jstatham

1995 Foreman Disc Brake Conversion-FishFiles I was told to ask you on another forum

I have googled and googled and read and watched until I am tired of looking. I am looking with someone from experience with upgrading the Foreman 400 to Front and rear disc. I am looking at the super ATV for the rear and see all kinds of issues and found someone on youtube who used a SnowMobile caliper on the super ATV kit and it works awesome. I am trying to figure out is there a way to upgrade to rear disc and adding a master cylinder and not losing reverse on the handlebar. Does anyone know of a left handled master cylinder that will work with reverse? Or should I just bypass the reverse and not worry about it.  I am rebuilding a 1995 Foreman 400 my father in law gave my daughter.  I just put a 450 top end on it and jetted the carb.  I am now working on cosmetics and safety.  So any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Jstatham , I have some build  threads on the subject , maybe here , but definitly on HondaATV , I used the SuperATV rear caliper that came with the kit , had to get a block off plate to cover the cable  adjuster when going to hydraulics , used a Yamaha Kodiac  700 hand brake , the  end of the reverse lock out cable was not the same on the Kodiak  , I just by-passed reverse lock out instead of dealing with the cable, the rear brake foot is also tee'ed into the the rear brake with a Hnda 1000 Gold Wing foot master cylinder -------- my atv in the pics is a 2000 450 , the rear end is the same , some have a bolt on trailer hitch after 2002 -2004  but they will interchange parts with the 400 

IMG_8319.JPG

IMG_8945.JPG

IMG_8497.JPG

Awesome thanks for the info.  Where are you located?  What do you think the total cost for both front and rear brakes?  Also does Super ATV still give the discount?

Fish is down in Louisiana.  Yes, SuperATV gives a 10% discount if you call your order in and mention that you're a member of this board.

• Like 1

so I went for the hydraulic left brake lever assembly , got it fromPower Sports Nation , used a 07 Yamaha Grizzly 700 ESP master assembly , had to cut that aluminum colored eye off in the second pic as it hit the light switch , drill the winch controller bracket hole bigger , the reverse lock out cable is just a little too big of a end to fit , so reverse lock out is going to happen there , the plumbing is going to be sweet , the hand guard might not work out , if not then I will have t just take the one off the other side , also the Yammy is an aluminum lever and the Honda black , but all in all it will work

there is also a micro switch on the lever , so I could tie that into a start lock out until the lever is pulled , safety switch

Attachments

In this pic you can see the black block off plate on the rear of the SuperATV caliper , I had to get that plate and do some grinding on it to fit over the hole where the brake cable an adjuster went to , never did find one that fit without working it -----  the port for the hydraulics was on the caliper , I made my own brake hoses with  hose and banjo  fittings called Fragola -----  as far as what it cost  ,  pretty good , I'd guess back and front and hydraulic conversion at least $750 ------    $400+ for the front an rear kits , two used masters about $80 , external master cylinder reservoir for the foot brake  with all new fittings and hoses were a couple of hundred , something I had from other atvs , the tee is a TRX250 Fourtrax ------ you really don't need a foot brake , the hand lever is all you need ---- 

image.png

Thanks for the info.  I have some decisions to make.  I have about 1500 to spend on this project.  I need new tires and the plastics are pretty rough and the front rack is gone. I know I am going to do the front brakes to disc for sure not sure on the rear.  I just took the plastics off and plan on pressure washing and breaking down the front and rear brakes tomorrow. 

IMG_9146.jpg

On another questions I just bought a 2 inch lift and wonder what size tires you would recommend?  I current have 25x8x12 in the front and 25x10x12 in the rear.  I was thinking of going with 26 or 27 if they are in stock.  Any thoughts?

9 hours ago, jstatham said:

On another questions I just bought a 2 inch lift and wonder what size tires you would recommend?  I current have 25x8x12 in the front and 25x10x12 in the rear.  I was thinking of going with 26 or 27 if they are in stock.  Any thoughts?

You can run 27s x12s in the rear and 10s in the front without a reduction , no problems 

• Like 1

Thanks.  I just got back from the tire store.  I got new tires and wheels and stuck with the 25.  I didn't think a few inches was worth the money.  I have the bike completely tore down and working on painting/lift,brakes and everything else.

IMG_8831.jpg

IMG_9160.jpg

IMG_9166.jpg

IMG_9176.jpg

IMG_9192.jpg

• Like 3

Doing it right!  And I have 27's on most of mine, but you only gain 1/2" of clearance for every inch bigger in tire, so it does get pricey and start robbing power for not much more ground clearance. 

Then you start buying GR's and you really spend some dough, all to turn bigger tires for that 1" of ground clearance!