Freedomflyer

Can Am Maverick takeoffs

Well I made the purchase of some brand new take off wheels and tires off of a 2021 Can Am Maverick trail SXS. They are 12" wheels with Maxxis Bighorn 2.0 27" tires on them. My 570 Outlander came with stock 25" tires so was a bit concerned whether there would be any issues of room in the wheel well. Everything I read and researched about going up a tire size or two said it wouldn't be an issue so pulled the trigger and drove the 240 miles to go get them. It was a good enough deal and worth it to drive the distance. Was able to get both wheels and tires for less than I could purchase a full set of the Bighorns for. Will take the tires off of the rims and mount them on my beadlocks with the orange rings. Then mount the original tires on the other wheels and sell them to recoup some of my purchase price back bringing the cost down even more. Plus they matche the machine better, and the wife wants what she wants. Will be a great tire for her and will give her more confidence while riding. Look pretty good on there as well. They just look huge in comparison to the stock tires.

20211219_155454.jpg

20211219_155725.jpg

20211219_160300.jpg

Edited by Freedomflyer
  • Like 1

My buddy put 28 Outlaw 3s  on his 570 Can-Am , after 1/2 dozen belts , new HD clutch , cracked transmission housing , 4 or 5 cv-shafts and a couple of diffs , he took them off   ------ if you take it easy ,  you should be ok 

Fish, thanks for that info, I  have had the thoughts in the back of my mind wondering if these might be an issue or not. After I saw them posted on Craigslist I started researching what effects they might have on the machine, clearance issues, clutching issues, belt issues.  I typed in a lot of questions into Google  which in turn took me to a bunch of posts on the Can Am forum with guys talking about up sizing. It was a general consensus that I would be okay as long as I didn't go any larger than 27" tires. The Bighorn 2.0's are somewhat aggressive but not as heavy as the original Bighorn tire. The threads I read where guys were having issues were because they had extremely aggressive tread and were 28" or larger and having to put lifts on their machines,  cut the plastics back in order for them to fit, and to re-clutch. They were all pretty much mud riders and my wife and I don't do that type of riding. Pretty much slow trails, occasionally crossing  small streams, and through 12-14" deep mud puddles from snow melt off that may be 20 - 50ft long. Not hard core at all, probably wimpy to most riders standards.  She doesn't really like to get her machine that dirty 😁.

Anyway I  think we should be ok as you said if we take it easy which we do. Appreciate the your time and comment. FF.

I was telling my neighbor about the wheels and tires and may have sold the wheels to him for his Maverick,  that will get me a couple hundred bucks back on this purchase.  

Edited by Freedomflyer
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Freedomflyer said:

Fish, thanks for that info, I  have had the thoughts in the back of my mind wondering if these might be an issue or not. After I saw them posted on Craigslist I started researching what effects they might have on the machine, clearance issues, clutching issues, belt issues.  I typed in a lot of questions into Google  which in turn took me to a bunch of posts on the Can Am forum with guys talking about up sizing. It was a general consensus that I would be okay as long as I didn't go any larger than 27" tires. The Bighorn 2.0's are somewhat aggressive but not as heavy as the original Bighorn tire. The threads I read where guys were having issues were because they had extremely aggressive tread and were 28" or larger and having to put lifts on their machines,  cut the plastics back in order for them to fit, and to re-clutch. They were all pretty much mud riders and my wife and I don't do that type of riding. Pretty much slow trails, occasionally crossing  small streams, and through 12-14" deep mud puddles from snow melt off that may be 20 - 50ft long. Not hard core at all, probably wimpy to most riders standards.  She doesn't really like to get her machine that dirty 😁.

Anyway I  think we should be ok as you said if we take it easy which we do. Appreciate the your time and comment. FF.

I was telling my neighbor about the wheels and tires and may have sold the wheels to him for his Maverick,  that will get me a couple hundred bucks back on this purchase.  

Bolded part is what causes problems.  You'll be fine with those on your rigs, especially given you're not bogging on them.

• Like 1

Thumb control is what it is all about ,  Can-Ams just have  too  much power on demand ----  another thing I learned from riding with them , if they get stuck and are not moving , hook up a rope or winch cable , don't even try and get out on your own  , it will smoke the belt 

• Like 3

Yeah,  I have read that, we don't have heavy thumbs so usually don't get ourselves into that kind of situation. I got stuck once in thick wet snow, got high centered so was just spinning with no resistance, hooked onto my brothers machine and winched myself out. 

20210403_132008.jpg

• Like 1