1942farmall

New to the group

Hi guys, 

In reading some of the posts it appears many hate the ES bikes. 

Mine has been pretty bulletproof. 

I keep it maintained, cleaned and garage when parked,  don't use it as a submarine but run the ! out of it in Idaho and Wyoming. 

She ain't fast but she always starts and gets me back. 

I bought it new in 04.

20201024_124736.jpg

20210130_164416.jpg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, 1942farmall said:

Hi guys, 

In reading some of the posts it appears many hate the ES bikes. 

Mine has been pretty bulletproof. 

I keep it maintained, cleaned and garage when parked,  don't use it as a submarine but run the ! out of it in Idaho and Wyoming. 

She ain't fast but she always starts and gets me back. 

I bought it new in 04.

LOL , welcome , lots of ES'ers to hang with here , your one of the lucky ones , most find this site  broke down , eh -----------  not so much that  I hate the ES or the owners of them , I hate how many times ES has ruin  rides for me , by breaking down ,  having to be towed home  and messing up the day --------  you getting kind of cocky , better knock on wood >>> give it time , your day will come , ! 

• Like 1

welcome. you say you have read alot on here of some hating on es ?, well, in time, you will find out just how bad they really are !..lol. been working on atv's for 30 yrs, i've seen my share of es problems...just as you will !, bank on it.

• Like 1

Welcome 1942, I too have an ES. mine is a 99. 450 no trouble at all, we have the same riding style...it will last many years

• Like 1

Welcome aboard. 

The ES's are funny.  Wife's uncle has a 450ES that has been ridden hard and put up wet for 20 years (farmer) and his ES has never missed a lick.

I fought the ES on my kid's 350 Rancher for a bit and said forget it and converted it to footshift.

If you have a good one, they're great!  If not, you can always convert to footshift!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Welcome aboard. 

The ES's are funny.  Wife's uncle has a 450ES that has been ridden hard and put up wet for 20 years (farmer) and his ES has never missed a lick.

I fought the ES on my kid's 350 Rancher for a bit and said forget it and converted it to footshift.

If you have a good one, they're great!  If not, you can always convert to footshift!

The only issue I've ever had was recently. 

It would randomly have downshift issues. I took it in to the dealer. 

The clutch had never been adjusted so they did that and changed the angle sensor just in case. 

Shifts perfect again. 

They also adjusted the valves that had never been touched since I bought it new in 04.

2 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

LOL , welcome , lots of ES'ers to hang with here , your one of the lucky ones , most find this site  broke down , eh -----------  not so much that  I hate the ES or the owners of them , I hate how many times ES has ruin  rides for me , by breaking down ,  having to be towed home  and messing up the day --------  you getting kind of cocky , better knock on wood >>> give it time , your day will come , ! 

• Like 4

Welcome to the forum!

I have also been working on wheelers for 25+ years 

There are LOT of the ES models up here, makes it easier to shift in deep snow with big ol snowboots on ( I'm in Alaska)

They are also good for disabled riders ( no foot or unable to use foot to shift) who want to get out and about and enjoy the outdoors

A lot of folks have heated grips with the gauntlets/muffs over the bars so it keeps hands warm and makes for easy button shifting

The ES systems are not complicated and I think people get frustrated and give up working on them

I have not ever seen one that could not be fairly easily fixed just as easy as any other machine, its just a matter of knowing the system and how to troubleshoot it

I own two ES Foreman 450 and have ridden for thousands of miles on them I would not hesitate to go 20-30 miles back in woods, even in negative Winter temps-just have to be prepared

Make sure to have a GOOD battery and get rid of that old hardened grease in the shift motor reduction gears, I use a lithium/moly and has shifted well to -25F

I love the older Foreman and Rancher platforms, solidly built and just a good reliable machine when maintained, they are the machine of choice up here for reliability and durability

With that being said everyone has their favorites or preferred rides and like to to poke fun at other types and models- for instance some people like Polaris and I think they make a great bonfire .....with a full tank

Welcome, enjoy your ES and hope to see you around!

Happy Holidays to all !

AKATV

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1942farmall , I like all the mods you got going on 

image.png

I like mods myself , I got two 450 foot shift , a 2000 an a 2002 :

fullsizeoutput_9a1.jpeg

IMG_8284.JPG

Hey at least you have a Honda 😁 Great guys here,  they let me hang around and I don't even own one anymore. Welcome.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Welcome 1942, yep another happy Foreman 450ES owner here.  And trust me you will get heartache from some around here about your choice of Honda, just ask me....lol  There are a few things you should do to keep them shifting well and as said prior take the shift motor off and replace the junk grease Honda packed in there, what little they did.  Your shift motor will love you having a proper amount of grease to help things work better.  I guess we are a few of the lucky ones or we take care of our machines.....

• Like 1

On 11/30/2021 at 12:13 PM, 1942farmall said:

The only issue I've ever had was recently. 

It would randomly have downshift issues. I took it in to the dealer. 

The clutch had never been adjusted so they did that and changed the angle sensor just in case. 

Shifts perfect again. 

They also adjusted the valves that had never been touched since I bought it new in 04.

I was wondering if on my FM this could fix my issue or it's only for the ES system ?