LedFTed

Linux, an other OS, operating systems

fossapup checks out. i already had all the downloads including the checksum's for both distros, just couldnt get it to work.

sha256sum [/dev/cdrom], worked on fossapup. this time, i'l put fossapup in, start pc, then run the same command, to check out Lubuntu.

lubuntu, does a self-check when it starts. it should be fine. however, i will run the checksum.

i got two RW drives, unlike most that still use these.

i already had them new, for i started, an bought a case for it. might as well use them.

that didnt work out, but i did find out, fossapup, dont support UUID, if this is spelled right. i think its still tied to the phone system, instead of, allowing for satellite, or cable. can be added, if ya know how to do this. i can still put fossapup, on the HDD. for a light dristo, fossapup, seems to have alot packed in. maybe more than Lubuntu. whatta i know.

3 hours ago, LedFTed said:

that didnt work out, but i did find out, fossapup, dont support UUID

Got no idea what you're referring too.... UUID is not distro-specific, as it is used by fdisk to label & identify large disk volumes/partitions (as opposed to old versions of fdisk ID-ing disk partitions using the /dev/* device tree). So every distro released within the last few years includes a recent modern version of fdisk that can handle partitioning of large disks by UUIDs by default. You must be talking about something else eh?

To list partitions that have UUIDs assigned by fdisk you can run either of the following on the command line:

sudo blkid | grep UUID=

Or:

sudo lsblk -f | grep -v loop

You can view the partitions that are mounted by their UUID by viewing the contents of your fstab file like so:

sudo cat /etc/fstab

Now that ya got me going on UUID usage lets talk about UUID prevalence elsewhere and how/why they're used for tracking & fingerprinting.

UUIDs are created and exist as 128 bit integers. They are large data structures, but they are easily stored in databases... so they don't index very well, but indexing is not important when using unique identifiers to manage data, since only a few UUIDs are ever needed to track and exploit an individual human over the course of 100+ years. 🙂

Every computer has a hardware UUID assigned that cannot be changed by the owner. You can generally view your computers UUID in the BIOS setup utility. Like your network interfaces unique MAC addresses, hardware UUIDs can be read programmatically and sent/stored in large, shared databases by any number of evil govcorps as the user browses the Internet. Windows and Macs are the most promiscuous offenders in this regard as those two OSes are designed exclusively around (humanly unreadable) UUID usage.

Internet browsers also support the use of UUIDs, both for cookie generation & storage and in many instances, solely for tracking/identification purposes. Here is a study that touches on the spying capabilities provided by UUID retrieval capabilities built into several popular browsers.

Study ranks the privacy of major browsers. Here are the findings

Note that Firefox is essentially owned and controlled by Google, since Google have donated more than $16 million bucks over the years, to the Mozilla foundation. Firefox and Google Chrome are essentially the same products...

UUIDs are used extensively by Facebook, Google, Microsoft and other large spy.govcorps to rewrite file names when users upload photos or videos, for tracking purposes as well.

The parasite ruling class corps have got ya by your UUIDs! Resistance is futile!!! Haha... 🙂

• Haha 1

i kinda figured that. its hard to stand, with so much pressure on the UUID's. an them pulling on the short hairs. 😁

regular people dont stand a chance, not do we. an, i lean less than i classified, myself, as regular people., anymore.

just another dupe.  once a kool-aid believer. more or less. most less. the Kool-aid, is tasting awful lately. so is everything else. 🤢

i noticed Firefox, didnt feel right, some years ago. just, thought it was me. Oh Well !! Shat Happens., splats on a fan. spreads across.

Edited by LedFTed

On 10/17/2020 at 2:35 PM, retro said:

Got no idea what you're referring too.... UUID is not distro-specific, as it is used by fdisk to label & identify large disk volumes/partitions (as opposed to old versions of fdisk ID-ing disk partitions using the /dev/* device tree). So every distro released within the last few years includes a recent modern version of fdisk that can handle partitioning of large disks by UUIDs by default. You must be talking about something else eh?

probable so, or, my interpretation thereof.,

a whole new meaning, of ghouls and ghosts, in October....

Edited by LedFTed

On 10/19/2020 at 1:40 AM, LedFTed said:

probable so, or, my interpretation thereof.,

a whole new meaning, of ghouls and ghosts, in October....

i read it wrong, for the install.

puppy has changed, since i last used it, maybe a decade ago. the Frugal install, makes no since to me,. i haven't kept up, for a while.

Fossa pup ?'s, on the install. i gotta show some pictures, 1st. next post.

from what i understand, frugal install works off the iso., in a folder, and, you can put many distros of Puppy there. an Puppy runs off the memory, not the drive.

a frugal install, can run 10 times faster, then, an install to a partition. the frugal install could be more secure.

still looking for a towards world. that doesn't track ya, not, because they cant, cause, they have no interest in tracking ya. Oh Well!!!

