Fishfiles

Hobbies , Arts and Crafts

Well...... To continue from this morning after seeing that turkey with tan lines on the what the !!!! Thread, oh and thank  you fish.... For derailing my train of thought ...... Lol!!! That was gooood!!!.... I can say this, i will never again think of thanksgiving without that image poping up in my head..... Anyways ..... For  you fellas that mess around and have knowledge of drones.... I'm looking for one thats not rediciously expensive ..... And comes with a camra that transmits a live feed.... And also a memory card.... I don't know much about these at all... But one would be VERY useful in my circumstance..... I believe i will still have to deal with people trespass hunting....and one like ive described would be just perfect to catch some of those hunters.... The reason i don't care to spend very much is because more then likely it will be shot at .....so I'm needing 1st hand accounts of what some of you drone owners like and dislike, speed, battery life/flying time / camras .... Just about any advise / opinions i can get.

thanks T.R.W. 

• Like 1

my drone experience is dated..got into it a bit early...but the wife was the one that wanted one.

it was an earlier model Hubson that offered the Return to Home feature, as well as a go-pro style camera on a remote controllable mount (gimble option makes it smoother)  but at least while you hover you can do a look-around.

back then, the rig was pushing the $800 mark... I think it was worth about half that.

and battery life never approached the 45 mins advertised... we could enjoy 20 mins or so before it was flashing that we best get it back to the ground.

The wife got very frustrated as it would seem to loose it's mind at times, and would wind up in a tree someplace.

she also was bad about coming straight down too quickly..so it would toilet bowl and loose it and crash.

I upgraded the prop blades and it made all the difference on that.  But I had to loose the blade guards..which is fine with me, but she gets so nervous.

Anyway, it's sat in the box for the past 4 years...she lost interest in it...and it's her unit...but I should get it back out and have some fun....wouldn't really recommend it for anyone..even on a budget

the other unit I have is in the selfi-drone class...bout the size of a pregnant smart phone..with the fold out rotor arms.

hand launch and land, etc...works with my iphone or her android..nice thing is you can opt for joystick style or move your phone to fly.

unlike some later models, this one is stout enough to do ok in a light breeze, the camera is fixed with the ability to angle the veritical before you launch..but after that, you'll have to aim the drone, rather than seperately control the camera.

again, it was great to have it on road trips..but now the laws are so bad that it eliminates most places we'd like to fly for some quick pics...ie Blue Ridge parkway and other nationals, etc.

so it also has not seen light of day since before Covid.

• Thanks 1

forgot to mention the selfie drone is the Dobby by Zero Tech...has a good brain and was a nice advance from the earlier Hubsan

here's one of many youtubes on the little wonder.

A 4K GPS Drone in your Pocket - The Zerotech Dobby - Full Unbox & Review - YouTube

you are likley looking for a much more capable drone, but just as it is with a carry pistol...the big one tends to get left at the house, when you want that quick birds-eye view...the Dobby can stay in a little back, ready to pop up and take a look about.

• Like 2

Thank you, i believe range is going to be my biggest issue.... In my thinking the longer range the higher priced upper class model ? So range is going to the 1st  issue for me.... Another is , it's going to need to be a remote controled operated drone.... I'll have tofigure.... Over a l000 feet -+  with hilly terrain .... I like the camra idea...I'd like to have a descent light .....doesn't have to be the suns little brother like in the video  in the what is this part thread.... And! I'm sure i can think of a few more options, and a BUNCH more uses for  one..... But being (no joke) shot at .... I can't see spending even close $400 for one....i just don't know yet, what i do know is, some of the hunters here get the fever really bad.... Heck ive even been shot at  in woods before while doing firewood.....and my neighbor, dale and Stacey have a bullet hole in the side of three home..... And their right across the road from me.....and  I'd like add yeah some of the videos I've viewed have had comments about how strick THE MAN is getting about drone use issues. 

most units...even in that budget range these days have GPS Return to Home feature, so even if they go out of your line of sight, and if their battery reaches a certain low point, they will automatically go into RTH mode..you just sit there and wait for the little whirl to come spinning back over the hill.

