Outdooreagle

1999 Honda fourtrax300fw no fire

35 minutes ago,  Outdooreagle said: 

1999 Honda fourtrax 300fw. No fire. New stator, new pickup coil. New plug, new plug wire/ coil. New cdi from dealer. New diode. Switch and key which seem to be ok. Not grounded. Voltage going into cdi unit on both sides of the connectoron the blue/yellow. Black /yellow returns from cdi to coil, no voltage there. Seems like cdi still but don’t want to buy another one just to try it. Problem started when we were riding and it just quit firing. Any suggestions? Thanks 

close, had to move your thread. you say you bought new c.d.i. from dealer ?, what dealer would this be ?. amazon or ebay ?, what was the price my I ask ?. if it was under 50 bucks ?, then it sure wasn't a dealer or oem c.d.i. !..lol. was stator matched to flywheel ?, was reg/rec tested ?. did you try moving kill switch back and forth to clean contacts inside switch ?.

Cdi was $100 or so from Honda dealer. Stator matched and retested. Reg/ rec not tested. Would this cause no fire due to wires from pickup coil not going thru it?

2 minutes ago, Outdooreagle said:

Cdi was $100 or so from Honda dealer. Stator matched and retested. Reg/ rec not tested. Would this cause no fire due to wires from pickup coil not going thru it?

yeah, if reg/reg is bad ?, it wont convert the AC voltage back to DC voltage. have you tested the stator to see if it's good ?, I know you say you just replaced it ?, but still !. is stator from honda ?, or after market ?.

most important question, when you turn the key on, is oil light coming on, then going off ?, and is there a neutral light showing on dash ?.

Yes. Neutral light stays on. Oil light illuminated for 3 secs or so and goes out. Stator is good. Tested myself and took to shop to have tested. I’m getting voltage for pickup coil all the way to the cdi and on both sides of plug going into cdi on the blue yellow wire. What I don’t have is and voltage on the black yellow returning from cdi to coil. 

1 minute ago, Outdooreagle said:

Yes. Neutral light stays on. Oil light illuminated for 3 secs or so and goes out. Stator is good. Tested myself and took to shop to have tested. I’m getting voltage for pickup coil all the way to the cdi and on both sides of plug going into cdi on the blue yellow wire. What I don’t have is and voltage on the black yellow returning from cdi to coil. 

ok, sounds like your kill switch is stopping power from getting back to spark plug coil ?, or the spark plug coil is a after market ?.

what should I try in regards to kill switch? I’ve used test light on it and it passes voltage in the on possession and stops voltage in the off possession? Also, I don’t have voltage before the coil, like coming out of the cdi. 

How would reg/rec affect the voltage to cdi, if the pick up coil bypasses it and goes directly to the cdi? Only the 3 yellow wires go thru the rec/reg. Thanks 

5 minutes ago, Outdooreagle said:

what should I try in regards to kill switch? I’ve used test light on it and it passes voltage in the on possession and stops voltage in the off possession? Also, I don’t have voltage before the coil, like coming out of the cdi. 

does the part number on this new c.d.i. match any of these here -->https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/atv/1999/trx300fw-a-fourtrax-300-4x4/wire-harness ?.

1 minute ago, Outdooreagle said:

From a Honda dealer. The only number on it is 1610

what is the part number on the package that the c.d.i. came in ?. red label , white back ground, some numbers and letters on it.

if you only paid 100 bucks for the c.d.i. ?, then you did NOT buy/get a oem c.d.i. , if you look at the c.d.i.'s on that link I post ^^^ ?, you will notice they are around 150 from partzilla.

3 minutes ago, Outdooreagle said:

I don’t have the package. This arc was given to me by my son in law bc he was tired of trying to fix it. I’m feeling his frustration. Lol

then how do you know the cost of the c.d.i. was 100 bucks ?..lol.

Just now, Outdooreagle said:

What is the a or ac stand for after model numbers? 1999 Honda fourtrax 300fw a or ac?

I dont know what the diff is between the A and AC, when I look parts up for models, I always go by the first letter, in this case, 1999 trx300fw A.

Just now, Outdooreagle said:

My son in law drove 45 minutes to get it from dealer and paid 100

then your son in law got taken !!..lol. oem from honda is 150 from what I just looked at from partzilla, AND PARTZILLA IS THE CHEAPEST AROUND COMPARED TO DEALER PRICES !!..LOL.

6 minutes ago, Outdooreagle said:

Maybe they sold him after market part. Who knows. Just don’t want to spend another$150 hoping this is the fix. 

my money is on the c.d.i. but !!!!!!!!!!!!, if you did not get the correct stator ?, as in a matching stator to the flywheel ?, then this will cause issues as well !. are you keeping this or flipping it ?. if your keeping it ?, then spend the 150 bucks, will be worth it. don't cheap out on china after market parts !!!!.

you could always search for a used stator, for the CORRECT year/make/model from ebay for less than a new oem c.d.i. . still, my money says the c.d.i. is not the correct c.d.i.