jstatham

1996 Foreman 400 Rebuild project-Top end Help!!

That's what I thought.  It is possible to do the chain without pulling the engine off the bike?  Or will it take about the same amount of time if I pull the engine and do it with easy access?  I have a new OE chain and tensioner ready to go.

Edited by jstatham

No its doable in frame , just pull front clutch cover and clutches and its right there 

Will need a 3 jaw puller for centrifugal clutch it comes off easily

some people tap the clutch off with a  hammer,  but its too close to the edge of the engine case for me

Do you have service manual?

Yep can be done with the engine in, did my chain a few years ago.  It is somewhat of a tight fit but with a couple extensions and metric tools it beats pulling the engine.  When I was in there I also did my chain sprocket, maybe see if your teeth are worn, or I would just change while in there.....

• Like 1

Ok I made a lot of progress today.  I got the front case split and the chain tensioner wasn't even touching the chain.  I cannot believe it didn't jump time. I got the new chain installed.  I was going to get a new sprocket but there are no new ones to be found anywhere. I looked on Ebay and mine looked just as good as those so I went with it.  I do have a question with the clutch.  I looked at the disc and they all looked fine.  When I put the bolt back in with the impact the clutches are now loose?  Did I over tighten or is this normal.  I tried to line the bolt up with the punch mark but afraid I may have went a spin or two to far.  Its hard to run the impact and see what's going on with the engine still in.  I posted a video below.  Let me know what you think and if you see anything in any of the other pictures I am missing.  I basically need to order some gaskets and rings.  I am also going to recheck the rod specs tomorrow and make sure its ok.  Any advice is greatly appreciated

IMG_9522.jpg

IMG_9524.jpg

IMG_9525.jpg

IMG_9528.jpg

IMG_9531.jpg

IMG_9532.jpg

IMG_9533.jpg

Correct I didn't want to go any further until I knew it was Ok that they were moving.  So you think I should install the springs and see if they tighten up?  I suspect it will.

Edited by jstatham
  • Like 1

I was reading thought the manual tonight and watching some you tube video and it looks like my 1 way clutch bearing is turning both ways.  I am thinking of replacing both clutches will all new stuff. They are both almost wore out.  What is the best source for the clutch bearing the OE one is 95.00 and the ones amazon and ebay can range from 15-20. I also thought of getting some used OE ones on Ebay that look at lot better than mine.  What are the best sources.

Used OEM, new OEM, or Shindy.

Do NOT get the cheap ones.  Garbage.

Your clutch plates will float until you get those four springs in place on the change clutch. They are what puts tension on the clutch plates. 

• Like 1

I am probably going to get used OEM off Ebay.  I can get clutches that look a lot better than mine and the bearing for about 50.  

Hello everyone I finally got this thing going today. I put new Shindy rings, new timing chain,new clutches and she fired right up without smoking and sounding like a sewing machine. My daughter and I drove it about an hour and so far so good. She is so excited. It’s going to be warm for a few days and I am sure she is going to break it in.  Thanks again for all the help. Hopefully this time it will last a while.

• Like 8