Fishfiles

Hobbies , Arts and Crafts

I've scrolled through this entire thread, and stopped to read on occasion.  You all have some interesting hobbies, glad you are sharing them here.  I look forward to seeing more.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

But would they stamp steel, or just softer metals?

My handwriting is horrible.  I can't imagine what it would look like if I tried to use that engraver Fish posted, although for a normal person that might be the way to go.

I stamped a HF trailer with them.  Don't know how they would hold up to a very hard steel but for mild steel they do fine.

• Like 1

I have multiple sized number and letter punch sets , like mentioned they work great  on mild steel or  aluminum and brass , but don't work on well at all on  hardened steel , I have tried to use them to mark multiple bank control valve sections  and hydraulic pump sections when disassembling , it doesn't leave much of a mark on the metal and dulls the punches quick 

• Like 2

Hit my buddy Karl's going out of business sale , picked a carved eagle for $20 , he was at $75 for eagles , not the coolest eagle but folk art for sure  --------- he told me all his signs were $10 , so I got him to sell me his "OPEN " sign for $10 , he wasn't ready for that ----   the wife loves the open sign , very colorful and it flashes different patterns ,  just got to find that right spot for it ------   also got a real cool flag pole for $5 , which is really a dock tender for a boat on a wharf , going to drill that into the bricks on side the house or maybe a porch pole 

mQDcvRVmQb6dXcmjc2cmpw.jpg

2jeKmZ%dQOWLJlXfBBEDkA.jpg

• Like 2

I made a good score today , a whiskey keg  , plan is to pressure wash it , sand it and apply some stain and poly-urethane , seen one at the local restaurant and then put my new concrete painted Indian  statue that I scored this weekend  on top of it , think I am going to give him a skin color change ----  country general store theme 

picked up a unused pressure washer hose reel still in the box this weekend for $45 , see them at Northern Hydraulics for $129.99 , just rigged it up on the pressure washer cart , guy and his wife get pallets of stuff from Northern and sell the stuff at the local flea market ----I had that reel under the handle , but it sure is easier to reel in on top 

1QMQ6Z8nRPyXycp3pARjZA.jpg

4vErfofpSnmoZdkK+NzpCg.jpg

2DRkohOoR7OflfMKbelz4g.jpg

• Like 3

gave the whiskey barrel a pressure washing yesterday , it is still wet in the pic , think it is going to look pretty cool as it is , might not stain and pol coat it , eagle hopped over there and seemed to like it 

hYZXh3wnSuaNLbTBcez7KQ.jpg

• Like 3

Do you have Walnut trees that far south?  I crush the hulls and boil up a batch of stain for the log home.  It will wash off after a month or so but is cheap and easy to do and if mixed with borate helps preserve the wood.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 56Sierra said:

Do you have Walnut trees that far south?  I crush the hulls and boil up a batch of stain for the log home.  It will wash off after a month or so but is cheap and easy to do and if mixed with borate helps preserve the wood.

I don't think we got too many walnuts down here , a lot of pecan .... I have heard of people using coffee grinds as stain -----  I have a can of MinWax Aged Barrel which looks kind of grayish in the pic  ---- I seen a barrel at a store in lacombe , they poly-urethanded the barrel  and it looked really good , but shiney  --- but I am liking the flat look , when it drys  out , it is going to look better 

This project finally got finished , had bought a bell at the flea market and could not  find a place to mount it , the other day I was on a demo job and there was some heavy duty pipe on a fence gate , I'd say schedule 80 , so I grab tow pieces and threw them in my truck  always can use some pipe for making thens , found that pipe fit the base I have gotten from a gymnasium demo , it was a valley ball net base , been looking for the right pipe for the base for a while , welded up a bracket to the pipe to mount the bell too , just need some better rope as that yellow rope looks bogus --- it is loud 

Vy5NjawKThyadJ1dvMn8OQ.jpg

nice score! i have one kind of like that, but weathered some, I'm sure it's a collectible item, but i can't see myself turning loose of it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

nice score! i have one kind of like that, but weathered some, I'm sure it's a collectible item, but i can't see myself turning loose of it. 

I have a bad habit of wanting to refresh and paint things , I think sometimes it is better to leave things as they are with it's natural patina 

here is a port hole clock I bought at the flea market a couple of weeks back , going to leave it as it is , one small stain on the brass at 12 o'clock , thought it was hand made till I searched it , found the same clock on e-bay and was shocked at the asking price and shipping ,  I stole this one by that price on e-bay , liked it so much I  moved some thing off the wall of my office to hang it , came out another log cabin here in Lacombe 

