LedFTed

Linux, an other OS, operating systems

Did you go with BeQuiet because they were cheap or did you seek out the brand?

Either way good choice. I like those and Noctua the best by a mile.

Linux is a great choice too! Are you virtualizing it and what distro are you running?

Great job!

On 8/21/2020 at 10:22 PM, oh400ex said:

Linux is a great choice too! Are you virtualizing it and what distro are you running?

Great job!

i researched, an found Be Quite. it is too. 5 fans, 2 with the case, two on the MB, one with the power supply.  i've been running lubuntu, for some years, though i got the latest puppy, on sda 2. i havent got into virtual as yet. i plan on it.  i didnt find Noctua in my research. Be Quite is really quite, an i can hear the fans running, least some of them. nothing like before. at least i think i hear the fans running, it might be the 5.25 disk. in the long run, it dont matter. when the freezer, or the refrigerator, kicks on, they will drown out the sound. i might get my hearing back sum, in my right ear. 😁 PC is on the right. ;~}

The MB comes with Window's 10, i have to find a spot for that. i might need it, for some applications. i havent used windows, except for XP, for a long time,

way past over due. XP barely runs now. still got to format the SSD, welp, i said enough for now.

• Like 2

i know i can hear this pc running. just mostly like if i had a stethoscope, an put the end on the pc, / instead of a doctor putting a stethoscope, on my chest, or back, to hear sounds. the only time i hear the sound my computer makes, is when its deathly quite, or my tinnitus gives me a break.

an the start up., still working on that.. the PC , makes a bit of noise when it starts up, usually last a 1/2 second or so, then it gets really quite..

• Like 1

the Sabrent Q NVMe M.2, doesnt have any support for XFS, but, i got the fastest email response when i asked about this. 1 day. 

they said, as long as linux has the program, it should work. they do have support for ext4., and of course windows 10, maybe a touch more, else wise. so i'm a go.

i got two more memory cards, while i was at it. it only make sense, linux runs in memory, the more ya got, the faster it works.

• Like 2

Ya thats right, you are free to partition and format the SSD with any filesystem that your OS supports. XFS is a great choice on Linux since it is a proven enterprise-grade filesystem and XFS is also one of the fastest performing filesystems of them all. We are running XFS on our atvhonda server SSD, its bulletproof and very fast! Keep us updated on your build if ya can.... I take it ya didn't win the derby this past weekend, ehhh?

On 9/9/2020 at 10:04 PM, retro said:

Ya thats right, you are free to partition and format the SSD with any filesystem that your OS supports. XFS is a great choice on Linux since it is a proven enterprise-grade filesystem and XFS is also one of the fastest performing filesystems of them all. We are running XFS on our atvhonda server SSD, its bulletproof and very fast! Keep us updated on your build if ya can.... I take it ya didn't win the derby this past weekend, ehhh?

Yep, ;~D, but i didnt lose much. $6.oo. i figure if i can win on a $6.oo bet, git some real cash, why bet it all away. i know i got no real talent for betting to make a living at it. the biggest bet i won, was, only that three of the horses, were looking at the camera, and i liked some other factors, maybe a jockey, or a trainer, or a color, i forget, half knowing how to read a form, an half on hunches, plus, i like the names of some of the horses, i like greys on rainy days.

the only problem being, too many grey horses in a race.

as far as my build, ssd, the sabrent, i will keep ya updated, soon as i figure it out, an how to do it. ed

Edited by LedFTed
  • Like 1

mostly the only the 5.25 ROM make noise when ya use it.  the PC itself, only make a brief sound, when it starts. if it wasnt for the light on the front, when the screen shuts down, you wouldn't know its running. i never knew liquid freon, thats when it condensed, made so much noise, so many noises, in the lines.

i guess ill get a HHD, for windows. read on line that ever time Windows updates, it changes the boot loader, tries to get rid of grub, make the boot loader respond to bios type boot that windows has.

i got a 64GB thumb drive i could stick windows 10 on. its not like im gonna use windows 10 much. the only reason i wanted to use it in the first place is, to download my MRIs, or,X-rays, CT scans how often does that happen? 1 a year, or 2 years. anyway i got 4 partitions on the SSD, with 894GiB left.

i dont think i will need a SWAP partition. maybe ill just put one on the SSD, in case a distro wont download unless there is a swap partition.

rEFind, a boot manager, one of the people there said ya could just have a swap folder.

it'll be next summer, before i figure that one out. sounds good though, if it works. 🙂

the drive supports vertial reality. hope i spelled that right. [run in a vertial machine]. supposed to be more secure.

