Outdooreagle

1999 Honda fourtrax300fw no fire

35 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Use the A  , the  AC designates if the atv was built to meet specs in a certain State , might be a brake light requirement for Maine and it will read TRX300AM 

On the CDI , if you want to save a few bucks , you can go with Rick's MotorSports on the link below , just be sure you only buy directly from Rick's and not off e-bay or amazon ,there were a bunch of fake Rick's out there , I have Rick's in both the 1st gen and 2nd gen 300s , you have a 3rd gen which is 98-2000 , note if you have a fan on your 300 , which I doubt , the Rick's 3rd gen cdi doesn't support the fan and there is no wire for it 

https://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/OEM-Style-Honda-CDI-Box-15_620

now this ^^^ looks just like what he has, I wonder if he got a '' fake '' ?, I dont trust any ricks c.d.i's , I use nothing but oem from honda.

I’m not referring to the link you posted. I was referring to the link that fishflies Posted from Ricks. Ricks part looks like the one I have. The atv is a 4x4 no doubt. Sorry your done with the posting. Thanks for your help. 

4 hours ago, Goober said:

Hey @_Wilson_™
got a pic of the CDI from your 00?

my 98 is at the job site

We wanna see whats your CDI/connector look like?

My bad @Goober I missed your post, let me know if y'all still need a pic, and I'll dig one up.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

My bad @Goober I missed your post, let me know if y'all still need a pic, and I'll dig one up.

post the pic ya noob !..lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Okay...... Be a little while.... I just checked my pics ..... It's been deleted, but I'll grab y'all one, and just a note this is the ome cdi! Original equipment 

noob ? Haha ya okay i hear ya.....

1 minute ago, _Wilson_™ said:

Okay...... Be a little while.... I just checked my pics ..... It's been deleted, but I'll grab y'all one, and just a note this is the ome cdi! Original equipment 

noob ? Haha ya okay i hear ya.....

wellllllllllll..if goober asked for a pic..what makes you think he changed his mind ??..lol. noob !!!!.lol.

Just now, _Wilson_™ said:

Well....... I did go back and respond ........... I'll,take care of it... Lol... I just simply missed the post.

first sign of old age, missing post, second sign of old age..not listening to other folks that did see the post !..lol.

1 minute ago, _Wilson_™ said:

Well..... I am getting up there (long in the tooth) haha

if anything like me ?..less hair too !!..lol.

Just now, _Wilson_™ said:

slightly receding hairline...... Lol

uh huhhhhhhhh...lol.

45 minutes ago, Outdooreagle said:

That part on the link looks NEAR IDENTICAL to the new one I have. Wires coming off of it, and even the little 4 digit number stamped on it. Are you confident Ricks are true oem? According to dr shadetree, these wires coming off apparently denotes a “China knockoff”! Thanks 

Rick's CDIs are not a OEM part , Ricky started out building stators , use to call it Rick Stators and branched off and starting building CDIs , he is the only one that makes a after market cdi that I would buy , his second gen 300 cdi removes the rev limiter ( adds 1000K rpms  and adjust the curve for performance ) , his 1st gen cdi is stock / no enhancements , I am not sure on your 3rd gen if any performance enhancements are incorporated into it or not ------ Rick's doesn't sell on e-bay or amazon , beware of fakes , it is possible that some of his CDIs are on e-bay or amazon  being sold by other people , but don't take a chance and call him direct for a purchase 

for a while OEM was selling CDIs with a pigtail to adapt to the replacement CDI , from what I have read you can use a Rancher 350 CDI also on a 98-2000 300 

The CDI in your pic doesn't look like a Rick's to me and I have 5 of them and never had any problems out of them , but then  I only have one 300 that is in the 3rd gen  and that one has the OEM CDI still , so I have no actual hands on experiences to share , only what I read 

6 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Rick's CDIs are not a OEM part , Ricky started out building stators , use to call it Rick Stators and branched off and starting building CDIs , he is the only one that makes a after market cdi that I would buy , his second gen 300 cdi removes the rev limiter ( adds 1000K rpms  and adjust the curve for performance ) , his 1st gen cdi is stock / no enhancements , I am not sure on your 3rd gen if any performance enhancements are incorporated into it or not ------ Rick's doesn't sell on e-bay or amazon , beware of fakes , it is possible that some of his CDIs are on e-bay or amazon  being sold by other people , but don't take a chance and call him direct for a purchase 

for a while OEM was selling CDIs with a pigtail to adapt to the replacement CDI , from what I have read you can use a Rancher 350 CDI also on a 98-2000 300 

The CDI in your pic doesn't look like a Rick's to me and I have 5 of them and never had any problems out of them , but then  I only have one 300 that is in the 3rd gen  and that one has the OEM CDI still , so I have no actual hands on experiences to share , only what I read 

I hear and read, ricks c.d.i's are ok ?, but !!!!!!!..like you said ^^^, there is a ton of fake on ebay and amazon !!!. if everyone would take the time to scroll down in their listings ?, they could read that they are imported ?, which means..china knock-offs !, ( not your link fish, the ebay link I posted ) :-).

If you order a OEM 1998 TRX300FWA CDI now days , this is what they give you in the pic below ------- the original cdi for your bike plugged right into the existing harness 

mPTR6djPQYm63OZBt14dbQ.jpg

Just now, Fishfiles said:

If you order a OEM 1998 TRX300FWA CDI now days , this is what they give you in the pic below ------- the original cdi for your bike plugged right into the existing harness 

thats reads 1998 bro ???, his is '99...they the same ??.

From what I read a awhile back Ricks were being  produced in Argentina ---  most likely  in a sweat shop behind the Catina 

fish, why would they put a pig tail on an oem harness ?, why not just plug right into the c.d.i. from the plug on harness ?, this makes no sense to me.

5 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

so what is the reason for the pig tail if you could just plug the c.d.i. straight into the harness without the it ??????.

Yes  , 98 to 2000 ( 3G = third generation ) has the same set up ------ 

Shade , I  think what happened with the adaptor for the harness was , since the early Rancher 350 use the same CDI , they started producing one CDI instead of the extra cost of making two different ones   and supplied and adaptor to make it work 

I guess I need to stop by my honda dealership, and have a word with my bud there !..lol.

Just now, Fishfiles said:

Yes  , 98 to 2000 ( 3G = third generation ) has the same set up ------ 

Shade , I  think what happened with the adaptor for the harness was , since the early Rancher 350 use the same CDI , they started producing one CDI instead of the extra cost of making two different ones   and supplied and adaptor to make it work 

ok, but what are the chances of any and all c.d.i's from trx350 ranchers working on all trx300fw's ??..slim to none I bet !..lol.

if it were me ?, i'd buy the oem c.d.i. from partzilla, plug the dang oem c.d.i. into the harness WITHOUT the pig tail, and be freaking done with it , problem solved !.

I don't think you can plug and play  without the adaptor now days , it is like a conversion kit ------  I do think there was a time when you could and / or still can if you use the old style OEM CDI , that is if you were to find one used >>>>>>  Jeep is the one that has gone thru this before , I remember him knowing a lot about the Rancher / 3G 300 CDI swop  

I'll have to wait for the rain to lets up before i can that pic, I've got my shop packed full of equipment , got no room to crawl in under the bike.... Sorry fellas.... I'll see if i can dig up the pic from the old forums

(called on the count of weather) 

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Sad 1