Rgremi

05 rancher 350 es shift problem

Could it be the clutch adjustment?  The #14 spring doesn't seem "springy" at all.  Or is there something else I should be looking for?

Screenshot_20230126-180636_Chrome.jpg

Stretched out #14 spring a little.  Put cover back on and torqued down.  Still shifting great.  Will finish reassembly tomorrow and try the electric shift motor but am sure it will be fine now since the shift shaft returns to center on its own now.

• Like 1

I finally had time to work on this again.  Here is where I'm at.  Shifts great with manual shifter.  Install electric motor and will not return to center.  If I shift it electrically it doesn't return, but I can pull the shift motor and it immediately returns to center.  Basically it will not return to center with the shift motor installed.  I replaced the shift motor with brand new one and same problem.  Now what?

Edited by mozy444

37 minutes ago, mozy444 said:

I finally had time to work on this again.  Here is where I'm at.  Shifts great with manual shifter.  Install electric motor and will not return to center.  If I shift it electrically it doesn't return, but I can pull the shift motor and it immediately returns to center.  Basically it will not return to center with the shift motor installed.  I replaced the shift motor with brand new one and same problem.  Now what?

New OEM or new china/amazon?

Have you cleaned up, inspected, and lightly greased the gears that the shift motor actuates?

The tiny reduction gears support bearings might need some work. Sometimes one or two of those tiny ball bearings is installed improperly at the factory which results in the bearing left cocked sideways slightly in the bore. Whenever a bearing is cocked in it's bore there is excessive friction because it allows a reduction gear to be pinched and that gear rubs on the cover. The return spring cannot overcome the friction caused by a binding gear, so ES fails to complete a shift.

Take the reduction gears/shift motor cover off and remove the gears so you can inspect those support bearings. If any are slightly crooked tap on the high side of the bearing race with a plastic screwdriver handle (or small plastic hammer) lightly until the bearing is perfectly straight in the bore. Then push some synthetic grease into each of those bearings using your finger until the ball bearings are fully repacked which takes about 10-15 minutes to accomplish.

Odds are good that you don't need that angle sensor bypass harness at all and never did. Follow this ES prep guide entirely (don't skip anything!) then remove the bypass harness to see if you've solved your problem.

The reduction gears were the first thing I checked after installing the bypass.  Shift motor had no power before the bypass was installed.  Once I had power and it was shifting but not returning to center, I cleaned the reduction gears, greased and reassembled.  Didnt help. I came up with a temporary fix.  I pulled the front cover again.  Removed the large spring from the shift plate.  Over extended the spring to give it more strength then reinstalled. Then I bolted on a shim that causes the shift motor to tilt down slightly which has relieved the pressure on the gears.  Still don't know why if had that much pressure in the gears, but with the spring stronger and the shim in place, it shifts fine now.  Would still rather fix the problem instead of the shim, but at least it's working.

20230203_181022.jpg

Edited by mozy444