Chevymec

Lost my dog Friday...

After 15 1/2 years I lost my Boykin Spaniel, Cam. He had started going down hill the last few months with a few trips to the vet. I knew the time was coming, I knew what I needed to have done. Tuesday he was fine. Wednesday he couldn't move very well and wouldn't eat. I was in my shop and he would try to let out a bark and I would go over to him. Thursday same thing and I could smell a smell that I was told was a sign of the end. I gave him a long bath to get him cleaned up.  Called the vet Friday morning and took him in. That was the hardest thing I have ever had to do. The vet assured me it was the right thing to do. Within 30 seconds he was no longer in any pain. Before he passed, it looked like a tear ran down his eye....  I felt like a thousand pounds was lifted off my shoulders because I was no longer worrying about this moment. This picture is from about 8 years ago. He was still in  his prime. A year later he decided to fight with my in laws truck tire. He was in an animal hospital for about 2 1/2 months with a split diaphragm and fractured hip. . He had a limp but could still get a little run in here and there. He was the Alpha of our 2 dogs even in his shape. Now our 3 year old English Springer Spaniel is in control of his yard. 

Cam2.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Chevymec,

Cam was a good looking fella!

So sorry to hear, but as hard as it is, you do feel better afterwards knowing it is the right thing to do and he is not suffering and in pain any longer

I agree with you as being just so hard to do....

We just put our chocolate lab girl, Su, down recently, she was 14, one day she just could not get her back legs to work anymore

We had to carry her out to go to the bathroom laying down, clean her up etc

Its funny you mentioned a smell as she was giving off and odd odor I could not explain as well

After 2 days we took her in, and like you said it happens quick-  never had so many tears in a long time

She was a faithful companion to us all and grew up running the woods with all 3 of my boys, fended off bears and loved to go camping

I feel for your loss, time helps heal the pain,  and all the good memories will remain

My condolences and best wishes for a Happy Holidays and Bright New Year

-Ron

AKATV

• Like 7

A tear ran down my eye when I read about your loss.   OK, a lot more than one.  Cherish the memories and  smile with the thoughts a loyal friend and companion. 

• Like 5

Chevy, I certainly feel your pain.  Over the years I have had prolly 10-12 animals put down at the vet, never is one easier than the other as they all become part of your family.  This includes both cats and dogs.  The vets always ask if I want to be present with the pet and I have never refused.  It seems they are comforted knowing their family is there with them.  And yes once the injection is done it is a very fast decline which certainly helps, I have never had to experience any sign of their pain, just quickly falling asleep.  And also I agree once done it is sad but I always feel that sense of relief, never fun watching them suffer.

• Like 3

i think some people put out that smell. a lady got on the elevator once, when i went to see a doctor, an the oder was awful. like open festered wounds. that of flesh rot or something. not a dead smell exactly.

the pets are family, and it hard to give them up.

i feel your pain, an sorry for your loss.

• Like 1

Chevymac, 

Sorry for the loss of your furry friend. It's a tough thing, my daughter has a little one that we've grown really attached to funny little thing, gonna be alot of tears shed when this one goes. She might be homely but makes up for it in personality. They really do bring a lot of joy to the home, remember those times. FF

20211213_172254.jpg

20211219_185259.jpg

Nikon camera 150.JPG

Screenshot_20211219-221147_Gallery.jpg

• Like 5

I'm sorry for your loss. 

According to my family, I'm "not a dog person" because I don't treat my dog better than I treat my children LOL.

That said, they become family and losing them is always just as hard as losing a close friend or family member. 

I have a big bumbling clumsy Labradoodle now.  He's a big oaf, but so am I so we get along for the most part.

• Like 3

Thanks guys.

@bcsman, they asked if I wanted to be present. Not a chance I wouldn't want to be the last person he saw. Another thing I didn't know is that they cremated your pets if you wanted. I told them I was taking him home. They sent a sympathy card with his paw print on it Monday.

My morning routine is a lot different now that I don't have to take care of him.  

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

The Vet sent this to us the next week. Really ment a lot to me. Especially the paw print. I walked in the door the other day and asked my wife if she had feed Cam. Still have to get accustomed to him being gone. 

With in a few days after I buried him, the neighbors dog started to dig him up. His brother in law is my boss so I asked him to pass the word along . Neighbor said it wasn't his dog....  We knew 100% it was . Found for the 2nd time , the same dog had been here digging again. I passed the word again , but this time that if it wasn't his dog then he won't miss it if indolent come home. Boss said his sister was crying because she felt so bad, yet he wouldn't take responsibility for his dog. 3rd time , neighbor was outside and I let him know his dog was over here. Haven't seen it since and he finally apologized for it.  I had to grab two doors from some old incinerators  to lay over his grave.  

20220109_144653.jpg

• Sad 4

Chevymec,

That was pretty thoughtful of her. Sorry you had to put up with the neighbors dog. 😕

• Like 1

On 12/19/2021 at 4:25 PM, 56Sierra said:

A tear ran down my eye when I read about your loss.   OK, a lot more than one.  Cherish the memories and  smile with the thoughts a loyal friend and companion. 

Me too.