If I were you I would put a Linux distro on the SSD along with a small Linux swap partition (16 GB max, it'll never be written to or used by Linux so make it small). Let Linux have the entire SSD drive.... standard stuff. Then if you want to run Windows you can either add a cheap hard drive for Windows, or run Windows inside a Linux window using VirtualBox. If you choose to run Windows as a virtual machine in VirtualBox you can create several Windows VMs which will be contained as files inside a folder on Linux.... then you won't need to buy a hard drive and Bill Gates along with his phony WinDOS will be jailed like they both deserve to be. 🙂

• Haha 1

Ha, Ha, Ha, good advice. didnt Gates get rich of of other people, taking their ideals. i think i asked this before. 3 or 4 years ago. 🙃

Just now, LedFTed said:

Ha, Ha, Ha, good advice. didnt Gates get rich of of other people, taking their ideals. i think i asked this before. 3 or 4 years ago. 🙃

Sure did. Just like anyone who owns a company of that magnitude. Same can be said about Steve Jobs, Bezos, Branson, Musk pretty much anybody who rises to that level.

At least Bill has committed to giving away a large portion of his money. Can't totally discount their foundation... they have done some good work.

He (in my mind) could be doing a lot worse.

Charles ‘Chuck’ Feeney the owner of "duty free" stores in the airport has to go down as the best billionaire in history.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/09/16/billionaire-89-says-hes-happy-to-be-broke-after-giving-entire-8bn-fortune-to-charity-13281560/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LedFTed said:

Yup, we talked about some of his thefts on another forum. He stole the source code for DOS from an alcoholic and the poor man ended up homeless and died while living on the street. He's an evil psychopath... has no conscience, no empathy, no concerns at all for his fellows. And he admits those facts. He works for the royal family & their central bankers. He, his wife and their children have never been vaccinated. Vaccines are for cattle and sheep, according to Bill. He's right about that IMO.

• Like 1

^^^^@retro

Thomas Edison was the creator of the think-tank. i think he got most of his ideals, taking from others,  N. Tesla being one of them.

the donations, of those that got rich off of others, kinda sour me.

Often ya here the phrase; "it just business"; as if, thats an excuse..  for getting rich off of others.

I couldn't do it. 

share the wealth, just dont take it from others.

Edited by LedFTed
spelling

On 8/21/2020 at 10:22 PM, oh400ex said:

Great job!

lubuntu 18.04 for now, on my 5,25 HDD, i am thinking about virtualization.[closest i can come up with spell check], got ''Lubuntu-desktop-amd64.iso'' to start with on the SSD. 🙂

doubt i'll put much more, two or three, an the windows10, is enough, more that enough[windows10], sometimes, i got to use windows, an google, some more, like facebook, u-tube, i didnt mention twitter, anywho, the list goes on. vertial is the ticket. + some more.

On 9/17/2020 at 10:39 PM, LedFTed said:

^^^^@retro

Thomas Edison was the creator of the think-tank. i think he got most of his ideals, taking from others,  N. Tesla being one of them.

the donations, of those that got rich off of others, kinda sour me.

Often ya here the phrase; "it just business"; as if, thats an excuse..  for getting rich off of others.

I couldn't do it. 

share the wealth, just dont take it from others.

For $500 Alex, what are human parasites? 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

so many choices, i'd say those that want to take from you, blood, money, spirit, freedom. tear ya down, instead of build ya up.

Sponges...

the only reason i havnt put linux on the SSD, is, i havent figure out how to do the checksum. i get lost somehow at, cd Downloads, concerning the disto.iso... i got two picked out so far, [distro's], lubuntu-20.04-amd, an fossapup... fossapup is like bionic puppy, a

Australian 64-bit version.

i only been using lubuntu since 2016. just now getting the instruction books. oh well.. just goes to show ya linux is some easy to pick up, plus get addicted too. goodby windows. pleased to meet ya though. [not] 🙂

Edited by LedFTed

On 10/9/2020 at 9:09 AM, LedFTed said:

i havent figure out how to do the checksum

If you are running a version of lubuntu already then its pretty easy. Ya got two method choices, one manual, one automatic. Here goes the manual method... just because its Linux and ya need to learn how to command both methods. 🙂

First open a browser and navigate to http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/releases/20.04.1/release/ where you must download the .iso & sha256sum files.

