roughly 550-600 for the entire bike. given its condition. Im not trying to rip them off, i want to buy it for a reasonable price if their okay with it.

20211014_171725.jpg

20211014_171908.jpg

20211014_171952.jpg

Welcome to the forum , different locations bring different prices for ATVs , around here , Gulf Coast area , that sound like a $300 - $500 ATV , maybe some pics will make me feel different , you didn't mention if it is an ES , if that's the  case I would consider it a part donor 

5 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Welcome to the forum , different locations bring different prices for ATVs , around here , Gulf Coast area , that sound like a $300 - $500 ATV , maybe some pics will make me feel different , you didn't mention if it is an ES , if that's the  case I would consider it a part donor 

oh yea, my bad! it's the S model. they left it in their barn for over a year, and as far as im concerned it hasn't run in over a year and a half. We live in middle TN and most of the stuff you see around here is 2-3k. With all the work it'll need done i think 550-600 is a good price range. i'll be sure to post more pictures today! i appreciate it. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

oh yea, my bad! it's the S model. they left it in their barn for over a year, and as far as im concerned it hasn't run in over a year and a half. We live in middle TN and most of the stuff you see around here is 2-3k. With all the work it'll need done i think 550-600 is a good price range. i'll be sure to post more pictures today! i appreciate it. OH. i guess i could mention the symptoms. It'll crank over fine (when you tap the starter with a deadblow hammer) starter is basically toast. i've confirmed the solenoid is good. It'll crank over all day, then BOOM! it backfires like a shotgun went off. It doesn't even try to start. Just cranks.. cranks.. and BOOM! So, that's what has me going about the timing being off. (maybe it jumped a tooth?) who knows. My uncle seems very skeptical as if "there's no way thats the problem it ran great before" I was told that it ran great, then one day they went to start it, it ran for 3 seconds, then backfired and never started again. when i got it the "LIGHTS" fuse was blown. So, i put the spare in and it cranked. (they told me they took it to honda and was quoted 500$ to fix the starter??!?) im as confused as ever. Not to mention they put a BRAND new plug in it. which sucks..

Being a heavy equipment mechanic by trade , I hear it a  lot ,  the " it can't be much wrong with it cause it ran fine this morning , yesterday or before lunch " , well it has got to break sometimes right  ---- being you say it backfires , makes me think it has spark and fuel , so it could be something like the timing chain, valve troubles  , bent connecting rod , but being a water rider I seen something as simple as  water in the fuel can make it backfire ---- sounds like they are trying to get the most out of it , which about everyone would do 

" S "  is a good thing , the value went in in my book , LOL  

4 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Being a heavy equipment mechanic by trade , I hear it a  lot ,  the " it can't be much wrong with it cause it ran fine this morning , yesterday or before lunch " , well it has got to break sometimes right  ---- being you say it backfires , makes me think it has spark and fuel , so it could be something like the timing chain, valve troubles  , bent connecting rod , but being a water rider I seen something as simple as  water in the fuel can make it backfire ---- sounds like they are trying to get the most out of it , which about everyone would do 

" S "  is a good thing , the value went in in my book , LOL  

Oh yea, she's got bright spark. Don't ask me how i know! i just noticed a few days ago that the oil cooler is 75% clogged up with dirt/mud/debris. So, that realllly didn't help things much. These ranchers are good machines, but like anything with moving part's it's not bullet proof. I was also told the motor was rebuilt about 10 years ago? But, it was obviously not by a honda dealer, as with all the... *sigh* RTV around it. this erks me to no end! So, there's no telling what the last person before them did too it aswell. It makes me upset to see people half-! a job! pardon my french! 20211116_141915.jpg20211116_141045.jpg20211116_141048.jpg

Sounds like you got shocked with that good spark , eh !!! 

RTV sealant is frowned upon heavily by a few members here  

Pull that oil filter cover off and see what's going on in there --------  take a compression test -------- check the timing  ----    see what's in the fuel tank and carb bowl 

out of time, bent rod is very common on these ranchers. not enough compression., valves bent or out of adjustment ?. with going by the year model ?, i'd say its worth no more than 500 all day long.

5 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Sounds like you got shocked with that good spark , eh !!! 

RTV sealant is frowned upon heavily by a few members here  

Pull that oil filter cover off and see what's going on in there --------  take a compression test -------- check the timing  ----    see what's in the fuel tank and carb bowl 

my money say's he had his hands on the spark plug when he cranked it !..rofl.

• Like 1

If you’re handy with a wrench pick it up. 

I got an 05 ES with no top end (as in top end was missing!) for $300 pre covid crazy prices. Rest of the machine was in great shape.

I put a rebuilt crank ($225ish), new timing chain and seals, and bought a used cylinder, had it bored to a new oversized Shindy piston. Oh. and I converted it to Footshift while I had it apart.  

I added a selectable 400AT Rancher front diff to give it 2wd/4wd, and disc brakes off of an 07-13 420 Rancher.!

It’s a great little machine now for the middle kid, is simple to work on, and had the creature comforts of the newer machines. 

If the rest of the machine is in good shape the engine isn’t a huge deal. 

Any pics?

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

If you’re handy with a wrench pick it up. 

I got an 05 ES with no top end (as in top end was missing!) for $300 pre covid crazy prices. Rest of the machine was in great shape.

I put a rebuilt crank ($225ish), new timing chain and seals, and bought a used cylinder, had it bored to a new oversized Shindy piston. Oh. and I converted it to Footshift while I had it apart.  

I added a selectable 400AT Rancher front diff to give it 2wd/4wd, and disc brakes off of an 07-13 420 Rancher.!

