Fishfiles

Hobbies , Arts and Crafts

I guess my real hobby is refurbishing things , did a barter deal with a guy for a commercial kitchen stainless table for the patio , he had about 10 of them at his shop from a demo job he done , been on him for a couple of years now and his machine broke and I got it for about an hour of work and 1/2 hour drive , I'd bet his table new would be astronomically priced if you were to buy it new and 1/2 the thickness and quaility material as a magnet won't stick to any part of it  , I should have taken a better before pic as I cleaned the top before I took a pic , the top looked like the bottom shelf , used a 4 1/2 grinder with a green scuffer pad , awesome tool for the job , then some stainless cleaner/polish  , one more polishing it will look good , been wanting one to prep food on for boiling and frying  parties , there is a drawer that has to be put back on under the top , I changed the wheels with some cheap Harbor Freight wheels as they were rusted up in the  bearings , this is some good quality old school stainless  and should last many more years than I got left in me 

It would make a nice table top to work on atv engines or what not , LOL 

+kYZhFPrSpqv%krdmpd0TA.jpg

aUc3bCy%QDiAWui2L9Uikw.jpg

• Like 3

Well I redid the coat on that table and came out with a similar result!

Fortunately my friend who is receiving it actually likes the effect so I guess it'll stay as is!

I have started my next project which will be a beer bottle cap table top, for this I had to make a steam box to steam bend some beech wood. It's made from Laminated red deal pine, with a hinged lid at the upper end, 3 holes at the lower end on the bottom side to allow water out, a hole in the side to allow excess steam out and a hole on top to put the hose from the wall paper steamer in.

Excuse the wonky dowels in the steam box, it's deliberate, to allow moisture run off the sides of the items to be bent). I got 2 bends done yesterday and the first one glued, clamped and pinned into place today. (Things are a bit boring this week as the Covid 19 is putting a downer on a lot of things here).

I also started to paint the trailer sides with some black oxide paint but was unable to photograph them as I had gloves on, I'll get some snaps next time I'm out there. I had intended to paint it red to match the quad but we have some black paint leftover from another project so I will save a few bob there.. I could be told I've no work after tomorrow if the virus gets any worse so I can I suppose complete the trailer and quad items that need addressing. Stay safe all!

20200313_202326.jpg

20200314_152812.jpg

20200314_153915.jpg

20200314_153923.jpg

20200314_154911.jpg

Snapchat-1626303079.jpg

• Like 3

Nice job on the table , Turbo !! Looking forward to see your newest project ...

• Thanks 1

I finished my new desk top with 5 coats of polyurethane , should have sanded it one more time  and went  6 coats ---- What do you think is the best product to put on the deck top , now that it is finished , like a wax or protectorate  

fullsizeoutput_b9d.jpeg

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I finished my new desk top with 5 coats of polyurethane , should have sanded it one more time  and went  6 coats ---- What do you think is the best product to put on the deck top , now that it is finished , like a wax or protectorate  

fullsizeoutput_b9d.jpeg

Unfortunately it never stays perfect for long when you start putting items on a finished surface! You could wax and polish it, lately I've seen a lot of people using Odies Oil over there, mainly on natural timber to pull out the grain texture, but I don't see why you couldn't use it there too?

• Like 1

Fish: nice desk. My daughter has a 100 year old black walnut dinning room table. she has  had good luck with a couple of coats of Johnson's past wax applied about twice a year.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, shrade said:

Fish: nice desk. My daughter has a 100 year old black walnut dinning room table. she has  had good luck with a couple of coats of Johnson's past wax applied about twice a year.

Thanks Shrade.  I had a can of that Johnson wax in my hand at depot this evening And at the last second went with Weiman cabinet shine. Figured I can do the kitchen cabinets also never tried it before.  I was watching the guy at the flea market clean a old table Saturday with Howard’s cleaner for wood.  For old funky wood this stuff is great.  It has bee wax and orange in it. Wipe it on and it cleans and oils deep.  

I am familiar with Howard's Feed and Wax, used  it on old wood decoys I  used to collect  back in the day. Sure did brighten up the old paint.