Download the http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/releases/20.04.1/release/lubuntu-20.04.1-desktop-amd64.iso to a directory. Then click on https://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/releases/20.04.1/release/SHA256SUMS to view the sha256sum in your browser for your downloaded .iso file.

Open a terminal and cd to the directory where you saved the .iso file. For instance, lets say that you saved the .iso file in your "/home/downloads" directory... you would open a terminal and at the prompt type the following two commands (press the enter key after typing each line):

cd ~/downloads
sha256sum lubuntu-20.04.1-desktop-amd64.iso

The results of those two commands should produce the following:

0727253098c998c0b7b7963326690419710cdce2479472ca7cfe7adda7a31174 *lubuntu-20.04.1-desktop-amd64.iso

Compare the sha256sum that is shown in your terminal to the sha256sum that is shown in your browser at this link: https://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/releases/20.04.1/release/SHA256SUMS

If those two lines of text match then your downloaded .iso file is official and is ready to burn onto a blank DVD. If those lines do not match then your .iso file is corrupt.

Method two is much easier though, because the sha256sum checksum is compared for you automatically by the sha256sum program. The steps go something like this.... we will use a terminal to accomplish all of these steps, its faster and easier. And geeky-er too. 🙂

• Create a downloads directory and then cd into it.
  • Download the .iso file linked above to a directory.
  • Then download the SHA256SUMS file linked above AND the SHA256SUMS.gpg file to the same directory as the saved .iso file.

So... open a terminal, then download all three files into the same directory by following this example (we create a "downloads" directory first, then cd to that new directory, then download all three files using wget and finally, we verify the checksum using the sha256sum program):

mkdir -p ~/downloads
cd ~/downloads
wget https://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/releases/20.04.1/release/lubuntu-20.04.1-desktop-amd64.iso
wget https://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/releases/20.04.1/release/SHA256SUMS
wget https://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/releases/20.04.1/release/SHA256SUMS.gpg
sha256sum -c SHA256SUMS 2>&1 | grep OK

The automatic checksum result returned from that last command line should read:

lubuntu-20.04.1-desktop-amd64.iso: OK

If it says "OK" following the .iso file name then you're ready to burn that .iso file onto a blank DVD. If "OK" is not returned then your .iso file is corrupt and you'll have to download it again.

If I can help ya just hollar!

• Like 1

I forgot to mention... in case ya already have the .iso file burned onto a DVD then you can verify the checksum of the DVD by typing the following in a terminal:

sha256sum /dev/cdrom

If you have more than one CD/DVD drive then you may have to substitute /dev/cdrom for /dev/cdrom1 (or /dev/cdrom0 on some machines depending on the Linux distro. Optionally, you can check the integrity of the DVD while booting from it as well, via a boot menu option.

13 minutes ago, retro said:

If you are running a version of lubuntu already then its pretty easy. Ya got two method choices, one manual, one automatic. Here goes the manual method... just because its Linux and ya need to learn how to command both methods. 🙂

First open a browser and navigate to http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/releases/20.04.1/release/ where you must download the .iso & sha256sum files.

Download the http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/releases/20.04.1/release/lubuntu-20.04.1-desktop-amd64.iso to a directory. Then click on https://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/releases/20.04.1/release/SHA256SUMS to view the sha256sum in your browser for your downloaded .iso file.

Open a terminal and cd to the directory where you saved the .iso file. For instance, lets say that you saved the .iso file in your "/home/downloads" directory... you would open a terminal and at the prompt type the following two commands (press the enter key after typing each line):

cd ~/downloads
sha256sum lubuntu-20.04.1-desktop-amd64.iso

The results of those two commands should produce the following:

0727253098c998c0b7b7963326690419710cdce2479472ca7cfe7adda7a31174 *lubuntu-20.04.1-desktop-amd64.iso

Compare the sha256sum that is shown in your terminal to the sha256sum that is shown in your browser at this link: https://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/releases/20.04.1/release/SHA256SUMS

If those two lines of text match then your downloaded .iso file is official and is ready to burn onto a blank DVD. If those lines do not match then your .iso file is corrupt.

