Fishfiles

Hobbies , Arts and Crafts

On 1/20/2020 at 4:44 AM, Turbo Twister said:

Fish, that was me in the photo. I have a Stihl MS661 and had a 30 inch bar on it with a 10° milling chain. It took about 20 minutes of flat out run time to cut that log about 16ft long. It was about 25 inches at the widest part. We cut 2 trunks to get 4 bridges.

Very cool.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fish, looks like we both like old stuff.

My den has odds and ends in it that kids love, and my wife rolls her eyes at.

Vendo 39 Coke machine that sat in the church basement for years.  In the early 90's they decided to get rid of it and gave it to me.

Mills War Eagle nickel slot machine.  Found this in my grandad's shop.  Was locked up.  Back before ATV's, marriage, and kids I sent it off to a guy named Rich DeLong and had him restore it.  Works great now.

PT19 propeller.  My grandfather ran a flight school for most of WW2 before getting shipped off to fly B29's off of Tinian.  He had a couple of PT19 props that had prop strikes but didn't look bad.  He gave one to the local American Legion, and the other is on my den wall.

I've finally started hanging signs up on the shop walls too.  Need to get some pics of that now since it actually looks like a shop again.   Picked up a couple of beer signs a month or two ago.  Have a "Lite on tap" neon above my kegerator too, although I haven't bought a keg in a while.

coke machine.jpg

war eagle.jpg

PT19.jpg

• Like 3

Jeep , I don't know why but I never seen your post ^ or got alerted to it till this morning 

Does your Coke machine work ?? It is cool 

A plane or air boat prop is something  I would like to have 

I had two perfect Mills slots one was a $.05 that were my Dad's , they got flooded in Katrina , they were a mess internally , I started to keep them and think about refub'ing , but threw them in the trash container , which I have come to regret as I could have at least made it into a non-function piece ---- I lost so much stuff in the storm/flood 

I missed out on that Pagsta motorcycle last weekend for $200 , finally got to talk with the guy that had it yesterday and it was sold , I did a lot of research on  Johnny Pagsta  who built them , Harley sued him , he had to stop building them , Harley owns the rights but don't support them , they sold for about $2,500 when new and they are street legal  

Collecting the 4 Os is my real hobby  = old , odd + one off ,  I like to refurb or repurpose what I find 

I have a buddy at the flea market , he is a good dude , military vet with a family , carpenter by trade and filling in on the weekends selling stuff at the market , I have learned he is suffering for the after war trauma ( PSD or what ever they call it ) , he never welded in his life and I helped him along , the reason he wanted to learn is he wanted to get into creating art with metal to sell at his shop , so I have been pumping him with scraps of steel I find on the jobs  , his welding is getting better and his creativity is really taken a leap , Friday I gave him some gears and he had a Steam Punk night table made from the pieces for sale yesterday morning 

cAEiPKKuT2+My1v%0Opa6g.jpg

• Like 1

Oh man Fish, I hate that you tossed those things.  Getting one restored is pricey, but worth it.

I just looked and the man who restored mine passed away in 2018, but his son is continuing in the business.  They carved old Tobacco store Indians and similar figures to hold the antique slots.  Really neat stuff.

https://www.facebook.com/ranzoni1/

Coke machine cooled back in the 90's the last time I tried it. Didn't get cold, but did get cool.  I haven't tried plugging it in since then.  Those little cokes are pricey, I don't Cokes often, and the dang kids will guzzle them down one after another, not to mention it's one more thing drawing on my electric bill. 

And good on you for helping out the Vet with welding.  We ran a clinic here for several years under contract with the VA.  I knew PTSD was an issue, but didn't realize just how many of our guys it affects. 

• Like 1

Meguiar's headlight polish , before and after , hand scrub pad with compound , then a aerosol spray , about 45 minutes for both sides 

fullsizeoutput_b5d.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b5c.jpeg

• Like 3

Have you ever tried tooth paste on the weathered lights @Fishfiles? I read about it long ago and tried it in a small area and it seemed to work but never did a complete light.

• Like 2

Just now, toodeep said:

Have you ever tried tooth paste on the weathered lights @Fishfiles? I read about it long ago and tried it in a small area and it seemed to work but never did a complete light.

No , I have not tried or heard about toothpaste -----

I was thinking this Meguiar's might be good for a display screen like my 450 ---I did the 450 screen a few years back with the sand paper /compound method and it was OK , starting to fog up again  

On 2/3/2020 at 10:16 AM, jeepwm69 said:

I knew PTSD was an issue, but didn't realize just how many of our guys it affects. 

