Fishfiles

Hobbies , Arts and Crafts

During my cabinet project , when I took the old cabinet down , behind the receiver I found this statue , it had a magnetic base and had got knocked off the top of the receiver and hit the ground and broke the plastic base a few years back  , this statue is very dear to me , it was my Grandfather's , it rode on the dash board of his ( I would say about  ) 1964 Ford Coral pink and wood grain station wagon , that when I was young took many vacations all over the country , this statue has been to the Grand Canyon , Disney World , Vegas , Pike Peak ,Clarsbad Caverns ,  just to name a few I can remember , I actually can remember when my Grandfather first got this statue and put it on his dash , you know how you can't really remember everything in life , I can vision this statue in his hand like it was yesterday 

epoxy the statue into a hydraulic fitting cap that was cut down , after some paint on the base it will look good and stand up on it's own 

fullsizeoutput_c9c.jpeg

• Like 4

Finally got the cabinet and the TV mounted on the wall , on to drilling a hole thru the top for wires and the wiring , the end is in sight , I don't want to be a cabinet maker 

fullsizeoutput_c9e.jpeg

• Like 6

TBRider , thanks --

If it would help , I would like to put some kind of small fan or dehumidifier type thing in this cabinet , we got a lot of dampness in the mornings here , the old cabinet I had about 20 small bags of that stay dry stuff they put in packages , seem to help , I would be letting a fan or what ever  run all the time , so it should be a small voltage draw device , any ideas of what to use 

After looking at all types of dehumidifiers , I went with a gun safe rod , pretty cheap at $21 and supposively made in the USA , hope I don't burn the house down , they have a lot of different  silica gel style ones out there , they need to be recharged and / or the media changed every month or so , I can see that being forgotten to do 

image.png

There are some of the wires and components to be connected.  Adding the dehumidifier to the mix. Hooking it all up is easy.  Keeping it neat is going to be time consuming 

479E3301-C397-4034-A827-343DF76E4F9D.jpeg

• Like 2

Fish: if possible anchor to a horizontal/bed joint, the vertical/head joints are the weakest of the two. 

30 minutes ago, shrade said:

Fish: if possible anchor to a horizontal/bed joint, the vertical/head joints are the weakest of the two. 

Shrade , Too late for that advice , it's up there now   LOL , I did go in the vertical boards of the back  , drill two 5/16 holes  thru the boards and 1/2 hole into the mortar of the brick and hammered  in 4 - 1/2 inch  lead anchors with 1/4 inch galvanized lag bolts 2 inches long , the cabinet  is glued and nailed ,  and in the corners of the top and bottom I have cabinet angles screwed in ( you can see them in the pics below ) , I have more of them angles and thought about putting a couple in the middle  of the vertical boards -----  I don't think it is going any where , not much weight on it , the TV is bolted to the brick wall and not the cabinet , the cabinet has just the cabinet weight and some components ----  I didn't want to drill into a brick , worked hard to keep the holes in the middle of the boards 

61308713004__6D67980E-73E6-4295-84D9-E197DCB0B743.JPG

• Like 1

I'm sure it will be ok, hurricane proof I'm sure.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, shrade said:

I'm sure it will be ok, hurricane proof I'm sure.

LOL , believe it or not , a cat 1 came ashore right over my house on the first day the TV and cabinet was put up , if it were a cat 5 in the right strike zone  , it wouldn't matter if there was 8  - 1 inch lag bolts thru  the horizontal boards , the house will be washed away 

the storm brought the gants ( I think some called them " can't see'em's " ) ,  I was getting it all wired  up , about 1/2 way , I hope, but they were eating me up , so it can wait 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

LOL , believe it or not , a cat 1 came ashore right over my house on the first day the TV and cabinet was put up , if it were a cat 5 in the right strike zone  , it wouldn't matter if there was 8  - 1 inch lag bolts thru  the horizontal boards , the house will be washed away 

the storm brought the gants ( I think some called them " can't see'em's " ) ,  I was getting it all wired  up , about 1/2 way , I hope, but they were eating me up , so it can wait 

I went out on the farm and mowed roads at 5:30AM Sunday morning. 