Method two is much easier though, because the sha256sum checksum is compared for you automatically by the sha256sum program. The steps go something like this.... we will use a terminal to accomplish all of these steps, its faster and easier. And geeky-er too. 🙂

• Create a downloads directory and then cd into it.
  • Download the .iso file linked above to a directory.
  • Then download the SHA256SUMS file linked above AND the SHA256SUMS.gpg file to the same directory as the saved .iso file.

So... open a terminal, then download all three files into the same directory by following this example (we create a "downloads" directory first, then cd to that new directory, then download all three files using wget and finally, we verify the checksum using the sha256sum program):

mkdir -p ~/downloads
cd ~/downloads
wget http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/releases/20.04.1/release/lubuntu-20.04.1-desktop-amd64.iso
wget https://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/releases/20.04.1/release/SHA256SUMS
wget https://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/releases/20.04.1/release/SHA256SUMS.gpg
sha256sum -c SHA256SUMS 2>&1 | grep OK

The automatic checksum result returned from that last command line should read:

If it says "OK" following the .iso file name then you're ready to burn that .iso file onto a blank DVD. If "OK" is not returned then your .iso file is corrupt and you'll have to download it again.

If I can help ya just hollar!

i think i might just yell. before when i did a checksum i had windows xp. an it had a program that did it fore ya. it was either 12.04 or maybe 14.04, was about 2016. both were LTS. 12.04 comes to mind.. i have the files on the desktop, an in the downloads folder or what ever. i made duplicate files. now just to do it. ubuntu an linux dont explain this in a way i can understand. so i am still running on the 32 bit drive. so to speak. HDD. the SSD is partially formatted, i just got to get the checksum figured out. then i will have two os an plenty of room to add more if i chose.

i did burn lubuntu 20.04 to a dvd.  do i need to put it in a player for this to work?

51 minutes ago, retro said:

I forgot to mention... in case ya already have the .iso file burned onto a DVD then you can verify the checksum of the DVD by typing the following in a terminal:

sha256sum /dev/cdrom

If you have more than one CD/DVD drive then you may have to substitute /dev/cdrom for /dev/cdrom1 (or /dev/cdrom0 on some machines depending on the Linux distro. Optionally, you can check the integrity of the DVD while booting from it as well, via a boot menu option.

well, one of my burners is /dev/sr1 the other is /dev/sr0. the distro runs a program check that says it is 100%. do i need the distro in the drive? i would think so.

i havent burned fossapup as yet. puppy has come a long way, since Barry started it.

why do both drives say read only, when you use accessories, then click on disks?

Edited by LedFTed
  • Like 1

You can check the Puppy Linux .iso file in the same way as explained above then. Or, since you have two DVD drives you could boot Lubuntu from your first drive, insert the Puppy Linux DVD into the second drive and in a terminal type:

sha256sum /dev/cdrom1

The fossapup64-9.5.iso.sha256.txt file is with the .iso that you'll download, from here:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/puppy-fossa/

• Like 1

you type faster than i can ask a question. 🙂

i gotta eat, so i will be out for a while, i figure if i can do 2 slices of Pappa Johns, i'll be out till the afternoon.

i bought a book; ubuntu unleashed, just got delivered today  2016 Edition. it fits, that was when i got hooked on linux. it has a CD with it also. expecting another book soon. the book i got is only 788 pages long. not to put any fear in potential linux users. i have went since 2016, without knowing much of anything about linux, why pay when its free.

Edited by LedFTed

i haven't done this yet. though i plan to. gotta see the spine surgeon today to discuss things. i dont put much stock in it though. at least he comes from John Hopkins, in Florida. the knife in your back, is better than the laser, IMO. guess i'll play it out. sometimes ya get lucky.

cards an horses, dont hit till they do. an they hit good. i'll never see the money, but i played double or nothing till i got to a million dollars., playing pool. shoulda stopped at $30. least i might have got some money. technically i'm a millionaire, but then reality set's in., if ya aint got the gold, or at least the money in your pocket, ya aint got nothing. from a bet. so i'm a tailspin millionaire. even if he had the money. i'll never get payed off. so goes the world.  

Edited by LedFTed