LedFTed

Linux, an other OS, operating systems

apparently ya cant use Thunderbird, without a key, so i'm still finding things out. T-bird is a third party party site. Nothing to do with O'naan  or whatever, so ya got to set up a separate encryption key. i still got att.net. mail. so i got to go through the ringer, to get it back.. only had the mail over 15 years or so.. i can see why they make ya jump through hoops. not really. corp, is cra--p.

anyway, when i get my system back up, some kind of future, i'll start working on puppy again. still an unsolved thing, an i cant, nor rest till i do..

Well, i'm still finding things out. gonna use the onion browser. some like firefox, setting up.. yet looks better than the dark web.. Tor....

now, i'll tell ya a story, an forgive me, for yammering on so.

i was going to tenderize some sirloin, but couldn't find the tool, soo, i used my east-wing to make it softer.. 22 0zs. i didnt know it could get so flat. an i barley tapped it. the east wing, is still corrugated somewhat. and made an impression.. hope the sirloin, shrinks up an gets to its original height.

now ya can see why, i had second thoughts about posting. my eyes are still salty..

i couldnt find the food thread, an its just as well, i didnt..

ya cant have your meat, if you dont eat your pudding.

Teachers. leave our kid alone. is that the same song..

Edited by LedFTed
no reason

my wireless mouse is giving up the ghost, got it in 2002. the only thing left to try is the other transmitter receiver. never the less, its had a good run. 19 yrs.

Edited by LedFTed

Mojeek is the search engine im trying out now. its fairly easy to install in Linux firefox browser. way different search thing the one DDG uses so far.

Well. with a Mojeek search, i got; 1 to 10 from 130,902,918. i remember seeing something like that, before google.  the search engine might need to grow up a bit before it reaches its full potential.

18 hours ago, LedFTed said:

Well. with a Mojeek search, i got; 1 to 10 from 130,902,918. i remember seeing something like that, before google.  the search engine might need to grow up a bit before it reaches its full potential.

i was wrong on that last statement. i had quite looking.

as far as the search; it does find more different results, although it dont always find the term you are looking for.

search choice may be confined to 4 country's in the European Union.

Time for another search engine try.

i got rid of Mojeek an took two more on. but i got to say something about DDG. its on the list also.

DDG total changes with a VPN. better searches so far a actually looks promising. who wouldda thunk it.

Ya know, it just about kills me to say this. i was wrong again. the reason DDG was better, i was using DDG lite..  😬

i keep rambling so i do. anyway; i had una mint, Q4OS, an lubuntu, on the ssd drive. una mint gets to conTROLL the firefox browser. i wasnt to fond of that, not that firefox or any browser, is to be trusted.

so i deleted mint. i forgot about grub., till i didnt. Q4OS was till working. i forget what i did then, i wanted lubuntu to work so i deleted it. an put it on a different partition. now lubuntu worked, but not Q4OS. missing operating system. i tried to fix the problem, spent many hours on line, too many., the answers, just parts of the answer. it feels like its been a month or so, finally i gave up. instead of putting lubuntu on the ssd drive, i thought, i will put in on the hdd drive. that worked. now i got both drives working, got grub2 back, an get to be perplexed on the next problem. always 50 irons in a two iron fire. Oh Well

i was having some problems getting an OS to work. i solved it in a round about way. i deleted lubuntu an put it on the HDD drive. ps[ i gotta work on copying my passwords]. sooo, i want to put lubuntu back on the SSD drive. sounds easy enough, but i was wondering if i can have it on both drives? not that i want to do this, but can it work? i'm just curious.. ..

Yeah you can have duplicate OSes.

• Like 1

i can download zfs, just not sure how much to download with the package manager. also i wonder if you can change file systems after ya got an OS,

say you want to change in midstream, so to speak. you were using a file system, an decided to change it.

of course i might have the option to get zfs from the iso., after i put it on disk. IDK..

You can't safely and reliably change the filesystem format after an OS installation. Ya gotta create the desired filesystem before you install.There are ways to workaround the issue by copying data onto a backup archive, then writing the backed up data back onto a different filesystem, but its more work than its worth and no guarantees....