• Like 2

the tables are great turbo. Fish your desk looks great also. I have no real hobbies other than riding my four wheeler or fishing. I just bought 2 new Lew's reels wife is still complaining. Bahaha gets me out of the house though

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/5/2020 at 10:16 AM, toodeep said:

I've done the razor blade thing many times just to get the readings from the speedometer for repair orders. I just spray some SC1 on them when done but they don't last long since I don't go through all the steps. I've used the Novus with mixed results. Most of the machines I see sit outside 24/7 so many of the screens are weathered. The razor blade gets you down to a workable surface pretty fast though when they are bad.

Ever tried this on a 500 screen @toodeep?

The 06 500ES (yellow bike) is running good and about ready to flip.  The right front CV axle is popping a bit so I'm going to replace it, change the fluid in the diffs, and it will be ready to go. 

That said, the screen has a bunch of hazing/tiny scratches.  I tried a little rubbing compound and it helped a little, but not a lot.

I have been busy the last few days with some woodwork. I spent 6 hours on the table saw yesterday ripping down Iroko slips and mitring them along with a load of plywood blocks. I made up the frames of 41 coasters for beer glasses, I'm still gluing the caps down before I epoxy resin them all in place.

I also finally got started making the bottle cap table top which is looking pretty good so far!

20200415_173757.jpg

20200414_124047.jpg

20200414_164602.jpg

20200414_175700.jpg

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

theat bottle cap table is looking nice ... i take it, it's going to have a glass cover ? 

No glass, I don't like the idea of something that can smash if it falls over, specially with kids around.

I'm going to epoxy resin the top once I fill in the centre piece with an engraved circle of hardwood, this will sit up about 1/2inch higher than the caps. I have yet to make it, something to do another day I guess. I'm still gluing up the caps for the coasters!

15869755761298859076635276341976.jpg

• Like 1

I was looking at a video yesterday , the guy had 3 inch nails in a bar stool and covered them in epoxy , so it looked like you were going to sit on nails  

• Haha 3

i gotcha .... I'm looking forward to another project ... that wood table would bring some big money over here in the states ... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, _Wilson_™ said:

i gotcha .... I'm looking forward to another project ... that wood table would bring some big money over here in the states ... 

The coasters will keep me busy for a while!😂 I might get back to the mower tomorrow for a change of scenery.

Yeah those river tables make a decent amount of money too, there isn't a big enough market for them here and usually the table is built to the clients requirements, but I prefer to do my own thing and if people dont like them they can do one lol

Edited by Turbo Twister
Edit
  • Like 2

On 3/16/2020 at 8:44 PM, jeffo21 said:

the tables are great turbo. Fish your desk looks great also. I have no real hobbies other than riding my four wheeler or fishing. I just bought 2 new Lew's reels wife is still complaining. Bahaha gets me out of the house though

Jeff. You got the best two hobbies to have 4 wheelers and fishing.  Don’t get much better than that.  

Love wood working. This is a Work bench I made a few years back. Made the vise also. All of it is from Red Oak except the top which I laminated 2 pieces of 3/4” MDF together. It is assembled in only 6 pieces and held together with 4 carriage bolts. It can be disassembled in about 3 minutes for easy transport if need since it is so heavy. Vise is mounted with a single bolt. 

382DD3E1-8022-478C-B597-25CD4B59B0E6.jpeg

66462B9E-ED8C-4B18-8533-F8213810E862.jpeg

605D3600-372C-4D25-ABA9-9A7BDFFFA0B3.jpeg

• Like 4

My current projects during this pandemic to stay busy. The slab of Burrell I plan to mount a fish or antlers on it someday. Wood on the folding fillet knife is from the same oak Burrell as the slab. No stain on it yet. 

A1AB14A7-729E-48CC-BDEA-E8FF2C282EF9.jpeg

31725F16-ED10-4452-A7EB-82993967E4C3.jpeg

Edited by 01RUBY500
  • Like 2

That is some good looking knives , you should apply for Forged in Fire 

nice!! have ever worked with osage orange ? aka bodark .ive got some giants growing on my place ... sadly most around here don't have any use for them at all ..... except fence post and fire wood.. but IMO it's a very beautiful colored  grain.

image.jpg

• Like 4