Got on the tractor, and kicked the bushhog in, and I'd gone about 100 yards, and was in the shade (low hanging branches from both sides, and it wasn't full on daylight yet) bugs were swarming all over the tractor.  I though "There was a wasp nest under the hood of the tractor and they are just now getting irritated enough to swarm me"

I jumped off the tractor and ran a few feet away and watched, and got out my phone and turned the flashlight on.  They were horseflies.  Never seen that many of them or seen them swarming like that, but they were thick.

I mowed for about 2.5 hours and I'll bet I got 100 bites on me from horseflies and buffalo gnats.  I was ate up when I got to the house, huge red welts all over me.

• Like 2

I have ridden in the woods when you stopped the deer flies would be all over you.  If you took off they would follow you like a black cloud and can keep up for a while.  I can barely out run them with gear reduction. We call them green heads , deer flies ,  the horse flys are huge and black 

I have run into a problem , I got just about everything wired up to the TV sound  system and working , but I can't get the sound from the TV to the receiver , right now I have two RCA type plugs out the back the TV audio out jack to the sat jacks in back the receiver and getting no sound , my old set up had a cable that the new tv doesn't have , it was marked S-video and ran in between the tv and the directv box , there was still RCA jacks between the tv and the receiver , not even sure if that is where the sound was coming from , the old tv had like 30 plugs in the back , this new tv only about 10 ----  the instructions show nothing about sound - ----  any ideas on the new style tv sound set up 

I called Samsung for  assistance , held on hold for 20 minutes and got this dude that sounded like he was hung over bad and I really couldn't understand him , he was no help what so ever -----  guess I need to call back today and hope to get someone else , their chat help on line from their website doesn't engage when I click the link 

Talked with Samsung about hooking the  sound bar to the TV , which they were pretty much no help and the bad English is so hard to deal with , India I would guess ,  other then they did  get me schooled a bit , TVs made after 2016 by Smasung no longer have RCA/Component outputs for sound , so the options are blue tooth speakers or optical cable , my older sound system has no optical connection  , so after doing some reading I think what I need is one of these convertor boxes pictured  below 

image.png

• Like 2

Samsung tech support and Geek Squad were both no help and  clueless , both told me to buy the wrong device ------ I have a gizmo on order , it is call a HDMI sound extractor with RCA /component plugs , they sell for $39.99 , hope this works 

S8HJVpwcSYCnw0MvfEQlXQ.jpg

Got another lesson in home theater this morning , started working on mounting the old 32 inch tv on this wall so you can see tv while shooting pool , had to move the sink/table over 8 inches and redo the plumbing , to get the room to slide the fridge over and mount the cabinet up on the wall same height as the cabinet on the other side the fridge ---

Having a party this weekend , so I stuck the tv/cabinet  up  on top that table , temp.  hook it up  and  planned to use it this weekend , I had snagged a 1 to 3 HDMI splitter off of a demo job a long time a go and planned on using it , I never knew the splitter had a light in it , till I hooked it up to HDMI port and it came on, and what the light does is tell you which one of the 3 splits is on , so you can only play one tv at a time , so I went shopping and lucky'a'ly learned that some HDMI splitters for multiple tv's require that both/all of the  tv's are the same size , etc , example a bigger tv and a smaller tv will not function properly , then there are other splitters that you can mix match the tv's , which equal out the draw  (  or what ever it would be called ) , so hopefully the correct splitter is on the way to take care of that --- I am going to be a home theater guru when this is over , LOL 

fx2Z7FfWQtWrrGt2vL2C9w.jpg

• Like 2

I guess I got cocky calling myself a sound system guru, the HDMI sound extractor showed up , installed it and I got the sound from the tv on the sound system, but only sound from Directv or the TV antenna , it won't play the sound from You-Tube or anything off the net as those sounds go into the TV via Wi-Fi ----You-Tube is where 90% of the music I listen to comes from , so I am bumming 

So now I am lost again -----  guess now I need a Wi-Fi sound extractor , if there is even such a thing ---or buy a new receiver that has a digital /optical port 

As far as the quality of the sound , it is unreal , took down the 2 Peavy speakers and added 2 Bose bookshelf speaker I had ,so it has 8 Bose hooked up ,  the max on the receiver is 71 , and you can crank it to 71 and still clear as a bell 

jCwsFJMZSq2FBAP1dxXpBw.jpg

• Like 1

kind of shocked no one here has stepped up .... we have an expert on just about anything  .... I'd hit slammed up.... i have to admit this one has me baffled ... 

