travas

87 fourtrax 250 only has 4th gear

Hello everyone, I my dad's fourtrax has had some issues lately. My sister was riding it a few days ago and said that it was jumping out of gear. I didn't touch it until a few hours after she done riding it and had to move it out of my shop so I could work on something. I tried backing it out and it didn't move, only revved up. I put it in first, second, third and finally it moved in fourth. The engine has always has some sort of knocking coming from the engine. I know it wasn't rod knock or something else. It hasn't gotten louder just thought it may have something to do with it. Haven't taken it apart yet. Don't what could be causing all the gears to be gone and the shifter to feel loose unless something broke inside. Thanks!

More than likely something is broken inside given the symptoms. 

Weird that it will only pull in 4th gear though.  I can't see ALL of those gears going out, but with a problem like that you're going to have to tear into it.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Goober said:

Try to Adjust clutch 

what kind engine oil is in it?

Ill try to adjust clutch but as jeepwm69 said probably have to tear into it. 

I don't even know what oil it takes. I think we've thrown oil it and hope for the best. I think I put 10w30 in it last week. cant remember any thing else. 

1 hour ago, travas said:

Ill try to adjust clutch but as jeepwm69 said probably have to tear into it. 

I don't even know what oil it takes. I think we've thrown oil it and hope for the best. I think I put 10w30 in it last week. cant remember any thing else. 

If you're not using wet clutch compatible oil (JASO MA) then your clutches will slip and be ruined.

• Like 1

Wild Guess Since the shifter is loose , I would guess the problem could be #20 is bent or jumped out of place from it having been run out of adjustment 

• Like 1