Fishfiles

Hobbies , Arts and Crafts

Good job on the sand box, Like the cover, will keep it from being the neighborhood "cat box".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Last weekend I got a old horse drawn John Deer 488 plow and a farm bell , didn't know w it was a Deer till I cleaned it up ,  cleaned them up and painted them , trashed some of the bent up brackets of the plow , and going to either mount the bell on top the plow looking like a big fish hook  or mount it on that pole concreted into the  ground 

x2F3RaIAQVSdx629H1CAgg.jpg

IL0qIldkQB+4pIXopB%LsA.jpg

• Like 1

I started building a cabinet to upgrade the TV on the patio from a 32 to a 50 inch , the TV is going to mount to the wall with a wall mount at the top of the cabinet and those feet on the base of the TV will come off , the space left on the bottom of the TV will be for the receiver , speakers channel controller and such , I didn't want to make it out of plywood , got a table saw but didn't want to deal with a sheet of plywood by myself , needed to be 13 inch minimum depth to clear the knob of the receiver , and a 1x12 is only 11 1/2 wide , so I used 1x4 on the rear and 1x2 on the front and faced the box 

I should start on the doors , but I think I am going to stain it today and start getting some polyurithane on it , then get the cabinet mounted on the wall and the TV and sound hooked up and cover it with some plastic till the doors are finished , so I can get to use the TV sooner and figure which type of door setup will work best , had some suggestions from friends , bi-fold doors to one side , a hatch with either hood shocks or a pulley and rope to the roof , or piano hinges which a have a couple of  ,  to give a full view and doors not be in the way , cause like it is set up now the doors are kind of in the way as they don't ffully open 

huvcEY7VTwqux5RbqVZr%A.jpg

• Like 3

I stained the cabinet and I am hating  it , the grains of the pine wood just isn't soaking it up the stain evenly , that's 3 coats on there ------  Home Depot by me just quit selling Minwax and is selling Varathane now , which I tried and might be the problem , going to try and put some Minwax over the 3  coats already on there of the Varathane and see what happens , then  think it is going to get paint after that 

Got the bumpers off the pool table and in the shop for recovering , then the guy is coming Wednesday with the redone bumpers and to recover the one piece slat , 1 inch thick by  8ft x4  --- the pool table is a vintage 1969 Valley Black Cat Money Maker Tournament Quarter table , been having it for 11 years now , it has been converted to drop pockets  

6zleC9NrRfiTNcVZpfj48g.jpg

N7MB56MDTQG05TB+a3N%vg.jpg

15 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I stained the cabinet and I am hating  it , the grains of the pine wood just isn't soaking it up the stain evenly , that's 3 coats on there ------  Home Depot by me just quit selling Minwax and is selling Varathane now , which I tried and might be the problem , going to try and put some Minwax over the 3  coats already on there of the Varathane and see what happens , then  think it is going to get paint after that 

Got the bumpers off the pool table and in the shop for recovering , then the guy is coming Wednesday with the redone bumpers and to recover the one piece slat , 1 inch thick by  8ft x4  --- the pool table is a vintage 1969 Valley Black Cat Money Maker Tournament Quarter table , been having it for 11 years now , it has been converted to drop pockets  

6zleC9NrRfiTNcVZpfj48g.jpg

N7MB56MDTQG05TB+a3N%vg.jpg

Fish: The next time you are staining a pine project use a pre-stain conditioner first. It is a very thin "sealer" that helps the would absorb the stain more even. Most major stain manufactures sell  a conditioner. Typical instructions, put it on, let it soak in for a couple of minutes wipe off excess and apply stain immediately. Do not let the conditioner dry before staining. Helps even out the stain.