I called my son in law.  He found this gizmo.  I picked it up this evening on the way home It’s called an optical/coax digital to analog converter.  This is supposed to do what I want to do play sound from tv/internet.  But I can’t even try it until I get the new Internet modem

1321F7B3-812C-4ECA-BFE6-5F6783D323A2.jpeg

• Like 1

Happy Days , the new Directv modem came in , internet is back up and the sound extractor gizmo up above worked , so now the WiFi sound of the internet plays on the TV ----  hung the old tv and cabinet up and made a shelf under it for pool table supplies , next project is a cabinet under the TV for pool sticks  ----    takes 4 remotes at the moment , think I can program the Directv into the TV's  remote 

got a set of Peavy 600 watts speakers for sale , they jam,  listed them for  $200 , forum friends = $150 

NMrTFzDKRkq+7glOi1movQ.jpg

fullsizeoutput_cab.jpeg

udOqBMu7QtGARyMdiqdHCA.jpg

61403411199__E390DA3B-B3DC-456A-A577-C2215B14F610.JPG

fullsizeoutput_cac.jpeg

• Like 1

i cant take loud sound anymore. to many bands when i was younger. i cant remember the last time i seen a movie, in a theater, either to quite or to loud.. i had to break off cigarette filters, an put them in my ears, just to get through the movie. lol

the same thing in clubs, where a band was playing. to loud, to speak to the person next to you. least it was quite enough in between songs. over 4,000 watts, an a jet engine was quieter decibel wise., while the band was playing, in a closed room.

that's an impressive setup... the four remote controls. i have three, one for the tv, one for the dish, and one for surround sound... I'm about as talented using those j/k as chatting via the smart phone haha! what's the deal on that golden horse shoe ? 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

what's the deal on that golden horse shoe ? 

The Golden Horse is actually  my  old beer  bottle opener , it just happened  to be the perfect fit for the MP3 player as a base / holder ----  I just did paint it gold , it was black , might have to go back to black 

That MP3 player will hold 3,000 songs and has a FM radio built into it , it has a rechargeable battery built in that will last two days and can be played while on the charger ------  I use the MP3 convertor off of You -Tube to convert the music to the correct format  , and download any song onto the I-Pad , then upload the songs into the MP3 and bring it along on the 4 wheeler , boat or my trucks , just one plug to connect  ---- them MP3 players are tuff , that one in the pic is about 10 years old now , amazed the battery still performs great , I have a couple of  newer one that I try to keep fresh and not take it on the 4 wheelers , the newer ones  hold 4,000 songs , they cost about $40 , great gizmo 

• Like 1

I hear you Wilson , I am not very good at programming remotes myself , I picked up this Jumbo Universal remote at a garage sale many years back and never did get it all worked out , it was brand new in the pack with instructions for like $2 the lady sold it to me  , might try and get it linked up with the basics --- this thing is huge , good for old folk ---  LOL ---

I am about to go hit the flea market right now , my buddy has a new load he is going to unload this morning ------  Slidell got a new indoor flea market , it opened last weekend , I got to make a quick  pass thru it , there are at least 100 vendors or more , and not totally full yet , air conditioned and a food court , might be my new hang out , seen some fine stuff , but the prices scared me off 

fullsizeoutput_cb0.jpeg

5 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

good for old folk ---  LOL ---

ha! I'm not touching that one .... lol ..... looks like you have a remote for everything! even the kitchen sink! you'd hate my radio setup haha ... 5 ham radios one hand held analog bearcat scanner .... two short wave radios ... one icom (the most complicated ) two digital police radios ... two digital scanners all Push button controled aka pita to deal with .... ESPECALLY when the power goes out!! .... as a rule .... I don't post pics of this setup .... cause I'm not suppose to be hearing alot of whats transmitted ....  

• Like 1