Fishfiles

Hobbies , Arts and Crafts

On 12/25/2020 at 5:12 PM, Fishfiles said:

Hi Turbo ,Happy Holidays to You , Blue Zulu and the Family -----  nice chair , have seen many varieties in design , but not one like that , sweet !! 

Thanks Fish! I found an elevation drawing on the internet and drew out my own using it as a guide. Might get a few sales of them next year!

I made this one from Sapele wood (African hardwood) offcuts and then coated it with a medium oak stain.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Very cool chair!

Thanks Jeep! Hopefully get a few more made in the new year as they seem to be quite rare here and should sell!

• Like 2

That is a good looking Indian ----

Just yesterday Karl brought out a load of carved figures to sell at the flea market , he is getting pretty good , his prices are reasonable , the bear is $100 , the eagles are $80 , owl $60 and turtles are $45   

fullsizeoutput_e2b.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_e2a.jpeg

• Like 1

I been collecting beer tap pulls when I see nice ones , mounting them on bells for display ,  I just put this one together , turned it into a bell and added a Navy Eagle to it --- I am not even sure what type of beer it was , it had the dome of the Congress building on top , replaced it with a ferrel ( is that the correct word ) off a lamp 

4I9kalSgQ3WzZu95zeDh6A.jpg

• Like 2

This time of the year my usual inside hobby is reloading centerfire ammo but with components being either non existent or way over priced, my reloading bench has been converted to building plastic models.

The desk in the loft sits right next to a window so a fan and ducting were made to allow a way to exhaust the paint and glue fumes.  Model building has been something I've enjoyed on an off since a small kid.  About 20 years ago a small hobby shop was going out of business so I stocked up on some kits.

Here's a few.

20210124_184136.jpg

20210124_184429.jpg

20210124_184316.jpg

20210113_191647.jpg

20210105_095554.jpg

20201207_111626.jpg

• Like 5

@56Sierra very nice work !!  ---  I like your paint booth ----- I was into plastic models when I was a kid , built cars , trucks and some boats , but never did do a plastic plane ---- built a few R/C planes , remember one , spent 100 hours building it and on the first flight , never seen it again 

I figured out your alias name , it is your tail numbers ---- you ever thought of building a flying plane from a kit ? 

Still got this toy since I was 18 ---- 87mph was the best I did with it 

fullsizeoutput_2c0.jpeg

• Like 1

I also build and fly RC.  With all the additional regs it's getting to be a PITA to fly a few of my larger planes.  Over half come in under the weight limit so I can still fly them without worries of the Black Gunships coming to shoot me down.

Yeah, time to change the screen name since Sierra was sold a few years back.  Had a screaming good partnership going for quite a few years.  I have thought many times about a kitbuilt plane but now that I have the time I plan to do some serious downsizing here real soon.

How in the world can you keep track of that little boat at those speeds?  My RC planes are electric slow fliers.  It's all you can do to keep from throwing rocks at them when they fly by😉

20201212_095637.jpg

20201212_095616.jpg

20201212_095552.jpg

20201212_095531.jpg

• Like 2

nicely detailed! i did a number of 1/24 scale models, never get into building model planes, back when i was doing them, the  selection here in columbia was very limited, (just 1/24 scale cars trucks, and a few heavy equitpment models) i've been to hobby lobby a couple times, thinking i might actually  ... try my hands at a helicopter, or maybe even a jet fighter plane..... what id really like to get into is remote controled plane... so we shall see. 

• Like 1

Nice collection of planes !!! All electric no gas ? 

As far as seeing the boat in motion , the water has to be dead calm/glass to run wide open , it has so much torque it will jump out the water and spin , so it really ain't that bad see it when it is calm  , it will run in a chop as long as you slow it down a bit ----   ran it a lot in the private pond for RC boat that use to be here in Slidell , they have since sold the property and shut down the pond  , it was nice , they had races , with Grand Stands , score boards ---one of the members was a State trooper and he use to shoot the speeds ---

To run races , they penalized me , because it is a 40 class fiberglass hull , with a OPS Red Head 067 engine , so I had to run in the open class and against the  90s and even double 60s  or double 90s ---- I have the OPS 040 and 060 engines for it also  ----  my best times were running an exhaust throttle set up , but it was very messy with the fuel , like you say with the plane regulations now days , the EPA would be all over my butt for the clean water act after a run using the  exhaust throttle ------  and I got run off from so many lakes as it is  loud , like a 500 cc two stroke dirt bike with no baffle , it throws a rooster tail about 80 ft long and 15 ft in the air , burned 35% Nitro 

IMG_0378.JPG

IMG_0376.JPG

IMG_0377.JPG

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

and I got run off from so many lakes as it is  loud , like a 500 cc two stroke dirt bike with no baffle , it throws a rooster tail about 80 ft long and 15 ft in the air , burned 35% Nitro

so you started wrenching / modding when you were very young, and never stopped, that sure explains alot, that sure sounds like one bad a-- machine. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 56Sierra said:

This time of the year my usual inside hobby is reloading centerfire ammo but with components being either non existent or way over priced, my reloading bench has been converted to building plastic models.