• Like 1

yea; i thought as much. some of the linux sites ya go to, dont make that clear. thats the trouble, learning it, the learning is vague at times. i cant say much for windows neither. i was still using xp in 2015 up to 2016. i made the switch to linux close to the time i was at a different atv forum. windows 7 was a total switch, i didnt want to have to learn that. might as well learn something useful., an i'm still trying.

anybody using linux on their phones, and if so, what kind of phone??_____________

WELL; its been a while, since i wrote here. anyway,, Q4OS, i put too many programs on and messed it up. i ran into problems. try to edit this, before i get to the timer, to say which had the most impact..

lubuntu, 20.04 works well on the HDD, but not on the SSD, so i replace it soon, (should have done it a year or so ago). an i will make the HDD drive just storage. [they are are better for storage i understand).

i finally got the desktop to do WI-Fi, $8.oo for the linux friendly antenna, at amazon. plug an play for linux, imagine that., not that it dont work on windows or mac.. now for a funny...

i thought my motherboard video quit working, for almost 4 days, i have thought that. then looking at the back of the computer today, i realized i plugged the monitor into the top port, instead of the middle port.

stupid is as stupid does. least i didnt order a new motherboard.. was thinking about it. lol on me.

over a week ago, i was  messing with the front end of the SSD drive. messing dont even cover it.u know the obvious rules, dont fix what aint broken. dont know why i still do that. so, i take the desktop, an the laptop, over to me other sisters house, where i can get online during the day. so, i am working on the problem, and my new wifi att., quits working. so i try to reinstall, an it dont work still. sooo, i been here wed, the 11th, an just now found out, i been typing the last past of the password in. instead of typing 023, i been typing 032., just didnt see it.. that plus when i did a firefox update in the meantime, it erased my bookmarks an passwords. so, i got to lookup all my passwords again, i did find a copy of my bookmarks i made on jan 15 2022.

Oh Well,, welcome to my world. lucky i made that bookmark.html... and i do write my passwords down, just cant remember where i wrote them most the time.. lol

i think the latest lubuntu, 22.04, has been corrupted, to be with the time's we are in. could be wrong, i doubt it..

Well,, i seem to dominate this thread. So it goes.. i aint been on the forum for a couple of days, playing with the SSD drive, i decided to see if i could delete another os, on the same drive. apparently ya can, but i forgot to take into account the boot loader, an turned the desktop off, before i corrected it, or installed another OS. so, through much searching, an stuff, i finally deleted the SSD drive, plus i had to delete the HDD drive. it conked out a week later.
fun in the fast lane. then to top it off,, i took the batteries out of my laptop, and it shut down. so to say,, while ur having so much fun, might as well break everything. it aint like i got nothing else to do. aint life complicated.
i firget y'all aint in my world/\.
so, long story short, i am back..

well;; i got no interest, for a while. thats OK. such is life.

on a different subject, does anybody use a VPN, and do they work. i cant find any that i think is worth trusting. at least, if nothing, ya got a false sense of security. perhaps there are some better ones, VPN wise.

any thought?

Every VPN server located within the USAcorp states/territories is required to maintain user logs and hand them over upon request to you know who. So you won't find one you'd pay to use around here. Most overseas VPN services keep user logs too, I've never found one that didn't. I'm sure the ruling evil bastids provide private VPN networks for themselves because they are a lot more "equal" than us morally centered subjects. It's a little club and we can't get in it. Thankfully.

• Like 1

my 2002 HPdeskjet5150 finally gave up the ghost. so what is a printer that works and dont use to much ink. that was great on ink usage.

my 2002 and 2023 wireless mouse's still work, but one of the receivers gave out. looks liker i might have to get a new mouse pretty soon. Logitech..

Just saying that Swiss cows, and Brave, search engines have become a bit of a disappointment, i'm only finding ratings-searches, and not much else. its like pick from these 5 names or else. it might be 10 names, but ya get the drift..

personally, i get bored with a top 150 song list in just a few days or less., course that was when i had FM. i aint got nothing now yet, but when i do, i dont want someone else picking out what i listen too, the song-list i mean.

Well; i'm going to post this here 1st., before anywhere else. i finally got the words i need to ask this. i'm not looking for an e-mail client, but an e-mail server i think. i've had att.net mail, but they joined with yahoo, an are fairly much worthless to me, plus i got linux, and maybe its a useless task to find a decent mail server. at least i have to try though. so, i putting this forward for now, and see if i can get any replies..