Andy bauska

Back to the 424.I thought about taking the traxlok front diff out of a 450, and fitting it into the 300. Does anyone know if the ratio is the same?

450S is the second best utility ATV Honda made , don't get me wrong , but it don't come close to the 300 , the symmetry of the frame is screwed up on a 450  , one a-arm is longer than the other , hard to keep it on it's feet in the woods , top heavy / unstable is the best word for it -------    personally I don't like the electric shift " FM " 450 either , if the electrical wiring , sensors or actuator goes out , it defaults to 2wd , that's a bad thing if your in the woods and need 4wd to get home , the full time 4wd is a better choice for dependability , the 424 turns the FM  into part time , but that's hard to get now ---- hate to hate but the ES is garbage , sounds like you know that already ,  LOL 

I would only buy an es if it was cheap. Even then, I would sell it, an buy an s if I really wanted a 450. I think I'll stick to the 300 for now.

4 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

The 450 ES and S have different transmissions in them, so I’d stick to getting an S if you’re looking for a 450

umm, i hate to be that guy ?..but both the 450es and the 450fm/s have the same transmission. what is different is the shifting shafts, one uses a motor and transfer gears to change gears, while the fm/s models use a shifting shaft that is different, and uses a foot operated lever to change gears. both have the same transmission in them. also, the electronics are different. unless they changed them in the yrs in production that i am not aware of ?, both engines are almost the same over all.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, shadetree said:

umm, i hate to be that guy ?..but both the 450es and the 450fm/s have the same transmission. what is different is the shifting shafts, one uses a motor and transfer gears to change gears, while the fm/s models use a shifting shaft that is different, and uses a foot operated lever to change gears. both have the same transmission in them. also, the electronics are different. unless they changed them in the yrs in production that i am not aware of ?, both engines are almost the same over all.

You might want to check your schematics. The transmission gears are different in the 450 ES than they are in the 450 S. 

350 rancher’s, 420s, and 500s there is no difference, but in the 450s there is 

Part numbers are different. My guess is there are fewer dogs on the gears to allow for easier shifting with the ES. Weaker design

21 hours ago, Andy bauska said:

Back to the 424.I thought about taking the traxlok front diff out of a 450, and fitting it into the 300. Does anyone know if the ratio is the same?

Negative.

None of the newer machines have a gear ratio that will work with a 300

Hello Everyone,, I wanted to introduce myself and my new to me 1997 Honda Foreman 400. Was sold to me as a 2005, but I still enjoy it very much regardless of model year, hope everyone has a nice Holiday!

593E0801-3685-403C-80DE-679814BBE4C3.jpeg

DA6F7427-EF0F-42B4-BCD6-489BF7B9F3F8.jpeg

5AE4CD80-6CC2-486A-AEF2-5C7675DE8CAB.jpeg

D639A13F-D9DC-4F72-BCED-A2D15E7E64DE.jpeg

• Like 2

Thank you! I appreciate that. Are the 1997 models a good year? My first utility style fourwheeler, 

• Like 1

Looking good  Adam -------------   the 400 is very much the same as the 450 , some parts will interchange 

• Like 1

Good morning, I am still shopping for a 424, I don't know how to pm you, I don't have a cell phone number, so I don't do the whole texting thing LOL😂. I can do email if that works for you, or I do have Facebook messenger. Thank you and Have a Merry Christmas.

On 11/29/2021 at 9:25 AM, Adam97 said:

Thank you! I appreciate that. Are the 1997 models a good year? My first utility style fourwheeler, 

These are very good wheelers; very capable. full time 4WD, manual speedo. Foot shift I don’t recall any of these being ES. The only criticism I have is they don’t have a lot of ground clearance so you have to watch going over hilltops as they can drag.

get the ecopy manual or better yet a printed copy. Then do all the maintenance items.

use the oem parts finder at Rocky Mountain atv and Partzilla to buy only OEM parts 

i have one at work—very dependable 

Edited by Goober