Chevymec

My 500 has started smoking

I have noticed recently that my 2005 Foreman 500 has started smoking. Not when cold or it has sat for a few days, but when I drive to the hunting stand and sits for a few hours. When I start it up it smokes pretty bad.  Park it and the next rime I start it up no problem.  I didn't notice this until I changed the oil and filter a few months a go.  Napa gold filter( installed the right way) and Valvoline ATV 10w40. Usually in the auto world I would say this is a drain back issue and oil sitting in the head and leaking by the valve seals but it will do it after a cold start also also. The motor was rebuilt about 1000 miles ago with a Web cam and Big Bore kit. Head was checked and jug was bored.  Do these have a crakecase hose or some type of pcv valve? 

I did check the oil and it was low. I have the short dipstick and added oil till it was at the middle of the 3 hash marks not screwed in. Couldn't find my manual to check to make sure this is correct , but I believe it is.

My guess ---- Wallowed out wrist pin journal  , egg shaped the bore on the bottom of the stroke 

#22 should be your crankcase vent hose 

image.png

Not sure how I missed this one.

On 12/24/2021 at 10:16 AM, Chevymec said:

I have noticed recently that my 2005 Foreman 500 has started smoking. Not when cold or it has sat for a few days, but when I drive to the hunting stand and sits for a few hours. When I start it up it smokes pretty bad.  Park it and the next rime I start it up no problem.  I didn't notice this until I changed the oil and filter a few months a go.  Napa gold filter( installed the right way) and Valvoline ATV 10w40. Usually in the auto world I would say this is a drain back issue and oil sitting in the head and leaking by the valve seals but it will do it after a cold start also also. The motor was rebuilt about 1000 miles ago with a Web cam and Big Bore kit. Head was checked and jug was bored.  Do these have a crakecase hose or some type of pcv valve? 

I did check the oil and it was low. I have the short dipstick and added oil till it was at the middle of the 3 hash marks not screwed in. Couldn't find my manual to check to make sure this is correct , but I believe it is.

Not sure how I missed this thread, but if it only smokes when recently ridden, I would agree with your assessment that it's oil leaking down through the valve seals.

There is a crankcase vent hose that is on the left rear of the engine and goes to the airbox. 

Does it smoke under load?  If you have a bad rod that's egging out the cylinder it should be wearing things to the point where it will smoke if you ride it hard at all.  My 09 has a bad rod and it made noise for awhile, then started smoking  under load.  Doesn't smoke when cruising, only when I put a load on it in the mud or revving it up.

Your symptom sounds more like a head issue to me.

• Like 1

On 12/28/2021 at 11:25 AM, jeepwm69 said:

Not sure how I missed this one.

Not sure how I missed this thread, but if it only smokes when recently ridden, I would agree with your assessment that it's oil leaking down through the valve seals.

There is a crankcase vent hose that is on the left rear of the engine and goes to the airbox. 

Does it smoke under load?  If you have a bad rod that's egging out the cylinder it should be wearing things to the point where it will smoke if you ride it hard at all.  My 09 has a bad rod and it made noise for awhile, then started smoking  under load.  Doesn't smoke when cruising, only when I put a load on it in the mud or revving it up.

Your symptom sounds more like a head issue to me.

When it does smoke on start up. it does smoke under throttle. I don't really get on it hard a lot because I usually have one of my boys on it with me and he is holding the rifles. Today is the last day of hunting season so I will pull the rocker cover off here when I get a chance.

If it’s smokes under throttle your rod is probably shot and has egged out the cylinder 

While washing the Foreman today, I noticed that it does smoke when reving it up cold. So it looks like I might have to dig in deeper. Does anyone know what the actual size the BigBore kit was that High Lifter use to sell is? I emailed them today since my old login was no good. Does anyone else sell one or am I going to have to go back to a stock replacement piston and jug?

I don’t know of anyone else who made a big bore for the air cooled 500s. If I recall correctly the cylinder walls got a little thin and a lot of them had trouble with overheating

I would see if HL offers anything and if not go back stock

HL never answered back when I emailed them about the rings. I will probably just get a stock top end kit. We went riding the other day and my middle son told me it was hard to see me because it was smoking pretty bad. I guess I don't look back enough lol. 

Other than factory Honda parts, is there a preferred aftermarket brand top end kit? Just looking on eBay, there is about $300 difference in Aftermarket and Honda. 

16 hours ago, Chevymec said:

Other than factory Honda parts, is there a preferred aftermarket brand top end kit? Just looking on eBay, there is about $300 difference in Aftermarket and Honda. 

I use Shindy pistons.  Made in Japan.  I get them from biker chicks ltd on ebay.  Guy's name is Grant Hawk.