NB Floyd

Oil change

I bought some T5 Rotella 15w-30 synthetic blend because it was the only one in stock.  I have been using T4 15w-30.    

Changed the oil and went for a trail ride.   

And then later saw that the oil did not have the JASO spec listed on the bottle.  

It seems to start , run and shift great.  

Any one use this oil with a wet clutch ?

thanks. 

2004 Foreman 450 ES 

I would drain the oil right away and put the JASO spec oil back in.

Agree with THH, the only Rotella oil to be used with wet clutches is T4 and T6.  I don't know how quickly any damage is done but wouldn't run it before swapping the oil out....

• Like 1

Something to consider with oils is that the manufacturer has to pay for each of those certifications, so sometimes the classification might be met but the manufacturer might not have paid for the particular certification.

I have seen quite a few "Is T5 safe for wet clutch" threads on the BITOG forum (oil nerds) and everything that I've seen there says T5 is fine for wet clutches.  I run T6 because I like full synthetic and my machines shift easier and run cooler with T6, but I wouldn't be scared to run T5.

You could call Shell and ask them. This guy claims he did and they said T5 is wet clutch approved.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/is-rotella-t5-10w-30-ok-for-wet-clutch-bikes.215408/page-2#post-3344615

• Like 1

Put T4 back in the bike.   

I like my Foreman too much to experiment with a non Jaso oil.  

Using T6 next time might be worth the upgrade as the T5 did seem to make for easier cold starting. 

Thanks for everyone’s input.   

• Like 2

An update.   For my Next oil change I went with T6 rotella synthetic.   

The bike starts much better when cold.   And  may even shift better.   

also the oil light flicker seems to have really died down.      I did also drop the skid plate , cleaned the mud and trash out of it , then reinstalled. 

• Like 1