WonderMonkey

Fishing Nerds

15 hours ago, PROV said:

I've been fishing Ontario, Canada for 45 years. Only live 120 miles south of the border in Minnesota. I have probably close to 400 days up there mainly chasing walleye and big northern pike. For walleye I use a spinning rod with quality 6# or 8# test mono with a jig. I tip the jig with a minnow, 1/2 a crawler or 3" Berkeley Gulp minnows. Gulp is great for fly-in fishing. For northern I use a casting rod and reel with 12# test Fireline. The spinning rod setup I tie the jig directly to the line. On the casting setup I use a good quality ball bearing snap swivel. Best baits for big pike are a large nickel Doctor Spoon and large crankbaits cast or trolled at 3mph or more. I find leaders hamper bait action but if heavily infested with Pike you may need them. If you get into Lake Trout fishing I've done plenty of that too. Just holler.

I don't think this lake is known for Lake Trout, but when I place my call to the outfitter I'll have more information.  I'll ask him the same things I'm asking here to get his input.

8 hours ago, WonderMonkey said:

I don't think this lake is known for Lake Trout, but when I place my call to the outfitter I'll have more information.  I'll ask him the same things I'm asking here to get his input.

Find out if it's a clear or dark water lake. Dark lakes you can catch fish well all day. Clear ones are better in morning and evening for walleye. My biggest Pike up there was 43 1/2" long and about 25#. Biggest walleye was 30". Let the big ones go, eat the smaller ones. They cook and taste way better.

• Like 2

On 12/7/2021 at 1:48 AM, Fishfiles said:

We don't see a lot of pike down here  , in my entire life might have caught 6 on a rod , have caught many small ones in the trawl , guess they get flushed down the river ---  I have washed quite a few 3-6 inches out the mud holes we ride 4 wheelers  in , the water is 3-4 ft deep , in landlocked ditches like that the eggs get on birds legs that wade in the water and get transferred to the ditches -----  we do have lots of garfish , with all the teeth like pike ,   steel leaders are the way to go with gar -------- what does work on toothy fish  is fluorocarbon leaders  , it disappears to the fish in the water and is not as stiff as steel so fishes more natural , as far as line goes  , Spiderwire or one of the braided lines are good stuff , they claim 17 lb test fishes like 35 lb

i used Spiderwire on my cheaper reels with my cheaper rods. it cut  grooves, into the eyelets. i used to use that cheaper stuff, at pay lakes=large ponds. near all were using large all expensive rods an reels. some of those fishing,  like to cast there bait right beside ya ???, never could figure that out,, any way i did just ! good, with 10 pound stren, on the cheaper rod.

pay lakes are a joke anyway, once the cats get to biting, ya can catch them on anything. fish frenzy.. seen it happen more than once. even at farm ponds, caught fish on a blade of grass, when they are biting like this..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LedFTed said:

i used Spiderwire on my cheaper reels with my cheaper rods. it cut  grooves, into the eyelets. i used to use that cheaper stuff, at pay lakes=large ponds. near all were using large all expensive rods an reels. some of those fishing,  like to cast there bait right beside ya ???, never could figure that out,, any way i did just ! good, with 10 pound stren, on the cheaper rod.

pay lakes are a joke anyway, once the cats get to biting, ya can catch them on anything. fish frenzy.. seen it happen more than once. even at farm ponds, caught fish on a blade of grass, when they are biting like this..

I have had quite a few rod  eyelets cut using the Spider Wire