DLBeltran74

Oil burning

Ok, sorry to bother everyone but I have a new issue. I just got it running. Idles great. I noticed white smoke coming off the top of the engine and thought maybe it was suppose to do that during break in time. But I’ve had it running for a while and it’s still snoozing. I looked at the valve cover and noticed a little oil seeping from the lower two bolts. Took it off and the lower left acorn nut also has oil leaking from there. Should I order new acorn nuts and washer and a valve cover gasket and new valve cover bolts or what? Please help. I don’t know how long I can smell this oil burning. 

3 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

this is the same atv as the other thread ?  what was it again ? 

Earlier thread says 2004 TRX450 FM...

8 hours ago, bcsman said:

Earlier thread says 2004 TRX450 FM...

That's right , the other thread ----  did he ever say what fixed it last time ??? 

22 hours ago, DLBeltran74 said:

Ok, sorry to bother everyone but I have a new issue. I just got it running. Idles great. I noticed white smoke coming off the top of the engine and thought maybe it was suppose to do that during break in time. But I’ve had it running for a while and it’s still snoozing. I looked at the valve cover and noticed a little oil seeping from the lower two bolts. Took it off and the lower left acorn nut also has oil leaking from there. Should I order new acorn nuts and washer and a valve cover gasket and new valve cover bolts or what? Please help. I don’t know how long I can smell this oil burning. 

The nuts and washers shouldn't be a problem unless they are stripped out.   Did you put a new valve cover gasket in place when you were in there?

Were it me, I'd try a new valve cover gasket, make sure you don't overtighten those bolts and they WILL strip, and then you have another PITA project.  If the new gasket doesn't work, try a dab of hondabond in the leaky area (but you must keep the gasket as well)

Yes, I replaced all the top end gaskets. I tightened them to spec. Well, what the book had. So, now I’m just confused on why it would be leaking from there. 

Could be a burr, warpage, or just a didn’t get a good seal.

Make sure it’s clean and flat