Edited by LedFTed

1st., is my HDD drive, 2nd.,  my SSD.

DSCN2728.JPG

DSCN2726.JPG

Edited by LedFTed
  • Like 1

i cant show you the thunderbird files i got, it is to large.,  cjf5xa5m.default-release.

i tried to sneak in to get these files, to get my passwords on Firefox, and make sure i had my emails on thunderbird.

i got no ideal why /dev/nvme0n1p4 is ext4. anyway i can get to both drives. lubuntu18.04.4 32 bits on HDD drive, an lubuntu 20.04, 64 bits on the SSD drive.

the Puppy dristos are giving me some problem. fossapup is from down under, an bionic pup is from the isles, like england. both instruct in english, but, neither do in backwoods, country, kentucky. a separate language, from the rest of the states. USA. 🙂😃

more later.

I see that your Fossapup partition (/dev/nvme0n1p3) is running on an XFS filesystem, but its mount point is /media/e... something. I don't understand why its being mounted on /media/....?

I see that your Lubuntu 20.04 partition (/dev/nvme0n1p4) has the EXT4 filesystem which was probably setup by default by the Lubuntu installer routine. You can wipe that partition and format it to XFS if ya want to, but you'll have to enter into manual (Advanced?) setup mode when ya reinstall Lubuntu to make your XFS filesytem choice stick. That partition is also presently mounted on /media/. Is there a reason why you're mounting them on /media/ rather than their own "/"? Wanna fix them?

Both Fossapup and Lubuntu are on very small partitions too... At least one of those two (your most often utilized) is gonna need a lot more disk space... you'll fill up fast.

What are your plans for the unallocated space remaining on the NVMe SSD, do you intend to install other OSes? I guess a better question might be: How would you like the SSD drive to be configured? Can ya list the OSes ya want on the SSD and the order that you'd like to boot menu them?

Nevermind... I see that you mounted those partitions on /media/ while running Lubuntu 18.xx on your hard drive (/dev/sda). I wasn't paying attention, sorry 'bout that.

Whats the fat32 partition for, its flagged as "boot"...? And I don't see a standard UEFI partition anywhere... unless UEFI is the hidden partition labelled "bios_grub"? That layout don't look right to me.

the bios grub partition black is just in case some linux distros need it. can ya show me a standard UEFI partition, i dont know.

Fossa pup, is just labeled, i cant figure out how to download it, it has too many options an i dont know what the choices mean.

/dev/sda, only has one distro on it, lubuntu 18.04.4 as soon as i can copy the stuff i want, i'll put 18.04.5 on there, which is good till 2023. an i can get it in 64 bits, bit if i want.

Dont you have to have fat32, for a drive to boot? i know what i what to say, but dont know how to say it. i know im confusing, i confuse myself. /dev/nvme0n1p4 has lubuntu 20.04 LTS on it, 64bits, linux swap P5, P1 anP2 are just for boot, an P3 so far is empty.

the /dev/sda drive, i was using windows, only good for 4 partitions, and wasting money, more or less. i havent changed the format yet, just dawned on me. thick as a brick, i am. any way lubuntu is on the 1st partition, and swap is on the 2nd.

i dont necessarily need 18.04.5 . ^^ just the stuff of of it. [i come from a very stubborn family, we cling to our belief, even ifs it wrong, too much so]. ya ought to here of some of the grudges we carry. ;~}

i need to rethink all of this. the searches conTROLLed have limited me. 🥶🥶

Edited by LedFTed

Well, maybe the Fat32 partition is the UEFI partition, since it is flagged as boot?

You can find out if you have the proper GPT partition table by running GParted again, select the nvme0n1 drive from the dropdown, then click on View > Device Information from the menubar. If the Device Information shows that the NVMe SSD drive has a "msdos" partition table, then it is not set up right and the disk will need to be re-partitioned.

But if the Device Information shows "GPT" as the partition table type then it's set up correctly... and the Fat32 partition is a valid UEFI partition.

Verify that the partition table is GPT before we continue... if not we gotta fix that first.

1 hour ago, LedFTed said:

i need to rethink all of this. the searches conTROLLed have limited me.

Haha... yup, I know exactly what ya mean, google.govcorp monopoly have destroyed the Internet. I got your back though... we can go step by step until ya get your new toy set up the way ya want it to be. Don't need no stinkin' google. 🙂

EDIT: I see that your Fat32 partition is flagged "boot, esp" so that is definitely your proper UEFI partition (ef00 type). So just verify that ya have a GPT partition table and we'll proceed to install & setup your distros.

