Fishfiles

Hobbies , Arts and Crafts

I am into re-furb'ing , repurposing things , wood / metal / what ever , got a work station ( 1948 drafting table ) in my office and instead of just watching TV and playing on the internet , I am always working on something , kind of all over the board on what I might try ---- I like wall hangers and running out of space in the house and patio , if I get something I like better than what is already up ,  then swop something out and trade or sell the old at the flea markets ------

I am playing around with a deer skull mount of of some type of epoxy , got it for $5 , looks like Hobby Lobby stuff , the turtle is carved wood  and I think it was a steal at $2 , cleaned it and applied a diluted coat of stain , think it is vintage , should have left it alone , it looks too new , the wood plaques are $1.99 each at Hobby Lobby , so I got $11 into a couple of wall hangers , don't like the stain color much  , going to re-stain them  ----the wife is always tell ing me I should sell some of my projects and make money  , I am like yea right , maybe could get $10 a piece at the flea market and make $9 off the two, then take out the supplies for say $5  and profit  $2 each , $4 for two hours , $2 an hour , could get a better paying job "south de border" in a sweat shop , LOL ---- you got to do it for the pleasure 

another project I got going on is this ship lamp , got it for $10 , was in bad shape , it is old and dirty , broken mast and bow pole , when it comes to tying all the string rigging  it is going to be tedious , but I think I got a spot for this one if it comes out nice , might take the lamp off and go just ship 

my buddy at the flea market bought a 10x30 storage room yesterday and I am going to check out what's he got this morning , says he has tools in the load 

fullsizeoutput_b03.jpeg

3yjLtIFXTiuQcijRqqcVNQ.jpg

• Like 3

Today at the flea market , my buddy got a storage unit yesterday at auction , it was a 10 x 30 and it said it was 3/4 full , lots of junk , but I did find  this killer picture , the glass got broken when they were moving it , so I got it cheap for $15 , the glass is pretty expensive to get cut , but I am sure I can find a frame with a glass in it cheap , this pic is signed and number , I am about to look the guy up and see what it is worth , it looks just like Manchac Pass , Louisiana ,which is the water way between  Lake Ponchartrain to the west into Lake  Maurepas

fullsizeoutput_b0a.jpeg

• Like 1

Guy that done that pic ^ above is Ron Picou , it is a serigraph print , signed  and numbered and goes for $150 , frame about $100 ,  so it is about a $250 pic with some new glass 

Here is another pic I got for $10 , very heavy piece , has an Italian tag on the back , need to research it , might have come from the Vatican City Gift Shop , LOL 

fullsizeoutput_b08.jpeg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

That's the last  supper right ? 

Yes , Last Supper , the corner on the bottom left was buffed up a bit , made that repair with a little epoxy and paint and cleaned it up  ---- some say that it is Mary Magdaline to Jesus's right and that she was Jesus's wife and their child is the Holy Grail and not the chalice , they made a movie about it , The Davinci Code  

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

Yes , Last Supper , the corner on the bottom left was buffed up a bit , made that repair with a little epoxy and paint and cleaned it up  ---- some say that it is Mary Magdaline to Jesus's right and that she was Jesus's wife and their child is the Holy Grail and not the chalice , they made a movie about it , The Davinci Code  

i seen that movie. its worth watching, if your not overloaded with commercials. i have to see the painting again, something looks off. probably me eyes.

From the movie, i gathered Mary was the Holy Grail, and, she was the cup, and, was filled with the bloodline of Jesus..

Edited by LedFTed
same as always

Ted , you are talking about the shrimp trawler pic right  > it is a serigraph pic , my first encounter with one that I knew about  , to see it in person is totally different than the way it looks in the pic , it is like dark chrome 

With all the rain , I been hanging inside , made me a new touchdown bell out of a Abita Beer AndyGator tap handle ( flea market $10 )  with a little drilling and tapping  , hope to be ringing it hard for the up coming  LSU game ----I went to Hobby Lobby and got a sign 50% off for $5 , " Gone Hunting -- Be back soon to go fishing " stuck in on the pool table 

JnPfE0zqR9S7ULrMSV9OJA.jpg

b+Y4tDVbQQy4nzmYbKeo8g.jpg

• Like 1

I picked up this mini cabinet , it was hand made and one off by someone , nice wood and well built , very old and heavy  , not sure of type wood  , might guess mahogany -- got it really cheap at the flea market for $10 , because someone either shot it with a .22 or tried to drill a hole thru the carved top header ( crown ) from the back and blow a 2 inch hole thru it , should have taken a pic messed up , have no clue why or how they did the damage , filled it with Super glue and saw dust , then wood filler in several layers and recarved the lines , and tried to match the stain the best I could ---- the wife already claimed it on me for some things she wants to put in it , it was going to be getting some mini wooden ducks if I would have gotten my way 