I can imagine coming back from war has to be hard ---- 

4 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

No , I have not tried or heard about toothpaste -----

I was thinking this Meguiar's might be good for a display screen like my 450 ---I did the 450 screen a few years back with the sand paper /compound method and it was OK , starting to fog up again  

• Like 2

that was scary to start with the razor blade ---came out really good ---- wonder how long  it last ??? 

the Meguair's kit comes with a protective clear coating that you put a couple of coats on 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fishfiles said:

that was scary to start with the razor blade ---came out really good ---- wonder how long  it last ??? 

the Meguair's kit comes with a protective clear coating that you put a couple of coats on 

Well that's Don Oglesby doing the video, and he's a rider, so I'd say it's unlikely that he'd steer you wrong.

I'm going to try it on the kid's 350 Rancher this spring. 

I've done the razor blade thing many times just to get the readings from the speedometer for repair orders. I just spray some SC1 on them when done but they don't last long since I don't go through all the steps. I've used the Novus with mixed results. Most of the machines I see sit outside 24/7 so many of the screens are weathered. The razor blade gets you down to a workable surface pretty fast though when they are bad.

• Like 3

Very nice Turbo Twister .... is that drips of epoxy all over the place inside the house !!!! 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Very nice Turbo Twister .... is that drips of epoxy all over the place inside the house !!!! 

Just on the cardboard Fish! My mother would be on my case otherwise!

I done my 4500 Dodge head lights , these were in a bit worst condition and has some inner problems , but still came out good , and I have enough to do another vehicle , maybe the wife's 

uN7VtCyhTzmQjsyzOOLHEg.jpg

fullsizeoutput_b6f.jpeg

• Like 1

Seeing at Night

I picked up some of them Clear  Vision sunglasses as seen on TV ,  they are  also suppose to help at night by taking out glare , they came in today , they had $12.99 on the price tag on the boxes , I got 3 pair for $20 with the shipping , one for the wife and one for each of my trucks , I hope they help out , cause I was having a hard time at night , they need to repaint the lines on these country roads , so dinner tonight I get to try it out for the first time , $90 head light bulbs , cleaned and polished head light covers and Night Vision sunglasses , LOL ------ I forgot to do my fog lights , need to go check them out 

I did get to drive with them Clear Vision glasses today and they do light things up and bring out some color 

• Like 3

I hate driving at night, especially in the rain. 

Let us know how those things do.

Sounds like the yellow shooting glasses I wear sometimes when we ride at night. 

55 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

I hate driving at night, especially in the rain. 

Let us know how those things do.

Sounds like the yellow shooting glasses I wear sometimes when we ride at night. 

Cleaning the plastic lens of the headlights made a unbelievable improvement , even the wife was surprised  ---- the new high powered bulbs make a big difference ----the as seen on TV Clear Vision glasses ,  are junk as far as night time goes , sure they make the glare go away , but you can't see anything any ways , it is like wearing sun glasses at night ---- these have yellow in them but are 3 colors like tri-focals 

• Thanks 1

they had a piece of red roads in Ocala Florida in mid 70s, reduced glare , easy to see at night. had a ford pinto at the time.

After finishing off that epoxy table I showed you guys a few weeks back, I gave it to a couple, really good friends of mine. They loved it! And their 4 kids were amazed when they realised it glows in the dark!

The attached photos are of another table I started a while back but got held up finishing due to the cold weather. I painted the legs with undercoat earlier and gave the top a good sanding for a final flood coat of epoxy, which is also done. Hope to assemble it all and give it to my newly wed friends. Then I have a final table to do, a beer bottle cap table top with epoxy resin.

20200308_174247.jpg

IMG_20200308_182313.jpg

• Like 4

5 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

That's really nice ! What type wood was used ? 

For the herringbone style effect, I used spalted beech. I scraped off the rotten bits and filled the voids with coloured epoxy.

The edge strip is white ash.

The legs are from another table I bought last year, beech with cats paw type legs. I removed the top as I disliked it so I'm in the middle of painting it gloss white before screw the above top to it.

Unfortunately it looks like the top coat didn't set good last night so I'll have to recoat it😓

• Like 1

My latest adventure , a new top for my old beat up desk , trimmed a sheet of 3/4 birch veneer plywood with 1x2 trim , ebony stain for the black out look , the pic is miss leading , it is still wet with the 4th coat , need to take it out side and sand it one more time then a 5th coat and it should be smooth , don't tell the wife I vanished it on the table in the house , she slept by her Dad's house - LOL 

GiZ2HDf8SLyVF7hC4XOH5w.jpg

• Like 2