• Like 1

well; i want to work on the sda drive 1st. i think, it only has 4 partitions because i set it up when i had windows and was dumber than i am now. 😉 so, im getting all my passwords off Firefox, pretty much took care of thunderbird, then i can delete sda or /dev/sda, an start over. lubuntu 18.04.5LTS only last till 2023, its familiar, started with it 2016. was 14.04 LTS i think, not sure. i got to find 35 passwords at least. Firefox dont show the whole password no more. then im done, an i can erase the hdd drive an start over.

i wrote them all down. But they are scattered in different notebooks, an on different drives. lucky, i got some older computers, and i might stick the xp drive in one if i cant password or find them in my notebooks.

i also found that i can run an iso. in a folder, an it is ten times faster then installing it in a partition. not sure how the update works with an iso., in a folder.

/dev/nvme0n1p2 doesnt have a file system, in case i need bios grub, for some distros, i put it there just in case.

/dev/nvme0n1p4 has lubuntu 20.04 LTS installed 64bit. i may have to resize it. Yep

i want to start over on the /dev/sda drive i can put more than 4 partitions on it cant i?

i need 3.5G for grub to install lubuntu 18.04 LTS 64 bit, which dont seem right. i'l post a picture, thats worth a thousand words aint it.

it'll be on my next post in this tread.

somehow, a finger pointing at myself, the /dev/nvme0n1 isnt working. i got to unplug /dev/sda to show a picture. hope i didnt ruin that drive. i been playing around, what ya do with linux, and might ave screwed up. when i changed the boot order on the motherboard. also i took the SSD drive out for a few days, but it worked after i put in back in, till i was playing around. i think i messed up grub2, too.

all these pictures i got to post. 🙂

Edited by LedFTed

No worries, lets see what ya got? Are you booting /dev/sda or not booting at all?

22 minutes ago, retro said:

No worries, lets see what ya got? Are you booting /dev/sda or not booting at all?

am booting /dev/sda. + i got cd or dvd to get on line.

Was GRUB on the NVMe SSD when you unplugged that drive? I don't have a clue what ya did to it.... but ya may as well begin to install your OSes on the SSD.

If I were you I would unplug your /dev/sda hard drive so that the SSD drive is the only drive. The first Linux install routine that you run from DVD will install GRUB on that drive and make it bootable. Then install your 2nd distro on the SSD.... the installer will add that distro to the boot menu. Once you have all of the OSes installed on your SSD drive, shutdown and reconnect your hard drive. Then hollar at me and I'll provide ya with the commands you'll need to type to add your /dev/sda OSes to the GRUB boot menu. At that time if you wish to change the boot order (or choose a default) of your several Linux OSes I'll show ya how to do that too.

Are ya ready?

On 11/19/2020 at 3:02 AM, retro said:

Was GRUB on the NVMe SSD when you unplugged that drive? I don't have a clue what ya did to it.... but ya may as well begin to install your OSes on the SSD.

If I were you I would unplug your /dev/sda hard drive so that the SSD drive is the only drive. The first Linux install routine that you run from DVD will install GRUB on that drive and make it bootable. Then install your 2nd distro on the SSD.... the installer will add that distro to the boot menu. Once you have all of the OSes installed on your SSD drive, shutdown and reconnect your hard drive. Then hollar at me and I'll provide ya with the commands you'll need to type to add your /dev/sda OSes to the GRUB boot menu. At that time if you wish to change the boot order (or choose a default) of your several Linux OSes I'll show ya how to do that too.

Are ya ready?

not yet, for so reason, i cant access nvme drive. been trying to take a picture ta show ya. i been ready. soon as i can take a picture.

all of a sudden, my electric cameras went on strike, an wont take a picture of the screen. lol

been one of those 2 weeks. 😀

on the good news, if true, the 64 ford tractor holds 60 lbs oil pressure. i had it worked on., sciatica. for sure it doesnt smoke.

just got to figure out the timing in that old girl.

on the side, bros ex, came back again. to do laundry maybe, ad pick up a few things. i thought she was stuck in rehab. no such luck.

ever time she comes over, she drops off Gremlins, like dogs an cats drop off ticks an fleas. HaHaHa!

well i gotta take a picture.

have a good one, till Jan 3. and i hope you got no ex problems going on in the family.

On 11/19/2020 at 2:43 AM, LedFTed said:

am booting /dev/sda. + i got cd or dvd to get on line.

just cant get to the Nvme drive. it shows with Gparted etc. shew-wee, i forgot how to get to the bios, on the MSI motherboard.

it flashes on the screen, but my old eyes cant read it. [Brain]. an its too fast for me to read.

you wouldnt believe the small writing anymore. i might have too get a microscope! the writing was so small, i couldnt see it with a magnifying glass. wish i'd bought that one that come off a Locomotive, part of the headlight system, near an 1" thick.

Edited by LedFTed
  • Haha 1