• Like 1

Shrade , I never knew there was such a thing as a pre-stain conditioner , going to try it out on the next project , don't have a pic , but I am liking it now , got some Behr prime and paint exterior black semi-gloss paint and put 1 coat on the cabinet and it looks great 

• Like 1

Shrade , thanks for the link , Minwax has the best in my eyes ---- here is a pic of the second coat of black , I like it ----going to start on the doors this week , hopefully , need to fix up my 300 from last nights ride , mix be doing a cv boot job 

Shrade , You seem well versed in wood work staining , what you think would happen if I were to put a couple of coats of Minwax polyurathane on top of the Behr black paint job I just put on the cabinet ---- I might have to do a test panel 

UHOZNjztT8Oq1522ASyztA.jpg

it should shine really good with 2 coats of poly on top of that black.

2 minutes ago, jeffo21 said:

it should shine really good with 2 coats of poly on top of that black.

I have never put poly on top of paint , don't know what type  of reaction might happen-----  I am the stain /flat /semi-gloss guy , not looking for agloss , more interested in protection as it is outside on the patio  ---- you got me " wanting " , so I am going paint a board right now and let it dry 24 hours then apply some poly and see what happens 

Just now, _Wilson_™ said:

fish..... you might also hit turbo twister up..... he's got some really mad skills at wood working . 

I was thinking the other day about not seeing Turbo and BlueZulu for a while now

I put a coat on a cut off of the same wood , going to second coat it tomorrow , then apply some MinWax poly and see what happens -----   but I won't get the exact same result as I stained the cabinet three times then two coats of black paint 

• Like 1

Pool table recovering  is finished and I won the first game on it last night , lost the second two , but made some sweet shots , got to learn to shot again as it is totally different -----------   a 8ft x 1 inch thick solid slate is very heavy , I wouldn't want a job as a pool table mover  ----- 

866GIAFTQFyyxXukhhUHyg.jpg

ZGQG5o8pRJCQ9mUXzUiJ4A.jpg

ZeJYR6XlRbyGjMmqSwF8FQ.jpg

• Like 4

I graduated from the You-Tube University of Cabinet Makers after 3 videos , learned how to make a shaker door for my TV cabinet project , by  using only a table saw , the door  frames came out nice to me , going to get some 1/4 plywood for the inserts this evening , hope to finish this cabinet this weekend 

eoUAIUbER+ekwObRoWiEBA.jpg

eoUAIUbER+ekwObRoWiEBA.jpg

5Faic437Q5GG9pXY%0qP0Q.jpg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Pool table recovering  is finished and I won the first game on it last night , lost the second two , but made some sweet shots , got to learn to shot again as it is totally different -----------   a 8ft x 1 inch thick solid slate is very heavy , I wouldn't want a job as a pool table mover  ----- 

866GIAFTQFyyxXukhhUHyg.jpg

ZGQG5o8pRJCQ9mUXzUiJ4A.jpg

ZeJYR6XlRbyGjMmqSwF8FQ.jpg

I have an old "Atlantic" pool table in storage.  My grandfather bought it back in the 50's, and converted it from tubes to leather pockets.  It came out of the Blytheville Arkansas Air Force Base Officer's Club. 

They had it in their den when my mom was a kid, and then it went into storage until I was about 14-15.  I went with a buddy to get it and set it up, and we couldn't budge ONE of the three pieces of slate.  4 of us (two buddies, my grandad, and me) managed to get one piece moved, and then my grandad hired a couple of huge guys to move the other two pieces. 

You get an old slate table like that they weigh a TON.

Nice heavy table.  When I was off at school they put it back in storage at the feed store, and termites got into it and ruined a couple of the rails.  I got it and cleaned it up, and it's under the house in the crawlspace.  At some point I'd like to get it out and refinish it and set it up again. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

I have an old "Atlantic" pool table in storage.  My grandfather bought it back in the 50's, and converted it from tubes to leather pockets.  It came out of the Blytheville Arkansas Air Force Base Officer's Club. 

