WonderMonkey

PSA - Tire Pressure

I knew this and did it way back when I used to ride all the time.  I had to be reminded of it just this weekend.

This weekend while hunting, a hunting buddy said "How's your tire pressure?"  I did not know so I checked it.  The tires LOOKED fine, but no pressure registered on the pressure gauge.  Hmm.  I filled the tires and I could certainly feel the difference.  I also used my foot to push on the tire before and after to give me a sense of what that feels like, so I can do quick checks as needed.  So .... rookies and even not-rookies that need a reminder, check your air pressure here and there and don't rely on a quick visual.  Those tires leak pressure through use and through sitting there.

Done.  There is today's PSA.

• Like 5

I have found that cheap pressure gauges are usually incorrect by several pounds. The low pressure gauge that came with my 420 is very accurate. Frankly a half pound makes a noticable difference so precision psi readings are very important to me. 3 psi to 3.5 psi is my range......3 psi for very rough terrain 3.5 for average terrain. Perhaps a few psi higher for acceleration and speed once a year.

• Like 2

On 11/18/2021 at 11:57 AM, WonderMonkey said:

I knew this and did it way back when I used to ride all the time.  I had to be reminded of it just this weekend.

This weekend while hunting, a hunting buddy said "How's your tire pressure?"  I did not know so I checked it.  The tires LOOKED fine, but no pressure registered on the pressure gauge.  Hmm.  I filled the tires and I could certainly feel the difference.  I also used my foot to push on the tire before and after to give me a sense of what that feels like, so I can do quick checks as needed.  So .... rookies and even not-rookies that need a reminder, check your air pressure here and there and don't rely on a quick visual.  Those tires leak pressure through use and through sitting there.

Done.  There is today's PSA.

and did you use a low pressure tire gauge when you took the reading ?. most atv honda tire pressure run around 3 psi.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, shadetree said:

and did you use a low pressure tire gauge when you took the reading ?. most atv honda tire pressure run around 3 psi.

Factory for mine is 4.2 (or so, I forget).  I used a gauge that went in .5 lbs increment.  It was good enough for that moment.

2 hours ago, Misterclean said:

I have found that cheap pressure gauges are usually incorrect by several pounds. The low pressure gauge that came with my 420 is very accurate. Frankly a half pound makes a noticable difference so precision psi readings are very important to me. 3 psi to 3.5 psi is my range......3 psi for very rough terrain 3.5 for average terrain. Perhaps a few psi higher for acceleration and speed once a year.

I would agree, cheap ones are off by too wide of a margin.  I used my buddies electronic one.  I have a normal one in my trail kit, but I used his.

Wonder Monkey, I wouldn't trust that one because the range is too wide. Go to a motorcycle shop and get a Motion Pro brand or another that is quality. I.prefer the ones that come stock with the TRX420. Small and very accurate. Probably around 10 bucks?

Edited by Misterclean
  • Like 2

yep.. I've got a small air pump (bout the size of 2 deck of cards).  lift the seat, cable up to the battery and pump.

I know a lot of guys use the little CO2 cartridges, which is great for a flat fix.but a waste just to maintained the slow leakers.

but the gauge on that little pump has no ability to register the low pressure, so it's more about stepping on the tire.

I need to order a nice low pressure gauge.

I do likely run more air than I should in the front tires, I just like them to turn well and I'm not on any harsh terrain.

• Like 1