I've watched mine return and land on the pizza box I launched it from.

as for property surveillance?  yeah, if they are already willing to trespass, poach, etc...they likely won't hesitate to take a shot at your bird.

we aren't on that many acres.  I cover my trespass issues with cell trail cams..15 seconds from trigger to notification on my phone.  then I can decide what to do about it.

but the time it takes to prep a drone...not an immediate response tool.

fun to fly, and some fun video/pics.  but that's about it for me.

had a neighbor who got into it pro...mostly real estate...went from weekend to full time. But his rigs were another level...and he was licensed at that level as well.

I hear ya.. I just ordered new seat covers for my golf cart...long overdue..but ouch!  $ !

my wife tends to see cool gadets and want to get into a hobby.

I'm usually happy to dump the $ as it gives me some leeway when I come home with another guitar or gun, etc (grin).

her spare room/office is litered wit 3D printers, the drones, camera gear and these days it's astro-photography...so telescope, tracking mount, etc etc.

I should make some time over the Christmas break to get out back and play with the drones...it's fun..some of the grandkids are old enough now to enjoy them as well without risk to the units.

• Like 1

Price is .. Not really why i have to delay this descission .... I'll just say something un expected....... Sigh..... I'll get into more detail in the near future. 

Well...... I did find another drone idea.... ......and being I've been run  off of open station tractors by those stinging / biting suckers... (looking for a body of water to dive off into, or even a passing car) This idea.....im NOT willing to chance....and the narration of that video is just about perfect..... Lol! 

• Like 3

that lil Mav held up better than  I expected.. I would hit it with a larger drone..but yeah man I hate the hornets and wasps.

• Like 1

I was given this metal Budweiser Armed Forces sign , it was really big , no where to put it , I really liked the Bow Tie Budweiser on the top , so cut it up with a razor knife and a straight edge and found a spot it fit 

fullsizeoutput_10a9.jpeg

• Like 1

Got myself into another hobby since winters are so long. You'd think I could find something cheap to do.  

This one is more expensive than the airplanes I have 😕.

But a lot of fun and can take it along without taking up much room. Wings take up a lot of space.  Been fun to add upgrades. Amazing how realistic it is when crawling slow, has locking front and rear differentials,  2 speed  transmission. High speed  setting it will lift the front end off the carpet and wheelie for 4 or 5 ft. Amazing traction even in and on snow.

Been fun to add upgrades and accessories. 

20230131_212847.jpg

20230131_213600.jpg

20230205_165420.jpg

20230205_165850.jpg

• Like 4

Just got done making this crate for the roof rack, have some other accessories coming. Then when you think you got it handled,  you find out they make 1/24th scale as well.🤯

20230207_110739.jpg

20230207_110742.jpg

20230207_110746.jpg

20230207_192410.jpg

20230207_192416.jpg

20230207_192614.jpg

20230206_173039.jpg

• Like 3

Great detail! ...... Even the worn edge of the shovel.... I won't ask.... But looks rather a pricy hobby, but even at price i could get into that we used to have a hobby center in columbia years ago..... Sundays theyed have races... And it's  hard to believe how fast some of those rigs were... I'd say close to 65 mph... But i know they now have some that reach speeds of 100 mph give or take.... Hard to believe something that small and fast doesnt take flight .... By the way ..... What is a camel trophy ?! 

• Like 1

Was a pretty amazing competition. 

These little RC trucks like mine are really slow, mine has a top speed of about 17 mph in the high range of the speed setting. Object is to crawl and see what you can make it over and through.  I'm  kind of a wimp with mine,  even though the radio and motor are totally water proof I won't do it, don't want to deal with bearing issues down the road. Will run it in snow when it's well below freezing, snow won't melt and stick to anything. Little hard on the fingers though,  these pics were taken in front of the house was -26, hands lasted about 5 minutes at a pop. Amazing tra tion on the frozen snow and ice.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camel_Trophy

20230129_154458.jpg

20230129_154315.jpg

• Like 3

Basic truck is around $550, with upgrades I'm putting in and have already put on in nearing 1k. Kind of stupid I guess,  but have an older brother that bought one first and his health isn't that great. He's 14 yrs my senior so didn't have much of a relationship with him in younger years. He was a lot of miles away from me in my adult years and moved within 5 blocks from me about 4 years ago. Figure this is a great opportunity spend time with him. Looking forward to this summer. He also bought a Can Am 2up so we go riding with he and his bride. Am loving getting to know him. This along with riding is something he can do that isn't to physically taxing on him. It's worth the $$$$ in my book to spend time with him.

Edited by Freedomflyer
  • Like 3