Fishfiles

Hobbies , Arts and Crafts

Tried to link some art welding , but it wouldn't work 

On 7/22/2020 at 6:07 AM, Fishfiles said:

I write your name in the will for that Last Supper Pic !!! 

There are two Italian tags on the back ,   I kind of think it may have come from Vatican City 

Here is another last Supper pic  , it was a copper tin , I painted the black , got a mat from Hobby Lobby , found a frame and painted it gold ---  was going to do a bit more painting on it , but never did gt to it yet 

UtyG+lRIRha4E4XSg9hxBA.jpg

Thank You, that is truly kind of you!

that one turned out great as well!

• Like 1

I picked up this old school mini fire hydrant , story goes it is from Tulane Stadium , New Orleans , which  was demo'ed in 1979 and was built between 1924 and 1926 ,  the Saints played there till the Super Dome was completed ----my  buddy's all told me to leave it rustic , but I could not do it , going to paint it up , got some self-ethicing primer on it this evening 

Tulane Stadium
Construction
Broke ground April 7, 1924
Opened October 23, 1926
Closed August 3, 1975
Demolished November 18, 1979-June 15, 1980

fullsizeoutput_d17.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_d14.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_d16.jpeg

On 8/1/2020 at 8:51 AM, Fishfiles said:

i'd like to turn ya loose on a oak tree at the bottom of the driveway. it died. probably to late. the branches that fall off, aint worth burning. the trunk 3' thick.

Edited by LedFTed
  • Like 1

On 6/7/2020 at 8:42 AM, Fishfiles said:

Jeep , Murphy's Wood Soap is some good stuff for cleaning wood 

used with saddles also.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2020 at 8:02 PM, Fishfiles said:

You know what I think someone would want these machines for : the components  , there are many tubes and old school electronic stuff paced inside 

fullsizeoutput_cef.jpeg

make a ! of an amplifier for a band, since every thing has went to transistors.

you could short saw that 3 foot trunk, and sell it... lots of people are going to burning short cut wood nowa days... its easy to handle for wives, and the older people .... don't you still have access to this 35 ton splitter ? 

image.jpg

On 7/20/2020 at 9:19 PM, Scotticus said:

Wilson you are correct that they are outdated.  People use them to fix old electronics like cb radios, ham radios old TVs and industrial equipment.  Old collectible electronics are worth way more if they work.  The most valuable vacuum tubes are the ones used in industrial equipment. Circuit boards replaced them. https://vacuumtubesinc.com/index.php/vacuum-tubes.html

make me wonder what my dad's old tube checker would go for. at least 54 yrs. old. hope the termites aint et up the wooden box its made of. 🤢

6 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

you could short saw that 3 foot trunk, and sell it... lots of people are going to burning short cut wood nowa days... its easy to handle for wives, and the older people .... don't you still have access to this 35 ton splitter ? 

image.jpg

i got access to the splitter my bro in law bought, not this one. my bro-in-laws friend lived in Frankfort, 60 miles away. he crossed over. i'd have to hire someone to take down the tree. road is close, bout 10 or 15 Ft., the phone cable is the same on the opposite side. it would have to fall, without landing, on the road, phone cable, or driveway.  the county, is grandfathered in as being responsible, close to the road. though if ya buy land now they got 50' road frontage.  i can only let this tree fall. 😡 its dangerous standing. i paid my friends[they do tree work] to cut the branches that hang over the road long ago, and paid my friend to help me cut the branches. cost $600. the branches that are left lean to the phone lines. if they dont care, i dont. i warned them 10 or 12 years ago, maybe i'll warn then again?, that was when it was bell south, now its AT&T. ever try to call them up, an talk about a problem?

we dont have a home phone., so i dont care. 😝

50 feet ?? wow! if thats the case .... I'd just let the tree fall, eventually the state or county should come take care of it. and the phone company is responsible for there own problems as well! ... I'd get the county, or states phone number....and call them till they get that mess cleaned up, that is if the tree falls on the public road... 

• Like 1

You know that science equipment I posted pics of , WOW , what a story it has turned out to be :

Turned out to be one of the strangest pick I think I ever heard about , the first property in Lacombe from the East borders the 460 acres  my buddy owns , which borders me , so it is about 15-20   acres over from me , it is a very old piece of property that was owned by the same family for over 100 years , tucked back in the woods , if you blinked going down the road you might never see the driveway , I live right next door and had no idea what was back there , except for google earth shots , the guy owns it now is 80 , he lived there all his life and his dad before him , so it is really nice , 54 acres and has a main house , guest house , cabana house for the pool and 5 barns , all full for " old " stuff , my buddy owns the flea market in Lacombe and got the job to empty the barns , try and sell as much as he can , give a percentage of the money to the owner , and take the trash away , so he  has not made a dent in it yet , the guy's dad was a professor at Tulane University in New Orleans and had all kinds of laboratory equipment from the 50s-60s , well  they open a box and there were 6 pickle looking jaws in it , each jaw had a heart in , with what ever they use to preserve it with , so my buddy's helper is a Coast Guard guy who helps him when he is on leave  and he freaks out and says that a guy in his group would know if they are human or animal and what to do with them , so that guy gives them to the coroner with out first even talking with the owner  , and my buddy was freaking out when the  coroner calls the owner , then the owner calls him , my buddy was thinking they were going to shut down the job and go thru every thing like a crime seine  investigation , I did a quick search of the guy's dad , his resume is unreal , he was the " leading "  heart scientist  in the " world " at his time and retired in 1975 , he was the first and pioneered so many different areas of heart disease , the list is long , first to use nuclear  treatment on the heart  , first to realize diet caused blockages , first etc , etc , he was the chairman of the heath and science department for 28 years at Tulane and traveled the world ----  the Smithsonian Museum has came in and got a bunch of those machines for the museum , the movie crew has started up again and they came in and bought 7 of the machines  for movie props last weekend --- I am glad the guy got some recognition and the machines where not eventionally sent to the scrap yard   