It’s a great little machine now for the middle kid, is simple to work on, and had the creature comforts of the newer machines. 

If the rest of the machine is in good shape the engine isn’t a huge deal. 

Any pics?

Yes sir! hold on one second, let me go get some real quick. i had to roll it into the shop due to rain last night! give me a solid 5 minutes!

• Like 1

That gives me a little better idea.

I'd say 500ish would be fair.  You won't get hurt there parting it out, so that's more or less what I always consider when buying a beater/fixer upper.

You might get by just replacing the boots on the CV's if the cage/balls aren't shot.  Worst case you buy used CV's from Powersportsnation for $30ish each.

Engine will run you about $500 for a full rebuild if you do the work yourself.  That's crank, seals, timing chain, bore/ new piston.

If the seat foam isn't trashed you can recover if you have a staple gun.  Covers are about $20-25 from Kents Kovers on ebay, and they come with instructions.  Very easy to install.  If the foam is shot a new seat will run you $100.

Air box lid will run you $11 from Rocky Mountain ATV

• Like 2

Awsome! Thanks so much. when he asked me what they might go for, i told him 550 to 700 depending on the condition. IE this one is on the lower end. I'll offer him 550 for it when i get the cash and see what happends from there, Obviously i can't tear into it now due to me not owning it. They don't seem to care much about it as they've not gotten back to me and have not said anything about what they want me todo with it. Either get it outta my way or let me buy it and fix it! Thanks so much man!

Edited by Holistic
  • Like 1

I would try and keep it at or under $500–wouldnt want to cause problems with the fam, but you could end up putting another $2K in it.

Doesn't look too bad , I don't think it is worth any more than $500 , plastics are decent , someone been working on it

they stuck a new carb on it , might be  China --- 

crazy how they bent the throttle cable around what looks like a rear view mirror mount 

personally I would stick two new axles in it , instead of doing a boot job  

6 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Doesn't look too bad , I don't think it is worth any more than $500 , plastics are decent , someone been working on it

crazy how they bent the throttle cable around what looks like a rear view mirror mount 

rofl, i seen that shiny new carb as well..china i bet too !..lol.

• Like 1

OP, depending on how much you want to restore, spec yourself ?, it can cost you nothing at first, then go all the way to 2k in a heartbeat !. never, EVER..think you will restore an atv cheap...wont happen !.  ( all this is if you are like me, and you stay oem, replace with new parts from honda ? ), otherwise, you tossing the dice on used parts. if cash is a problem?, then yeah..i can see you going used parts. which ever way you go ?, you are deff in great hands here for advice !.

53 minutes ago, shadetree said:

OP, depending on how much you want to restore, spec yourself ?, it can cost you nothing at first, then go all the way to 2k in a heartbeat !. never, EVER..think you will restore an atv cheap...wont happen !.  ( all this is if you are like me, and you stay oem, replace with new parts from honda ? ), otherwise, you tossing the dice on used parts. if cash is a problem?, then yeah..i can see you going used parts. which ever way you go ?, you are deff in great hands here for advice !.

I appreciate the very helpful advice! i have a foreman 450 that is currently awaiting a head, so this project will be a slow one at best. anyway... i asked my brother if he'd be interested in having a quad, surprisingly he said no... so im not looking to have this thing done in 3 weeks or anything. Just a slow and steady build. get the motor running first then proceed with the front axles. Also, i am the one who put the cheap-o chinese carb on it. i honestly hate these things and i REALLY didn't want to get it. anytime i can go OEM i will. Like i said, this is in most part due to the aunts not wanting to throw much money into it because they believe it "just needs new gas" it's mainly my uncle though! Maybe you guys can show me how to rebuild the oem carb. I'm not sure why. it's always something i've struggled with. 

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

Uhh, i thought that was something i did LOL. i somehow didn't even notice that until i went back and looked at the pics.. somehow... that's crazy! those are mounts for i believe gun holders. (as the other side has one aswell. (not like they couldn't put the holder on the front rack or anything)

16 minutes ago, Holistic said:

I appreciate the very helpful advice! i have a foreman 450 that is currently awaiting a head, so this project will be a slow one at best. anyway... i asked my brother if he'd be interested in having a quad, surprisingly he said no... so im not looking to have this thing done in 3 weeks or anything. Just a slow and steady build. get the motor running first then proceed with the front axles. Also, i am the one who put the cheap-o chinese carb on it. i honestly hate these things and i REALLY didn't want to get it. anytime i can go OEM i will. Like i said, this is in most part due to the aunts not wanting to throw much money into it because they believe it "just needs new gas" it's mainly my uncle though! Maybe you guys can show me how to rebuild the oem carb. I'm not sure why. it's always something i've struggled with. 

rebuilding a carb is very easy.

Welcome to the forum!

I would pay 500 for a machine like that all day long, everything can be fixed up and those are easy to work on

You can save a lot by getting good used parts on ebay

I bet you can get most everything repaired for 200-300 or so

I'll be watching to see how it comes along

• Like 1

Just now, AKATV said:

Welcome to the forum!

I would pay 500 for a machine like that all day long, everything can be fixed up and those are easy to work on

You can save a lot by getting good used parts on ebay

I bet you can get most everything repaired for 200-300 or so

I'll be watching to see how it comes along

Yes sir! This all depends on if i buy it from them, it's still up in the air as to what they want todo with it. If they come get it, thats it for the project. But, i'll do what i can to get it. I'd love to have 2 quads laying around. But, im not going to let them take 800 dollars from me either!