Archerychip

2003 Rubicon clicking noise related to angle sensor?

I’m a newbie here and am hoping someone has had this problem before and found a resolution. My problems started with the D1 D2 ESP flashing and no reverse. I removed and cleaned all the connections to the ECU and elsewhere. After clearing the codes, I no longer get the flashing D1D2ESP error and can now shift through all gears + reverse. Now I notice a clicking noise coming from the area of the angle sensor. It’s slow at idle and gets faster in relation to rpm. The clicking noise stops if I unplug the angle sensor while still running. The engine runs fine and can still shift thru all the gears. Plug the sensor back in and restart the engine, the clicking noise is back. I’ve tried the reinitialization process and it fails. Diagnostics give me a code 6. Any ideas????

Welcome to the forum. Code 6 is for the angle sensor (swash plate angle) system. I have never ran into something like this one. Has the angle sensor been removed or replaced recently? Was the clicking noise there before cleaning the connectors? Do the terminals inside the angle sensor plug look good and not loose (possibly pushing a terminal in when lugging in the sensor)?

Hello TooDeep. Ty for the warm welcome. 

I replaced the angle sensor when I realized that unplugging it made the noise stop. I did the ohm test and the original never went all the way back to zero when turning the dial. Just figured that was the problem so I replaced with a new OEM part. Unfortunately the noise is still there. I don’t think the noise was there before cleaning all the connections. It’s a definite click and I would have noticed. I can check the plug /terminals and make sure nothing is loose. Thanks for the ideas. Let me know if you think of anything else. 

Did you preload the angle sensor when installing it? It shouldn't be shifting if you didn't but I have to verify.

Remove the angle sensor and check to see if the shaft (on bike) is moving when you shift.

Edited by Melatv

Remove the angle sensor and check to see if the shaft (on bike) is moving when you shift.

Yes.. I did preload the angle sensor when I installed it. I’ll take the sensor out tomorrow and see if the shaft moves and let y’all know. Thanks for the suggestions. 

Ok. I disconnected removed the angle sensor and had to fool the computer into thinking the sensor was in place in order to start it. Once running I put it into gear and it shifted but the shaft didn’t move. At least not noticeably. Hard to do everything with just two hands. If I do the initilization process, you can hear the internal motor for about a second, then it stops and starts again. Only runs a fraction and quits... that’s when it throws the code. I can only get it to do that with the angle sensor installed. It won’t let me duplicate it when it’s removed. It fails immediately. 

Anyone know how critical it is that the angle sensor ohms go to zero when testing? My old one and the new one do not go to zero. They both read 50-60 ohms when bottomed out while doing the slow turning of the dial test. 

Hi: Are you reading the resistance right at the sensor or some where on the harness?

Hi Melatv. I’m reading it directly from the B and C connectors on the sensor. The original sensor went down to 60 ohms when you let it bottom out. I figured that was the problem so I bought a new Honda OEM angle sensor. The new one bottoms out at 50 ohms and I’m still getting the clicking noise when the new one is installed. 

I think the first gen Rubicon had some corrections in the manual on this test. I'll have to look tomorrow and see if I can find them. 

Hi: When you put the red & black leads of your meter together -- does the meter read zero?

I’ve done all of the troubleshooting diagnostics and it points to replacing the ECU. I ordered one today. Fingers crossed it fixes it. 

What is the purpose of the Angle sensor?  Cam timing?

Archerchip, did you ever resolve this issue?

8 hours ago, 01RUBY500 said:

What is the purpose of the Angle sensor?  Cam timing?

Archerchip, did you ever resolve this issue?

the angle sensor is used to let the ecm/c.d.i./ecu know if and when the shifting shaft has turned.