Also got a eagle ( to right of case ) free , with both legs , feet and talons broke off in the deal , thinking of getting some real chicken feet from my neighbors next rooster soup thinning of the herd -  LOL , then gluing them real chicken feet on and painting the whole thing  ! ---- he told me the eagle was perfect and a customer must have knocked it over in his shop when he wasn't looking  , if it were unbroken and I seen it I would have give him $10 for it , maybe more , it is very heavy , what ever it is made of , it is like rock ---- if the chicken feet thing don't work out , going to cut the rest of the legs and base off ,  tie a string to him and hang him on the patio like he is flying 

cjae8QncTd+0UXdgHRe6Tw.jpg

• Like 3

A couple of years ago Turbo was given a piece of spalted beech about 5' X 12" X 6". When he got it home it took three of us to carry it around the side of the house. About 18 months later when it had dried out he decided to cut it and found that some of it was quite rotten so he made small rectangles out of the good bits and used them to put a new top on an old table my late mother got for a wedding present. The original table top was veneered and over the years it suffered some damage. 

I attach two pictures, one of the table while it was being repaired and the other of the finished job. I'll let Turbo put up the pictures of his other projects.

Turbo bent the beech edging with a steam bender he made out of a piece of sewer pipe and a wallpaper steamer.

Table top.jpg

Table.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Blue Zulu , that looks real good and being it a family heirloom , makes it more desirable --------  did  you'll ever use epoxy on the top of  wood , makes it like the top of a bar , very deep looking and very durable ----- 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

Blue Zulu , that looks real good and being it a family heirloom , makes it more desirable --------  did  you'll ever use epoxy on the top of  wood , makes it like the top of a bar , very deep looking and very durable ----- 

This table top has been finished with epoxy. Very difficult to do here as our ambient temperatures are quite low. The blue bits are epoxy impregnated with glow in the dark powder.

• Like 1

I seen them use propane torches to smooth it out and take the bubbles out , watched them do my friend's bar room counters and it came out fine , looked 2 inches thick , seen them mix at least 4 - 5 gallon buckets full at a times and three people finishing on it 

• Thanks 1

I hit the flea market early yesterday , a couple of venders open on Thursday and Friday ,  I like signage and found a couple that fit the bill around here fullsizeoutput_b3c.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b3a.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b34.jpeg

• Like 1

This is what Turbo is currently working on in his spare time. The quad is still away with the mechanic. The blowtorch for popping bubbles is in the top left corner. More spalted beech.

January 2020.jpg

Edited by Bluezulu49
To identify wood type.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Looking good Bluezulu ---------  I think I would have toggle switched that fan 

A follow on from Blue's post.. the round table was my first real go at using clear coat epoxy. I added a glow powder to both coats and ots amazing how it glows in the dark!

I'm almost finished the colourful square one Blue posted above, then I have a slightly bigger one to make up for my best friend who got married last year (yes, a late wedding present but the wait will be worth it for them)!

Here's a few snaps of the other tables I did..the rectangle shaped one is Evergreen Holm Oak, with 3x dovetail keys to stop a crack from opening that was initially non existent before it left the garage! The heat in the house opened it up, so I filled the crack with epoxy then lightly stained the top with linseed oil.

The final few photos show me milling a Douglas fir that blew down in a storm some years ago. 2 years later we needed to replace some long foot bridges and so i split them down the middle to get 2 out of 1. The short milling piece was a chestnut tree that was dangerously overhanging an old garden wall, my climber friend helped me safely take it down over 2 days and I got some planks for all our effort!

Screenshot_20200118-183501_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20200118-183404_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20200118-183457_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20200118-183527_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20200118-183513_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20200118-183506_Photos.jpg

• Like 5

bluezulu , pretty slick how you made that cut straight with the guide set up on side the log ,  that is some big time crafts there ------ how long do you think that entire cut took ?? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

bluezulu , pretty slick how you made that cut straight with the guide set up on side the log ,  that is some big time crafts there ------ how long do you think that entire cut took ?? 

Fish, that was me in the photo. I have a Stihl MS661 and had a 30 inch bar on it with a 10° milling chain. It took about 20 minutes of flat out run time to cut that log about 16ft long. It was about 25 inches at the widest part. We cut 2 trunks to get 4 bridges.

• Like 3

Fish, if you have a milling chain, it flies through end grain like a got knife through butter!

I tend to have to resharpen after about 15 linear metres of cuts though as its the hardest pressured cut on a chainsaw. I have 3 chains total so I just swap them out on site and resharpen them at home the next day. It's very satisfying work.

• Like 3

I picked up a cool , all wood , wall hanger today for $15 , it is not a Hobby Lobby deal , has a label on the rear , think it must be a real light house in Massachusetts 

zLNTWIyARcaXAyvXMptO4g.jpg

9 hours ago, TBRider said:

How mich for the air mover in the background.....

I think that one was about $249 at Home Depot -----