Budlight

2002 450es meter

I had a Conversation with a gentleman about repairing mine on Facebook he told me to look at some of his work I here would to talk with him 

Edited by Budlight

Welcome to the forum Budlight!

If you look around, you can find quite a few before and after examples of my repairs here

if you need any additional clarifications or pictures let me know

Post a picture of your speedometer with it illuminated, (headlights on) so I can see what you have going on

I will send contact information to your message box here as well

AKATV

Hi AKATV,

I'm working on a 1999 TRX450ES and it has a shift issue. This is what I know, The speedometer reads 0 all the time. It will shift up through all gears, then when driven a short way it will not downshift until I turn the key off then back on. It will then reset and I can start the process all over. I do not have power from the speedo to the the speed sensor on the black/blue wire as the manual says I should. The readout of the speedo is clear and everything else works but the speed stays at 0 all the time. It seems that the board in the speedo is malfunctioning. Is this something you repair?  Or am I on the wrong track? 

The last time I saw this  problem with the speedometer reading zero, it was a failed speed sensor, which quite commonly fail.

Are you going by the Honda factory service manual for the speed sensor testing procedure or using a different manual like Clymer or Haynes

Edited by AKATV

Yes on the manual, The first test is power to the black/blue wire which I have 0 volts. I have 0 volts when doing the test on the sensor but I am assuming that's because I have no power being supplied.

I had the meter apart down to the board hoping to find something out of the ordinary but all looks good. No visible damage anywhere on the board.

I have never seen a speedometer board fail in a way to just not show speed,

I'm not saying it cant happen, but if its reading zero and all else is working, I would say to swap the speed sensor if you have one you can borrow to try that with 

I recall, if I remember correctly, I think you can also pull sensor out and spin the shaft in a drill or with fingers to check for 0-5 volts output on the green and pink wires -Its been a few years 

Do you have continuity on the blue and black wire from the speedometer to the speed sensor?

Have you checked for battery voltage (with key on) at the blue and black wire at the speedometer side of the harness?

I have back probed the connector coming out of the speedometer and have no power on the black /blue wire with key on. I have continuity on the black/blue wire from the sensor to the speedo. I disconnected the sensor from the harness and I put 12v to the black/blue wire and spun the sensor shaft with my meter connected to the pink and green and still have no voltage showing up. I don't know if that's how this is supposed to work or not. I think you may be right about the sensor being bad. The part I don't get is the lack of voltage on the black/blue wire. Maybe I have 2 problems

AKATV,

I replaced the speed sensor with an new oem and still nothing. I rechecked continuity and in the process of checking multiple things different ways, I found The black/blue wire is grounded coming out of the meter and it should be 12v. Is this something you're interested in checking out and hopefully repair? Thanks, Dan

If the blue wire is grounded, its safe to say you have a shorted component on the the board

Is it actually giving continuity straight to ground?- or just no voltage output? (just want to make sure)

Was this a water damaged board by chance?

You can send it to me, but it might not be cost effective to repair, depending on if the short to ground damaged any other components

I sent my contact information to your message box as well

AKATV

Edited by AKATV

On 12/1/2021 at 6:19 PM, Budlight said:

I had a Conversation with a gentleman about repairing mine on Facebook he told me to look at some of his work I here would to talk with him 

On 12/1/2021 at 7:40 PM, AKATV said:

Welcome to the forum Budlight!

If you look around, you can find quite a few before and after examples of my repairs here

if you need any additional clarifications or pictures let me know

Post a picture of your speedometer with it illuminated, (headlights on) so I can see what you have going on

I will send contact information to your message box here as well

AKATV

It showed what it should but it is washed out sometimes there is black dot and I can see everything around it the pictures show how it is now

87CD2E8F-8013-4A44-9F83-5CDBBBE9915F.jpeg

91C20B76-01BC-48D9-ADAB-274FDB0226F2.jpeg

25 minutes ago, Budlight said:

Thanks for the pictures Budlight

a little bit blurry but it looks like I can repair your speedometer it just needs to have the polarization films done

I will send my contact information to your message box if you’d like to look into having a repair done

Thanks AKATV, Your fix on the board corrected the issues that I had going on. The speedo now works as it should and the shift issue is gone. Thank you very much! Happy New year!

You are very welcome ddb171

Thanks for the update, I am glad to hear you are back up and running

Happy New Year!