TJA

99 foreman engine rebuild.

2 hours ago, TJA said:

It has a quarter inch of play in the connecting rod. Is this worth saving? Is the crank case separate from the transmission? All that Chinese aluminum went somewhere. Thanks guys.

some  play to the left and right of  the bottom/ big journal  would be ok , 1/4 up and down on that journal ain't good ---------  with the wrist pin in the small journal , you don't want any play there ----  the crankcase houses  the transmission 

• Thanks 1

I found an OEM top end on the net for $450, anyone know where to find a crank and a rod. I remember chatting about it here back when I first started posting about the thing blowing up. I did get an answer to my question on niche parts though! Thanks Fish.

3 hours ago, TJA said:

I found an OEM top end on the net for $450, anyone know where to find a crank and a rod. I remember chatting about it here back when I first started posting about the thing blowing up. I did get an answer to my question on niche parts though! Thanks Fish.

I take my cranks and send them to Vince at Mr Crankshaft.  Rod kit (Vesrah, made in Japan) is usually $100ish give or take, and he charges about $135-140 to install, true, and get the crank back to you.

You'll need to split the crankcase on that engine to get all of the crap out of the bottom end anyway, so you can split, clean, knock the crank out and have it rebuilt, and then put back together.  Then you KNOW the bottom end is good.

If you're looking at this on ebay, that's an OEM cylinder with an aftermarket Taiwan piston/ rings etc.  https://www.ebay.ca/itm/132226128043

If you're going that direction, I'd find a used OEM cylinder, send to G&H ATV, have them bore it.  They do good work.  Not sure about some of these other companies selling on ebay.

This is what you'll be into when you split the cases.  Looks intimidating, but once you do it a time or two it's not bad.

• Thanks 1

Personally,  I would do a couple rebuild.  I only did rist pin up. Running prefix.  Mine had Low mileage.  + A complete wire harness  exchange.  ( hacked) . 1998 450es  now runs like New! 

On 6/3/2023 at 7:03 AM, JRB said:

Personally,  I would do a couple rebuild.  I only did rist pin up. Running prefix.  Mine had Low mileage.  + A complete wire harness  exchange.  ( hacked) . 1998 450es  now runs like New! 

I didn't think I had any other choice! 

On 6/2/2023 at 12:46 PM, jeepwm69 said:

I take my cranks and send them to Vince at Mr Crankshaft.  Rod kit (Vesrah, made in Japan) is usually $100ish give or take, and he charges about $135-140 to install, true, and get the crank back to you.

You'll need to split the crankcase on that engine to get all of the crap out of the bottom end anyway, so you can split, clean, knock the crank out and have it rebuilt, and then put back together.  Then you KNOW the bottom end is good.

If you're looking at this on ebay, that's an OEM cylinder with an aftermarket Taiwan piston/ rings etc.  https://www.ebay.ca/itm/132226128043

If you're going that direction, I'd find a used OEM cylinder, send to G&H ATV, have them bore it.  They do good work.  Not sure about some of these other companies selling on ebay.

This is what you'll be into when you split the cases.  Looks intimidating, but once you do it a time or two it's not bad.

So she is not a total loss as far as the engine goes? That's what I was worrying about. Thank you.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2023 at 8:07 AM, TJA said:

So she is not a total loss as far as the engine goes? That's what I was worrying about. Thank you.

Long as the cases aren't busted, the crank and top end I pretty much replace on every engine I touch, along with splitting cases and cleaning everything out thoroughly.   It's the only way to know it will last.

• Thanks 1

On 6/2/2023 at 7:47 AM, TJA said:

tip: the trx400 crank is the very same crank the trx450 uses !.

• Thanks 1

I have a ( looks new) carb. If u want $50.00. My problem  was wire. Don't need.?

Thanks for the information guys, I'm going to have the engine out in a week or so.  I'll post more pictures then, it destroyed the piston, jug and rod so far. Chinese junk. I would post more but I have almost no Internet service at home. I have to wait until I'm in town. 

• Like 1

Mr Crankshaft , Vince , ask him for the Versha rod up grade 

G+H Discount ATV , they will either bore  your jug with a Shindy piston or for $20 more you could buy the Taiwanese jug  comes with everything you need 

• Like 1

Fish, is the Taiwan stuff any good? I wouldn't know where to start looking for used oem. I plan on just ordering the crank, it's listed at $239 on Mr Crankshafts site, then I'll need a jug and piston. I've been watching craigslist for local parts, no Honda foremans for sale. Thanks for all the advice guys. 

17 hours ago, TJA said:

Fish, is the Taiwan stuff any good? I wouldn't know where to start looking for used oem. I plan on just ordering the crank, it's listed at $239 on Mr Crankshafts site, then I'll need a jug and piston. I've been watching craigslist for local parts, no Honda foremans for sale. Thanks for all the advice guys. 

Not as good as OEM, but Taiwan> China.

I think Shadetree used an ebay top end on his last 450 build he did, and was happy with it.  This is the link he sent me.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254938742256

I think Taiwan is better quality than china ---- G+H Discount ATV has the Taiwan jug kits if you want one 

6 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I think Taiwan is better quality than china ---- G+H Discount ATV has the Taiwan jug kits if you want one 

Yep, Taiwan is better than china.  If G&H has a jug kit I'd go that route.  At least you know they're a reputable seller and will stand behind what they sell.

2 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Yep, Taiwan is better than china.  If G&H has a jug kit I'd go that route.  At least you know they're a reputable seller and will stand behind what they sell.

G+H charges $40 more for a new Taiwan jug kit over the cost of a rebore and kit ---- we just put on my buddy's 300