The desk in the loft sits right next to a window so a fan and ducting were made to allow a way to exhaust the paint and glue fumes.  Model building has been something I've enjoyed on an off since a small kid.  About 20 years ago a small hobby shop was going out of business so I stocked up on some kits.

Here's a few.

20210124_184136.jpg

20210124_184429.jpg

20210124_184316.jpg

20210113_191647.jpg

20210105_095554.jpg

20201207_111626.jpg

Nice work!  I used to build models with my grandad when I was a kid, but most of them were pretty sloppy. Glue everywhere, stickers instead of paint.

I have quite a few of the Ultimate Solider 1:18 planes around the house.  They were already painted and I just had to snap them together.  When Walmart started selling them I found a P47 Razorback on clearance, bought it, and was hooked.  For awhile I would find them on clearance at Walmart while I was traveling all over the place for work, and would resell them on ebay. 

I kept about 10 of them.  Company that made them in out of business now.

Looking at your P40, with the Ultimate Solider planes being made in chyna, they couldn't put the Chinese Nationalist symbol on anything, so they just had plain blue circles on the wings, and then the company would toss a couple of stickers in after the products arrived in the US.   https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-21st-Century-Toys-Ultimate-Soldier-WWII-Motorworks-P-40-Warhawk-1-18-Plane/363166845304?epid=2255449224&hash=item548e6e4978:g:veYAAOSw0t9fo1cM

• Like 2

here it was k-mart , and roses.... that was about it for choices.... when you can't drive... lol..... i got in so much trouble wandering off to look for models when my mom would go shopping for groceries ... i reckon i had to be 9, or 10 ? ... i 1st started with those little match box / hot wheels etc cast cars, farm equiptment, some construction equiptment,  then went from there to models ... snaps for Christmas, and birthdays, then went to scale 1/24 glue and testors paints, and glues. 

26 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

here it was k-mart , and roses.... that was about it for choices.... when you can't drive... lol..... i got in so much trouble wandering off to look for models when my mom would go shopping for groceries ... i reckon i had to be 9, or 10 ? ... i 1st started with those little match box / hot wheels etc cast cars, farm equiptment, some construction equiptment,  then went from there to models ... snaps for Christmas, and birthdays, then went to scale 1/24 glue and testors paints, and glues. 

Ha, I still go look at the models when the wife wants to go to Hobby Lobby.

• Like 1

oh, I'm sure if i went.... I'd head straight for that row, lol! sadly the local hobby lobby closed recently .... and china mart has nothing of intrest. and the model shop that had my 1/24 scale cat dozer went out over 15 years ago... some of the best ones ive seen have been on ebay. 

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 1

My buddy at the flea market made some gate post cavings , I helped him auger the holes with his tractor and set them with that two part foam stuff instead of concrete , that stuff is amazing , it was hard in 5 minutes , 2hours and ready to et the gates , cost $9 a bag , which is about the same as two bags of concrete , but so much less work , faster and less weight be to moving around 

I am thinking of getting him to make me a couple of post , I can get the cut off piles free ----or maybe take a shot at me doing one 

fullsizeoutput_e38.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_e37.jpeg

• Like 3

I collect retro gaming consoles, games and game accessories. I currently have around 15 consoles from an Atari 2600 to a brand new never opened PS1, Sega Genesis to PS4. I couldn't tell you how many games I have for each, I should probably take another inventory. I'll have to find some pictures. 

• Like 4

fish, the 2nd one looks like the trunk was done with a chainsaw .. nicely too. i would like to have some of those at the entrance at my house stock gap, when you talk to him, ask him about the 1st one ... looks like it might be a carving only, I'd like to see more of his work. 

2 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

What foam stuff are you talking about?  Sounds interesting.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

fish, the 2nd one looks like the trunk was done with a chainsaw .. nicely too. i would like to have some of those at the entrance at my house stock gap, when you talk to him, ask him about the 1st one ... looks like it might be a carving only, I'd like to see more of his work. 

Both the owl and the eagle on top the post are carved on to the post , he said the carved post  are harder for him to do because he has to do it while the post is laying down , I told him to dig a hole in his yard to slide the post in while doing his thing 

Here are a few other things he did , that were already posted above 

image.png

• Like 2

I got the wife to take a ride to the bank with me , so I could show her how to do it , LOL , and took her to Hobby Lobby this evening , you'll were talking plastic models , so I had to take a look , WOW , a car or truck model is $29.99 , I can remember them costing like $2.49 -----  they had a few trucks , cars , boats and planes , nothing caught me eye  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

I got the wife to take a ride to the bank with me , so I could show her how to do it , LOL , and took her to Hobby Lobby this evening , you'll were talking plastic models , so I had to take a look , WOW , a car or truck model is $29.99 , I can remember them costing like $2.49 -----  they had a few trucks , cars , boats and planes , nothing caught me eye  

I take a 40% off coupon with me.  I used to print them out until I saw a customer flash their phone.  Now I just download one and save it on the phone.