They had it in their den when my mom was a kid, and then it went into storage until I was about 14-15.  I went with a buddy to get it and set it up, and we couldn't budge ONE of the three pieces of slate.  4 of us (two buddies, my grandad, and me) managed to get one piece moved, and then my grandad hired a couple of huge guys to move the other two pieces. 

You get an old slate table like that they weigh a TON.

Nice heavy table.  When I was off at school they put it back in storage at the feed store, and termites got into it and ruined a couple of the rails.  I got it and cleaned it up, and it's under the house in the crawlspace.  At some point I'd like to get it out and refinish it and set it up again. 

Sounds nice.  50s military base.   I like nostalgia.  My buddy and his wife from the flea market came over this evening.  They shoot pool in leagues and have a bunch  of trophies in there pool table room they live pool. They got the same table from the 80s.  They just got their table recovered also.  We shoot about 40 games this Evening.  I had about 20 beers.  Lol.   They loved the outdoor effect.   Don’t I need to measure a shock for you rear 450. 

Got the both shaker doors of the cabinet assemblies and sanded , paint today and made hung on the wall with new tv hooked up by next weekend 

lOUyvlFrT5iV5NRS52lq2Q.jpg

• Like 1

got some paint on the doors and dug up , cleaned and painted a couple of cast iron Fluer-de-Lis for the doors 

OPpvSmYTQ+WeGvOu5MiCyA.jpg

• Like 1

I use Minwax Helmsman “Spar” urethane finish on all my interior woodwork—mostly red oak on a two flight stairway I built. 99% finished Electric sprayer. Two - three light coats.

its waterproof scratchproof and doesn’t fade or darken

C372221B-D9C1-4323-9FED-2B9F738ACEDC.jpeg

Edited by Goober
  • Like 2

OK you woodworking fellers.

Wife insisted that we needed a humidifier in our room, even though we used radiators instead of forced air, and the humidifier has cause a black mold outbreak on the big window sills looking out onto the patio....

I pointed out that if it leaked, it would ruin the hardwood floors, so her solution was "I'll put a towel under it".   "Then the towel will get wet, won't do much good"

Of course, she put it on a towel...on hardwood floors...and of course it leaked, and wasn't discovered that it was leaking for some time.

So when she broke the news to me, by then we had a nice dark stain on the floor.  Interwebs said to use bleach on it, which I did, along with some 0000 steel wool.  That did a good job of getting the water stains out, but now I need to try to blend in the finish on the floor. 

Any suggestions?  Far as I know these are just waxed old hardwood floors.  Should I try just floorwax, or something else (stain)?

Jeep: Been thinking about your wood floor issue for a couple of days. If the floors are just waxed with no varnish you might try this.  take a small amount of a good floor wax, (Johnson's or  minnwax), carefully warm it up to get it very soft almost liquid, add a few drops of a good quality oil base stain mix thoroughly and apply after it cools. I did this on a set of revolver grips with satisfactory results. Would recommend trying this in an area that is hidden to get the color correct first. 

• Like 2

Sounds like a good idea.  The damage is done, so I can't imagine anything making it look worse.  LOL

Jeep , Murphy's Wood Soap is some good stuff for cleaning wood 

I used piano hinges on the doors , the gold is very reflective and might have to be painted black , have to wait and see on that 

took the old tv and cabinet off the wall , with all the decorations and wiring  , with cleaning up as a I went along ,  that was a 2 `1/2 hour job -----  about to mount the new cabinet on the wall as soon as I get some help , was moving along by myself and came up with a stand to put the cabinet on top of to hold it at the right height when drilling the wall , but I don't want to scratch it up trying by myself  , hoping to use them blue concrete anchors that drill in and hit the middle of the mortar and not damage bricks 

41vB8JCSRjKKXIwvZoNF5A.jpg

61308713004__6D67980E-73E6-4295-84D9-E197DCB0B743.JPG

RFQNnBhDQWecRUfbxTXp1w.jpg

SRf78AesRvq5A9uueEV2Qg.jpg

• Like 2