JKk4uDJqTwS6u7KLY3tzQg.jpg

fullsizeoutput_ebe.jpeg

• Like 2

@56Sierra

We got a Grand Opening of a new store  tomorrow , see they got $5.6 mill worth of models , might have some planes 

fullsizeoutput_ede.jpeg

• Like 1

Finally got the wife to start letting me hang stuff on the living room wall , it had been out of bounds forever    -----    I found this double rigger at the flea market  ,  it's a wooden hull with steel dock and rigging  , there was a couple of buildings made of sheet metal in the back round on the dock , didn't like them much , so cut them off , touched it up with some paint , this is something she liked , sold her on the colors match the room  -------     also  this past weekend we got a great deal on some fish prints , they are signed and numbered , looked them up and they cost $169 each when they were new ,  the lady told me $5 each or $8 for both  , wife's  angel statue in the pic has to go , shhh 

Xq8GCL8JQMiK7PDCMBy6Lg.jpg

itnYEqb8SiSjghZuz%56pw.jpg

hCN3Jh4cQ5e7u4FXOiHUNg.jpg

• Haha 1

Been a while since I posted something in here , picked up this wicked little statue of a troll or hillbilly , lol , looked very old and funky , and I should have probably never refurb'ed it , but I did , looks kind of cool , wife doesn't like it much 

MgAEiLnYRYu1VuYFO2ZHMQ.jpg

fullsizeoutput_f6b.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

interesting...... i have a wood carving of my grandfather in his football gear, eh.... it looks KIND of like that...... i havent thought of that carving for a couple years... I'll have to post some pics, say the wife didnt like what you came home with ?? 

whats the story with the skull in the 2nd pic.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

interesting...... i have a wood carving of my grandfather in his football gear, eh.... it looks KIND of like that...... i havent thought of that carving for a couple years... I'll have to post some pics, say the wife didnt like what you came home with ?? 

whats the story with the skull in the 2nd pic.

Skull was a flea market find years ago , it's on top a file cabinet  , wife don't like that either , LOL 

• Haha 1

I would like to see your grandfather in football gear carving 

Here is a Polynesian wood carved surfer I have not found the right spot for yet , wife don't like that one other  

It is pretty amazing that the troll looks like my neighbor , going to have to get a pic of him , I am definitely going to show him and his wife the figure , cause it is uncanny 

fullsizeoutput_f6f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_f71.jpeg

• Like 1

well...... dont tell her, but i like it, my pop has a real cow skull with horns, all cleaned / bleached....what ever the taxidermist had to do to clean it up, it use to be hanging on the new garage up next to the big house, but they've moved it, most likely ..... her granddaughter didnt like it, long story of why my pop and my stepmother ended up adopting Haley (Janet's sons daughter) sad story, but she has me and my sisters now etc etc ....she's a good kid too...she's now riding horses, i might leave her one of my bikes at my end. 

soon as i dig it up, I'll be sure and post pics, it's not really much to brag on, but the reason...... when he started teaching / coaching i was told one of his students / players  made it for him, but I'm not sure on that, i was also told he played high s hool football under the early years of Mr. Bear Bryant...... but i have no pics or proof. i don't even know (never was told) where Bear Bryant coached high school sports (football) . 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

i was also told he played high school football under the early years of Mr. Bear Bryant...... but i have no pics or proof. i don't even know (never was told) where Bear Bryant coached high school sports (football) . 

I found this

Bryant served in the Navy, on the U.S.S. Uruguay, before becoming the head coach of a preflight training school football team in North Carolina. When the war ended, Bryant was named head coach at Maryland. The Terrapins went 6-2-1 in 1945, but Bryant resigned after the season because he deemed the school's president as meddlesome.

• Thanks 1

thanks, I'm sure going to look into this, my grandfather was in military, I've been told the army branch, but also told he was a radio operator / mechanic in the Air Force..... i had asked him a couple times about his experience during his time in......and, he wouldn't EVER talk about it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

well...... dont tell her, but i like it, my pop has a real cow skull with horns, all cleaned / bleached....what ever the taxidermist had to do to clean it up, it use to be hanging on the new garage up next to the big house, but they've moved it, most likely ..... her granddaughter didnt like it, long story of why my pop and my stepmother ended up adopting Haley (Janet's sons daughter) sad story, but she has me and my sisters now etc etc ....she's a good kid too...she's now riding horses, i might leave her one of my bikes at my end. 

soon as i dig it up, I'll be sure and post pics, it's not really much to brag on, but the reason...... when he started teaching / coaching i was told one of his students / players  made it for him, but I'm not sure on that, i was also told he played high s hool football under the early years of Mr. Bear Bryant...... but i have no pics or proof. i don't even know (never was told) where Bear Bryant coached high school sports (football) . 

Bear Bryant was from Arkansas originally.  I like to mention that to the bama folks.  Really irritates them LOL

• Haha 2

well......lol! yeah your one for the books jeep.....BUT! y'all lost him to Alabama..... wow! you and my ex GF would get along real good.... lol! she'd have you stuffed and mounted over the fire place.... if you said ome bad word about bama.... i couldn't be around when she watched college football....screaming and throwing things at the tv ?? talk about crazy..... even her parents were leery of her when college football was on...... recall ? this is one who dyed me pink,and shaved my head blad and beard off!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1