travas

how to get nut off? or clean engne as is?

Ive been tearing down a 185atc 3 wheeler motor. Came out of a barn and had stuff in the intake. had lots of debris and carbon on the cylinder head. the valves were rusty and crumbling but other than that the engine is in good condition. Dont have a wiring harness or cdi box or any of the electrical stuff that requires it to run other than the stator and the thing under the pullstart cover. have a bolt on the crankshaft that allows the clutch to come off. not sure if it has reverse threads, a special locking mecanism or what. tried getinng it off with an heavy duty impact driver going counter clockwise. tried clock wise and nothing. I'm stumped. Id loom at a manual but haven't found a pdf yet and Ill probably buy one. I also would like to know if the engine can be washed in its current state. If it can what cleaning machine might be used. 

image2 (4).JPG

image1 (5).JPG

I haven't ever dug into an ATC engine, but I know on the older 300's and 350's the centrifugal clutch nut was reverse thread.

• Like 1

There is always another way to skin a cat ^^^^^ , I don't know this kitty , maybe someone will and chime in 

• Like 1

Hi travas , welcome to the forums 

I have had a few TRX200SXs , also had the  ATC200 brand new of the showroom floor , think was 1982 , had a lot of fun with that one  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, travas said:

I got the nut off finally. Now im not sure where to get this tool or if I can make one or use something else. 

Screenshot 2021-11-20 12.54.48 AM.png

don't need a spec tool !. remove the 4 bolts that hold the lifter, under it is the clutch basket nut, its right hand threads, counter clock wise to remove. 

• Like 2

Luckily I got it off. Didnt even need to buy any thing. Probably will need to buy it to get on but thats not importent now. Heres an easy way to get a clutch basket nut off! 

•  

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, travas said:

Luckily I got it off. Didnt even need to buy any thing. Probably will need to buy it to get on but thats not importent now. Heres an easy way to get a clutch basket nut off! 

•  

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

re-use the nut. in the future ?, use a drift punch, chisel , hammer on the tangs, work it off counter clockwise, easy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, travas said:

•  

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Redneck ingenuity there. Impressive 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Redneck ingenuity there. Impressive 

thanks. it took me a while to come up with this multi purpose tool