I got my eyes on a Cushman cart from the 50's , there are 2 of them , one has been refinished and looks amazing , they asking  $5k for it , but there is a second cart that has not been refurbed , these carts are a bit different as they have two wheels in the front and one in the rear with a cargo deck in the front , kind of like the old ice cream wagons that rode the neighborhood when I was a kid , also there are a few old tractors , and lots of old farm equipment , which really don't interest me 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

You know that science equipment I posted pics of , WOW , what a story it has turned out to be :

Turned out to be one of the strangest pick I think I ever heard about , the first property in Lacombe from the East borders the 460 acres  my buddy owns , which borders me , so it is about 15-20   acres over from me , it is a very old piece of property that was owned by the same family for over 100 years , tucked back in the woods , if you blinked going down the road you might never see the driveway , I live right next door and had no idea what was back there , except for google earth shots , the guy owns it now is 80 , he lived there all his life and his dad before him , so it is really nice , 54 acres and has a main house , guest house , cabana house for the pool and 5 barns , all full for " old " stuff , my buddy owns the flea market in Lacombe and got the job to empty the barns , try and sell as much as he can , give a percentage of the money to the owner , and take the trash away , so he  has not made a dent in it yet , the guy's dad was a professor at Tulane University in New Orleans and had all kinds of laboratory equipment from the 50s-60s , well  they open a box and there were 6 pickle looking jaws in it , each jaw had a heart in , with what ever they use to preserve it with , so my buddy's helper is a Coast Guard guy who helps him when he is on leave  and he freaks out and says that a guy in his group would know if they are human or animal and what to do with them , so that guy gives them to the coroner with out first even talking with the owner  , and my buddy was freaking out when the  coroner calls the owner , then the owner calls him , my buddy was thinking they were going to shut down the job and go thru every thing like a crime seine  investigation , I did a quick search of the guy's dad , his resume is unreal , he was the " leading "  heart scientist  in the " world " at his time and retired in 1975 , he was the first and pioneered so many different areas of heart disease , the list is long , first to use nuclear  treatment on the heart  , first to realize diet caused blockages , first etc , etc , he was the chairman of the heath and science department for 28 years at Tulane and traveled the world ----  the Smithsonian Museum has came in and got a bunch of those machines for the museum , the movie crew has started up again and they came in and bought 7 of the machines  for movie props last weekend --- I am glad the guy got some recognition and the machines where not eventionally sent to the scrap yard   

I got my eyes on a Cushman cart from the 50's , there are 2 of them , one has been refinished and looks amazing , they asking  $5k for it , but there is a second cart that has not been refurbed , these carts are a bit different as they have two wheels in the front and one in the rear with a cargo deck in the front , kind of like the old ice cream wagons that rode the neighborhood when I was a kid , also there are a few old tractors , and lots of old farm equipment , which really don't interest me 

Man I would LOVE to walk through all that old stuff. 

• Like 1

This is one of my latest project , old school New Orleans look street sign holder , my 570 Can Am buddy cut the aluminum sign metal which has a black coating on it , wish it was flat , but beggers should not be picky going to sink a pole at the driveway and street , going to get vinyl graphics from a buddy that does that , still not sure what , should do my last name , but thinking about  Triple R  or   Rocksy Road Ranch in white letters 

fullsizeoutput_d19.jpeg

I pick up my street sign from my vinyl guy this evening  , gave him free reigns on color and font of lettering , my first impression was " it ain't me " , I was thinking " Rue Bourbon St " French Quarter style --     but it's growing on me and the wife loves it , I'd call that font " Happy " >  could suggest it looks like a fun place , LOL 

DqV4SHrBS+CBlCRJcy3rxg.jpg

• Like 4

My latest project , aluminum table had a glass top that got broken , got it free , cleaned primed and painted it gold , 6 - 1x10s , cut the ends for  biscuits , dry fitted together in the pick -----     ready for gluing , then cut a 51 inch circle , sand it and then paint it black 

MoNQejZVQD+vcSokZAUjVA.jpg

ctom%duzRqq8jptP5nDAlg.jpg

12 minutes ago, shrade said:

put a rounding over bit in your router and ease that edge!

I am afraid to , the wood is pine and soft , then the way it is made the grains change direction over and over and I  think the router is going to splinter it up ---- thinking of use a 4 1/2 flapper sanding disc to bevel the edge , then DA over that to smooth it down 

On 8/5/2020 at 9:20 AM, jeepwm69 said:

Man I would LOVE to walk through all that old stuff. 

The Smithsonian Museum actually  came down and took 7 of the heart research machines , they were really one of a kind proto-type machines , the movie prop company took 10 machines , a few were bought by people to repurpose  , but the rest of the machines sat around the flea market for a couple of months and last weekend the scrap iron guy loaded up  3 trailer loads of what was left  

• Like 1

I finished the card / party table , looks alright , wish I would have used satin / non gloss poly-urethane ---  a little too glossy for me  

fce3ExXxTLOc9eEa90W8+w.jpg

• Like 1